• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What was the first disc you ever threw?

My birthday 2006, I think. My wife bought me a 3 disc set off of eBay. Aviar P&A, Roc, Valk... all in DX. I figure that I threw them first in that order, going from most to least Frisbee like.

Lost the Valk to The Woodshed and the Roc to Rockburn Branch.

Retired the Aviar after the near twin I bought shortly after starting broke after a direct tree hit. They were similarly broken in and I figured it was time to retire the original.

I bought a lot used off of eBay, and added some stuff I bought at walmart. I remember my first bag was something like: new pro beast, beat to snot DX viper, beat dx shark, and a new dx aviar. At some point I added a dx skeeter. I had a pro wraith for half a round too. There was also a absolutely trashed 150g dx leopard. That was fun to throw. Talk about an easy roller disc.

Borrowed an original Lightning (not the #2 hookshot) and I had to give it back after the round... I swore then I would put together a full squadron in my bag. Nearly 30 yrs later, I got the squadron but it was on the wall before I ever got close.

Borrowed a friend's Dx Spider for a couple of rounds, then bought a Stingray.

I think the first disc I ever threw was a Discraft Reaper. I found it on the course before I ever played. I took it to a little league baseball field and threw it sidearm. I hadn't even thought of throwing backhand yet. I got the thing over the 300' fence once.

Not an overly impressive disc, looking back on it.

DX Cobra around 2004. I got a really cool, opaque orange Champion Cobra a few months after I started playing. Used them both mostly FH.

Add me to the DX Shark crowd. I searched the thread to make sure I hadn't posted before, and we are legion.

The first disc I ever threw was a Star Aviar3. Few of the guys I work with convinced me to come out and play "disc golf"

My first thought, keep in mind never hearing of this amazing sport, was "what the **** is a disc golf?".

That was the tail end of April last year. Now I'm beyond hooked, have probably tried more molds than I care to admit (easily 120) and I spank them now. They don't play with me anymore.

1987 Discraft Phantom+... bought at Herman's Sporting Goods in Chicago. It flew much better for disc golf than the Frisbees we had been using. We used it for single-disc rounds for several years. We being my dad, brother, and me.

the first discs I ever threw weren't even mine. A champ monster (for overhands and forehands) and an x buzzz for everything else.

The first discs I bought were a dx valkyrie, a dx shark, and dx aviar pna - which I bought after the first time I ever played.

DX Viper and DX Aviar because Sports Authority had almost nothing else back in 2006

At least the Aviar is a beginner disc. Viper not so much, but in 2006 Sports Authority could have done worse and got a Wraith or early run Star Destroyer that is way too fast for a beginner on the OS side.