• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When BIG wind is present, what's in your bag????

I keep my bag the same in all conditions, if you change it when it's rainy, or windy, or any other weather phenomena then you'll lose consistency. If you don't know how to work each of your discs in different conditions then why throw them?

Winds have been crazy here lately. Especially yesterday. Like most hav said though,my bag stays the same,but ill use them a lil more often

Domey z force
Cpd
gator
Cewhippet
Firebird
omega ss :)

While i use alot of these discs already,ill pull out a opto flow for a nasty flex shot into a headwind if it calls for more d than a z force

Last edited:
Doesn't change for me. I might add in a force but that's it.

Predator
Destroyer
Avenger
Buzzz
Comet
Wizard (Yes I throw the buzzz/comet/wizard in the wind)

Florida can be windy also, most of my discs are near max weight anyway, so I don't add anything to the bag for different weather conditions. I might put with a Buzzz instead of my Challenger if its really windy.

I keep my bag the same in all conditions, if you change it when it's rainy, or windy, or any other weather phenomena then you'll lose consistency. If you don't know how to work each of your discs in different conditions then why throw them?

I agree in principle, but in practice, I think many of us have a regular rotation that is probably 30-50 discs. I usually only carry 6-15 discs on the course, but after playing for almost 13 years in all kinds of conditions, I have a pretty good idea what a lot of discs do -- even those that I don't throw every round.

I have the half a dozen or so discs that I use all the time, and will still be most of my throws on a given course in any conditions. But depending on the course and conditions, it is often worth cycling on some other plastic. On an unusual course or in unusual conditions, the discs that cycle in come from those 30-50 discs that remain in regular rotation.

Windy rotation:

PUTTS: For a super windy day, I add CE Rhyno to my bag for short upshots and maybe even putts. I love my Wizards, but a CE Rhyno is a more predictable disc, less effected by the wind. It can save a few strokes.

MIDS: I always have Rocs in my bag, but in heavy wind, I'd add a lightly used Champion Roc or a Ching Roc... in addition to my normal neutral Ontario and slightly overstable Super Rocs.

I always have Firebirds in my bag, but in heavy wind, I'd add a fresh max weight Firebird. Super windy, I might even add a Gateway Speed Demon. These are used more as mids than as drivers. Few things are more predictable in the wind than hyzer upshots with a Firebird.

In any wind, I'll always add a DX Pegasus I use as a midrange disc. Straighter than a Firebird and holds amazingly well into the wind. Flight path of a DX Pegasus upwind is almost identical to the flight of a seasoned Roc in no wind.

FAIRWAY DRIVERS:

I always have Teebirds in the bag. Windy day means I add a fresh 11x Teebird to the bag in addition to the beat 11x's I usually have.

DISTANCE DRIVERS:

I always have destroyers in the bag. Windy day means add a fresh Champion Destroyer to the bag... really windy day means add an Xcalibur...

champ ape, z force, flx predator, opto trident

flx drone, esp zone

yeti aviar

what is the main reason that people change their putters when it is windy?

I don't change anything out of the bag, maybe just select a heavier driver. I am of the notion that no matter the weather, stick to what you normally throw.

I'll use my
Bottom stamp rocs
Ch. Firebird
Ch. Teebird
Star Destroyer
Flow

I'll most likely be throwing the firebird the most

Xcal, FBird, 'Stroyers, New champ Boss, PD2
Can't believe I'm the first person to say this:
MAX.
Throwing a slow anny flex in a head wind with it and watching the wind get mad and the max dance down the fairway is one of my favorite shots to throw at the moment.

Mid: vector thrown LOW
putting? Upside down whatevs.

It has been extremely windy lately, played yesterday and was the worst we've played in..weather said 31 gusts to 40 but that's bull, it was much worse, The other day it was sustained 37, 2 short of tropical storm winds, we figure it was about that with higher gusts.
We've taken to throwing Vectors upside down for putting just to get near the basket since putting is pretty much out, but you have to be careful throwing that style upwind, especially yesterday, if it bounces the least bit the wind catches it and it's gone. I love Ions too, but keep those in the bag with winds like that, too much of a roller.
The short approach disc I really am starting to love, especially in heavy wind, is the premium Jokeri. Mine is very HSS and I really appreciate that, and will hold a line in heavy wind very well.
Just got a heavy MD thinking it would be good for wind, turned out it was a roller supreme, not good. The best mid I have for wind is the Hornet.
Upwind drives I really like the Champion Boss, or Z Nuke, Pro Destroyer works well too. For mids I use the Hornet, TD or Jokeri. A heavy Wizard is my fav putter. Downwind I don't have a favorite driver, I have several discs that work well, though I've had good luck lately using the Surge 150.

For me there really isn't a whole lot of thing to add or takeout of my bag on a gusty day. The only discs that would come out of my bag would be my eagles, archons and my cro since rollers are useless in the wind.

Star Max
CE Firebird FX
11x Firebird
12x Firebird
ESP Zone
Star Whippet
Champion Cobra

There's always wind at my course. Firebird works well and increasing hyzer releases as wind goes up.

i match your texas wind with our okie wind. i throw FB's max monsters destroyers xcals and wraiths give er take. pigs, pro rhynos, and the gremlin specifically for those crazy windy days. i also tend to throw and kick my bag a little more in these conditions.