• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When chalk/birdie bags aren't enough

mickas1

Eagle Member
So I played a round with a friend in the rain and wind yesterday, and it's not like that was the first time I played in poor conditions but in hindsight I've always had what seems like more trouble than other people I play with gripping discs in wet conditions. I've tried birdie bags, which never worked for me, then I moved on to climbing chalk, which does wonders with my excessively sweaty hands, but when it gets wet out I feel like even drying my disc doesn't help. Maybe it's as simple as bringing more towels but I'm starting to wonder if the skin on my hands is a different texture, I mean, there is a reason why people like chalky, gummy, or a putter somewhere in between. I suppose what I'm really trying to get advice on is playing in wet conditions but I don't want responses, like "dry your disc" or "stay at home" because I always seem to be affected by the rain a lot more than my competitors.

Hmm that is tough. I know a guy who has one of those two gallon bags he fills with dirt/sawdust/chalk and puts the disc he is gonna throw in it and shakes it around before the throw. Other than that I don't really know what to tell you. Maybe put more base plastic in the bag during rainy rounds.

some (perhaps obvious) tips...

Umbrella. Put it over the bag when it's on the ground. Never let the bag be uncovered. Not when walking and not when being still. A waterproof backpack-cover could also work if it fits the bag.

Bring 5-6 small towels (if necessary, cut down on the number of discs to make room in the bag). Keep the towels in plastic bags so you can pick up dry towels throughout the round.

Don't throw all discs during warm up. Save some dry discs for later.

Use gloves to keep hands dry when not throwing.

The glove thing never worked for me. Since I could never get my hand completely dry, the glove just trapped the moisture in there and made my hand sweaty/sticky.

Ive heard rock chalk and rosin bags work a lil better than birdie bags n the smaller dd chalk bags. I dunno really tho,id do like frank said n carry some base plastic

DD has chalk bags? Did not know that. You can buy a pound of rock chalk for like $2.50 at REI and a bag to hold it in for like $3.

oh hey McCabe loves climbers chalk also

Tips for better play in rain or snow
The key is keeping everything dry and using a umbrella is a must. What I like to do if it's raining during a round is keep at least 4 golf towels on me, one clipped underneath my umbrella, one strictly for my putters, one for mud, and the other one in a plastic bag in the side pocket of my golf bag. Another little secret of mine is using climbers chalk. It's cheap and works wonders on your wet plastic. Simply use either a Birdie Bag, or Rosin Bag, mix a little chalk in a plastic bag and you'll have extra grip in the wetness while everyone else will be dealing with discs slipping out of their hands.

Yea emac is who recommended rock chalk.

Yeah dds bags have small pellets in em and the its some kind of powder. Not the saw dust like in the birdie bags

I already use climbing chalk and it works excellent for sweaty hands but not so much for rainy conditions, maybe I just need to be more conservative when it comes to keeping everything in my bag dry

I have the same problem and use a product called Dry Hands. Make sure you put it on BEFORE your hands get wet. Also carry plenty of towels and a birdie bag as well.

dryhands.jpg

Yea I forfot to mention I picked up some liquid stuff from discnation that u rub on ur hands and it lasts longer than chalk. I forget the brnd but ive used it several times n works great

TLapham said:
I have the same problem and use a product called Dry Hands. Make sure you put it on BEFORE your hands get wet. Also carry plenty of towels and a birdie bag as well.

dryhands.jpg

Dry Hands can dry up warts too ;-)

We sell a lot of this:

TITE GRIP LOTION
Tite-Grip is a non-slip antiperspirant hand lotion. Great for disc golf or any function requiring a tight grip. The non-sticky formula dries clear and will not stain clothes.

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/tite-grip-lotion-p-9.html

hmm i might have to give this stuff a try, thanks for the feedback guys.

on a side note I went to my utility sink and drenched all my magnets and found that some of my old super soft 4 chains still are grippy even when wet, so I'll try to use these for my approaches/short drives next time it rains.

Cold, wet and towels do dry the skin. Lack of skin oils means super slick skin and slips. I'm like this :( Greasy lotions rubbed into skin can help as long as you do it right. Meaning early enough rubbed into the skin. To avoid lotion between the skin and the disc. The lotion won't help much if it ain't rubbed to go into the skin.

char@gottagogottathrow said:
We sell a lot of this:

TITE GRIP LOTION
Tite-Grip is a non-slip antiperspirant hand lotion. Great for disc golf or any function requiring a tight grip. The non-sticky formula dries clear and will not stain clothes.

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/tite-grip-lotion-p-9.html
Tried it once. Doesn't play along with my dry hands, makes them even drier and chalkier, and more slippery. Good for about 5-8 minutes, tops.

Latest posts