• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's stopping me from hitting the 500 ft. mark?

DillonN

I've been playing a little less than three years and can hit the 450' mark pretty well but I can't quite find that last 50' ft.

I also have a lot of torq and controle issues so a local pro suggestd I lower my arm a little bit since I'm pulling through very close to my collar bone (I actually hit myself in the chin the other day. It was really funny 'cause I still parked the 300' ft hole. haha) which makes me throw with hyzer so to compensate for that I end up arching my back a little bit which, I think, is where the torq is coming from. So, most of my drives in this video are me trying to lower my arm and failing. When I actually do get my arm lower I tend to throw in to the ground. I thik I really just need to get used to it but any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Here's one in slow motion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sISP2y90sWk&feature=player_profilepage
And here's one in regular time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FjYsnWiah0&feature=player_profilepage

you could try to show your back more to the target, and be a little more relaxed. you look a little tense to me.

450->500' is the hardest part imo. my record stands at 509'.

Further aren't you a smaller guy too? and from the video he appears to be 5'5, 5'6 at the most. I know Frank Delicious is a smaller guy too. maybe dillon will be the next moderator.

but this just goes to show that it doesn't matter how big you are when it comes to DG. Frank throws pretty far and this Dillon guy throws over 400 (if what he says is true). I'm 6'1 220 and am struggling to hit 325 consistently.

your stroke looks pretty good dude. I think Blake has said that drives 500+ usually require different lines and a different technique. if you are hitting 450 on a consistent golf line then qué huevos chaparito.

More speed in your run up, maybe some aggression? I don't think throwing over 500 is a pleasant experience without the help of a tailwind or 360 run up. I suppose throwing 500 is easiest for me when its a huge anny with a roadrunner or something like that. Opposite of golf D.

I can hit 450' on a golf D line, and can only dream of going 500' like that. I've thrown about five times over 500', and they've been all distance anhyzers. nothing to do with golf. (I made my last record on a golf hole, uphill though.. :p)

dgdave said:
You're opening your wrist on the pull back

That's what it is. I was trying to figure out why it didn't look like he was really smashing it. You have good body action, but I think your wrist is failing you. Following Bradley's clock concept, your wrist needs to be at 9:00 when your body starts uncoiling. The last thing you do is bring the wrist across to the 2:00/3:00 position.

keltik said:
Further aren't you a smaller guy too? and from the video he appears to be 5'5, 5'6 at the most. I know Frank Delicious is a smaller guy too. maybe dillon will be the next moderator.

Ya, I'm 5'4", 130 lbs. I hit about 380' on a consistent basis, but that has more to do with my lack of a reachback than a lack of a follow through.

For more power generation you could try planting toes pointing 110 or more degrees away from the target and twisting the hips as far as you can get to the left at the reach back. You should be able to get at least 15 more degrees there. Elbow could get a couple of inches farther in front of the body before shopping. That is elbow farther out from the right side closer to the target.

You're doing well.

Haha I'm 5'8" and 150 pounds.

"Elbow could get a couple of inches farther in front of the body before shopping. That is elbow farther out from the right side closer to the target."

Yeah, my brother is having a really hard time with that but he goes to far and his elbow ends up way out infront of him and it makes him early release really bad. So, I always thought that it was bad to get your elbow out farther then square with your body befor uncoiling.

Furthur said:
dgdave said:
You're opening your wrist on the pull back

That's what it is. I was trying to figure out why it didn't look like he was really smashing it. You have good body action, but I think your wrist is failing you. Following Bradley's clock concept, your wrist needs to be at 9:00 when your body starts uncoiling. The last thing you do is bring the wrist across to the 2:00/3:00 position.

Can I get a link to this topic?

DillonN said:
Haha I'm 5'8" and 150 pounds.

"Elbow could get a couple of inches farther in front of the body before shopping. That is elbow farther out from the right side closer to the target."

Yeah, my brother is having a really hard time with that but he goes to far and his elbow ends up way out infront of him and it makes him early release really bad. So, I always thought that it was bad to get your elbow out farther then square with your body befor uncoiling.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13291

Yeah jamming the elbow as far as it'll go can lock it up and tear the tendons and possibly muscles. Just short of that gives the most power for the elbow chop because the muscles and tendons are loaded like a spring is compressed. Once the elbow opens the stored energy adds to the chop speed which loads the wrist for another free lunch. Tendon bounceS.

solid, usually the difference between 450' and 500' is a higher line. still a line drive but a higher apex, how high are you throwing when you are trying to kill it on a line drive?

it is also good to get your elbow out there as far as you can in front of you.

I think I usually throw about 50 feet high at the apex when I'm really going for it.

I really want to hit 500' on golf line, but I am interested in learning some distance lines.

The line I use is a 45ish degree hyzerflip. Long hyzerflip, probably out to nearly 350-400. Then it has to flip into a decent anni, maybe as much as your hyzerflip, otherwise it will stall/hyzer out at 460-480. This is in my experience what happens, I got the line from a pro, but I already used it naturally to go far on a straightish line. He actually said he got it from Avery, just throwing something stable like a teerex-x or pro destroyer with a lot of power on a steep hyzer.

distance lines are best learned with beat, slow, narrow rimmed drivers as they are easier to learn to keep nose down for a long time when thrown very high.

your throwing mechanics are better suited for a hyzer flip line than an anhyzer line and you'll have to use some strategic OAT in order to get something 50'+ high and still able to hold a turn out > 400'. once you have that down with slower discs it's easier to translate what you've learned to faster discs.

milking lines and learning to make the disc fly that far is step one.