• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What single disc for total noobs (planning company outing).

Photoguy

Par Member
So I've ended up being tasked with ordering a pile of base plastic so ~20 people from my company can go out and play a course that is near where our all-company retreat is being held. Of course, this is last minute, my local stores shelves are "end of summer" bare, so I've gotta internet order in the next day or two.

There are only a couple of us at the company who play regularly. Most everyone else is a total beginner. Sizes & strengths vary, but I'd say most of us aren't muscle-heads.

What discs to order? Keep in mind that "having fun" is more important than "long term learning" for these folks. So suggesting a "comet, because it will teach you a lot and show flaws" isn't really helpful here. Money isn't there for buying a driver/putter 2 disc setup. So that won't work. Each person gets one disc.

I was thinking along the lines of a selection of Shark, Stingray, Leopard, and Buzzz with a couple of them being 150 class for smaller folks. I personally can't stand putting with drivers of any sort, and I felt like mids would have less of a chance of getting lost way off in the rough. No particular preference between innova and discraft, I just happen to be more familiar with innova's "beginner" discs.

I would go Stingray. Easy for a beginner to throw but someone who is catching on fast can still appreciate the flight of it.

Last edited:
Maybe buy a third JK Aviars, a third Polecat and a third Buzz? Polecat for its resemblance to a freestyle Frisbee and Aviar / Buzz for no bullwhip straight shots? Then ppl can choose and then switch around.

Shark would be a good choice. The local club used them for the same thing with great success.

Maybe buy a third JK Aviars, a third Polecat and a third Buzz? Polecat for its resemblance to a freestyle Frisbee and Aviar / Buzz for no bullwhip straight shots? Then ppl can choose and then switch around.

I've gone back and forth on both the polecat and avairs (well, putters in general). I love me some polecat and keep a 150 in my bag at all times. But I never really know if it's easier for a total beginner to throw or not. Same with putters like an aviar, obviously easier for putting and approaches. But will beginners find it hard/annoying off the tee? The deeper rims of lids/putters just seem harder to deal with for a lot of people. Or is that just something that people who are trying to learn "real" DG drives find more difficult?

Meh, give them Whammo brand golf Frisbees. Who would use them other than complete beginners?

Comets have good flight for beginners, not just used for fine tuning a developing players form...... I have had the best results with stingrays. Prolly takes the least power to get it on a glide and gets little hyzer flips for the people that can barely throw a disc. Slightly lower profile than a putter so it's easier to release clean. What ever you go with, try to cover the diff weights. A heavier ray will hold up better for someone with more ability and a 150 will hold a line with minimal power.

APX/Reef. All the beginner-friendly glide and neutrality of a Comet but in convenient putter form.

Aero. Anyone can get them to go where they would expect them to go. Dead straight, lots of glide.

I think you have a pretty solid list going in the OP, between those options people will be pretty set. Most will probably pick based on the stamp anyways :D

If you did want to grab some putters, Gateway may be able to hook you up with some good prices...and a few of their mids are solid also(the element, mystic, karma, and even sabre would be great options) if you don't have a huge budget for discs. Contact them through their web page and see what they can do.

dx XD. If they're total noobs then it won't be too understable. Works ok as a putter and can give good distance. If there are stronger throwers in the group they can quickly learn a comfortable hyzer flip if the XD flips for them. Great disc, very underrated. Stingray or Panther would be other good options maybe. I'd just pick something that's neutral to understable and has a shallow depth.

Also, I'd give a nod to the Lycan. It was a flop for the market but it's actually a pretty nice disc. The hss is decent, the fade is low, and it has a good feel in the hand for most people. Little deeper than the XD but some people might like that since it feels more like the lids they've probably thrown before.

While nobody is dissing the idea, I find it interesting that nobody is saying "Buzzz" specifically.

Maybe I should ditch it and just get more stingrays/sharks.

Get them a good understable mid, Stingray, Comet, or Yikun Wings would be good!

You could also go on GGGT and 5 misprint Buzzes for $5 each.