• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's a fair way to determine what class you should be playing in?

Jmorri67

Par Member
I'll be playing in my first "big" tourney coming up in October (Vol Classic VIII). I signed up for the rec division a couple months back (tourney was moved from June to October), and I'm very familiar with the two courses involved with the tourney. Looking at the scores from last year, my average score on the two courses would fall at the upper end of rec/middle of intermediate. Should I stay in rec and reevaluate where I should be after the tournament? Or should I try to challenge myself and go ahead and try to move up to intermediate?

On a broader scale, what's a good barometer in general for what class you should play in?

Looking at the scores from last year, my average score on the two courses would fall at the upper end of rec/middle of intermediate. Should I stay in rec and reevaluate where I should be after the tournament? Or should I try to challenge myself and go ahead and try to move up to intermediate?

Stay in Rec for now, and see how you do. If you win, you can chose to move up to Int. Don't feel pressured to "play up" if your ratings don't indicate you have to. Most importantly, stay loose, and have fun. :thmbup:

Stay in Rec for now, and see how you do. If you win, you can chose to move up to Int. Don't feel pressured to "play up" if your ratings don't indicate you have to. Most importantly, stay loose, and have fun. :thmbup:

Hmm, alright. I gotta say, no matter which division I play in I cannot wait for this tourney. Two awesome courses that I love, three rounds in (hopefully) great East Tennessee fall weather, and a bunch of new DGers to meet? Should be a blast.

:thmbup: I agree play Rec. no rush to move up at all

Tourney play will most likely add strokes. Be it nerves, playing at a different pace, trying to be a hero, etc...

Advice:
Play your own game, don't worry how everyone else is shooting
Have fun
The only throw that matters is your next

A MA3 win doesn't mean crap as it is often the most erratic division in terms of attendees. Neither do practice round results.

To me the best barometer is the "had I played up" one (although its not always applicable as sometimes different divisions get different tees). If you conclude that after the tournament that you can't compete (not necessarily cash) against Intermediate players who played the same course then feel free to stay down until you can.

Play Rec for your first Tourny.

Remember to just throw what you know how to throw and to take a stroke to save a stroke.

Good luck,

Rick G

Play Rec for your first Tourny.

That's what I'd have done, except there's no Rec division in the PFDO (well, I think they'll create one if people sign up for it, but it's not a standard available option).

It's good advice. Stay in Rec until you're ready to move up. Or until you're forced to move up. :)

On a broader scale, what's a good barometer in general for what class you should play in?

Once you've played a few events, your rating. At least until you reach the upper 900s and other considerations of whether to go pro come into play.

By the way, it's "division", not "class".

Comparing your casual round scores to previous tournaments is as good a way as any to guess where you should start. With these caveats: As others have mentioned, you'll very likely shoot worse in a tournament than you normally do. And, ask the TD if there's much difference between the tournament layout and the everyday layout.

I'd play in the division that you feel will give you the best competition, fun, and learning experience. Smaller tourneys here if you play rec you're going to be lucky to have a full group and you will not be pushed to play your best. Intermediate is where I feel I'm going to play my best and learn how to play more competitive. Maybe that's just around here but unless you're new to the sport most people play intermediate once they have a tournament or two under their belt.

I played in my first sanctioned tournament this past weekend on my home course. I played rec division. The first round went OK, but I played awful the second one. if I could have just shot for my average score on the second one I would have been in the top 10. I was kinda disappointed in myself. I still had fun though and met some great people from other areas. it was a good experience. I played a charity tournament a couple of weeks before that and placed 3rd. I plan on staying in rec for awhile.

Should I stay in rec and reevaluate where I should be after the tournament? Or should I try to challenge myself and go ahead and try to move up to intermediate?

I'd recommend rec for your first tourney to get a feel for the difference from casual rounds and basic tourney play and rules. I believe you learn more and improve faster when you play with better people and tourneys, field work practice, and good online help are the fast track. Intermediate is the perfect level to get a feel for the rules and a taste of competitive play. If you win at Intermediate, especially in a big tourney, its time to move up to advanced. If you're consistently cashing in Intermediate perhaps a tourney in advanced might be a better test.

My advise, perhaps a few years in the future, is don't go Pro until winning plastic has lost its appeal or you want to push yourself further than the advanced players can teach you. However, if a big intermediate or advanced tourney that year has a new basket for first place I'd encourage you to stay at your current level, win that big tourney for the basket, and then move up☺

My first tourney I started in MA2, and would recommend the same for you. I signed up for the lowest class that still played from the long tees.

From my experience, MA2 is still plenty full of people newer to the sport, and will expose you to higher level of play. As long as you go into it knowing its your first tournament and you are ok with wherever you finish I'd say go for it. There is nothing to lose.

Like you, I'm playing in my first tournament this upcoming weekend. I've been playing for about 3 years now and am starting to take my game much more seriously. For this tournament, I'm playing MA3 (Recreational). I figured based on my years of play, it's a good starting point.

yeah, hang in rec, if its ur first tourney you always get a pass. if u play really well your rating should bump ya to int

Like you, I'm playing in my first tournament this upcoming weekend. I've been playing for about 3 years now and am starting to take my game much more seriously. For this tournament, I'm playing MA3 (Recreational). I figured based on my years of play, it's a good starting point.

yeah and plus alot of "first time" tourney players shoot a little worse because of the added pressure, so starting in rec is perfect

yeah and plus alot of "first time" tourney players shoot a little worse because of the added pressure, so starting in rec is perfect

I know I'll definitely be nervous. Typically, when I play with a group of random people at the park, my first few drives are off based on nerves. Once I get going, everything falls into place.

Definitely excited for this weekend! We've got an awesome player pack and I look forward to putting my skills to the test!