• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What single disc for total noobs (planning company outing).

Leopard perhaps? It's a great first driver and if you buy DX it's cheap. A Buzzz would be a nice option or maybe a Roc.

Leopard perhaps? It's a great first driver and if you buy DX it's cheap. A Buzzz would be a nice option or maybe a Roc.

A Roc is too stable/overstable for a beginner. Understable mids is what he needs.

As for the Buzzz, GGGT does have good prices on misprints for sure. The Buzzz is pretty neutral and might be nice for some, but I think understable mids what you want.

I'd call Gateway and have them set me up. I bet they would just have a "beginner set" type deal.

Depends on whether you want them to have multiple discs, but I think I'd just get a mix of weights in Elements and Assassins, or similar discs from any company. XL/Buzzz, Leo/Stingray, etc.

Agree with understable mid. Since no one's mentioned it yet, the Stratus would be a good choice for beginners.

While nobody is dissing the idea, I find it interesting that nobody is saying "Buzzz" specifically.

Great all around disc, but I don't think the Buzz really shines until you power it up a little, and I would guess that most people in this group won't be throwing with good form and stronger power. New players often throw pretty soft if they're only used to frisbees or aerobie rings...hence the understable suggestions. They won't fly very understable at low power levels and are more likely to give a nice straight flight for newbies.

Agree with understable mid. Since no one's mentioned it yet, the Stratus would be a good choice for beginners.

That's a great suggestion, too. I think a lot of people would find the Stingray more comfortable to grip, though. Stratus is a great disc.

I guess the Lycan and Panther need to get nixed from my suggestions...forgot they aren't available in base plastics.

Here's a vote for a buzzz…and I don't even bag one.

Another vote for Aeros. The look and feel like "regular" frisbees and fly slightly-understable/straight at low power levels. And in DX they're cheap.

A little spendier I'd say Ibexes or Makos.

There are a gambit possible manufacturers you could go with and along with it are plethora of putter/mid combos. I'd stick with a putter and mid from the same company to keep this simple. My recommendation is a Magic/Element combo. Gateway carries both in lightweight plastic, has great prices, and customer service is fantastic

Sorry, read the OP wrong. I now realized that it's a one disc deal. Both are still great choices.

Buzzz would be another.

I would avoid giving them lids, because part of the fun playing for the first time is feeling this solid, dense disc in your hand that flies much faster than the regular frisbee they have all thrown. Any number of mids would do that, but you can find Sharks and Stingrays at Wal-mart: easy.

Great all around disc, but I don't think the Buzz really shines until you power it up a little, and I would guess that most people in this group won't be throwing with good form and stronger power. New players often throw pretty soft if they're only used to frisbees or aerobie rings...hence the understable suggestions. They won't fly very understable at low power levels and are more likely to give a nice straight flight for newbies.

That's a good point about the buzzz.

I may still pick a couple up though for the couple of stronger (though beginner) throwers there.

I would avoid giving them lids, because part of the fun playing for the first time is feeling this solid, dense disc in your hand that flies much faster than the regular frisbee they have all thrown. Any number of mids would do that, but you can find Sharks and Stingrays at Wal-mart: easy.

Very well stated. An excellent explanation of why lids might not be the best plan for this.

Mids and maybe a couple Leopards looks like the way to go.

Yup, I would go mid with some glide. Even a leopard for a beginner will hyzer out unles they are light. Getting a disc up, watching it glide a bit before landing is magical. Got my dad a classic roc because I thought really slow would be controllable, it just had no glide and didn't really "fly" at low power, it just went up and down like a chunk of plastic. Shark, mako, love it. If you want cheap, DX shark is great

Discraft - Buzzz or Impact

Innova -Coyote , Mako or Leopard

MVP -Tangent.

Gateway- Element

I would go with the Buzzz in Z in a range of weight and colors.

Or the stable midrange that you use, that way if they hate it they can give you the disc and you will have backups.

Last edited:
Zephyr. It has user friendly flight for the total noob, but will handle some snap and go fairly far for those who might excel quickly.

Discraft - Buzzz or Impact

Innova -Coyote , Mako or Leopard

MVP -Tangent.

Gateway- Element

I would go with the Buzzz in Z in a range of weight and colors.

Or the stable midrange that you use, that way if they hate it they can give you the disc and you will have backups.

Did they make the 'Yote in base plastic? Thought it was just star and champ.

Plus it's OOP.

Otherwise, I'd agree completely! Great disc. :)