• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you consider the disc golf "Mecca."

idk if its the best place but northern California has some amazing courses in San Francisco, santa cruz and monterey

Charlotte- the amount of great courses in one area is just overwhelming

I don't think the mecca definition is only concentration of courses but also the overall disc golf scene including clubs, leagues, disc golf events, PDGA events and being accessible in or near a metro area. Highbridge has the courses but not much else going on. I think Charlotte, Twin Cities, KC, St. Louis, Cincy, Pittsburgh, DFW, Ann Arbor, IDGC are some of the areas that have a better balance of multiple factors.

idk if its the best place but northern California has some amazing courses in San Francisco, santa cruz and monterey

:thmbup:

Yep, not to mention Sacramento area (Chico, Grass Valley, Auburn, etc).

Monterey Bay is my mini Mecca- Delaveaga, Pinto Lake, Black Mouse, Aptos HS, a variety of 9 pins, and then South to CSUMB and Ryan Ranch. Would probably be a lot more courses except we have a lot of NIMBYs blocking them.

Oregon has an awesome group of Courses.

One day when I can do whatever I want with my time, I'm going to some of these other Meccas. Probably starting with Austin.

I don't know if it is quite worthy of the title mecca, but I'm extremely excited to be heading to the West Sound region in Washington next weekend. Not only are the courses awsome, there is a pretty happening beer scene to factor into the desirability of the area.

If it had So Cal's climate it would be a legit contender IMHO.

:thmbup:

Yep, not to mention Sacramento area (Chico, Grass Valley, Auburn, etc).

You are talking about an area bigger than alot of states. I think the OP was more aimed at meccas in a more localized since....such as a metro.

Oregon has an awesome group of Courses.
One day when I can do whatever I want with my time, I'm going to some of these other Meccas. Probably starting with Austin.

The Eugene to Portland area looks like some amazing golf.
I really want to hit up the TX meccas one day but they are far down on my priority list.
I don't think the mecca definition is only concentration of courses but also the overall disc golf scene including clubs, leagues, disc golf events, PDGA events and being accessible in or near a metro area.
Add weather. The DG Community aspect is probably more important then the course quality.
Highbridge has the courses but not much else going on. I think Charlotte, Twin Cities, KC, St. Louis, Cincy, Pittsburgh, DFW, Ann Arbor, IDGC are some of the areas that have a better balance of multiple factors.
Charlotte courses make me drool with anticipation and I was so bummed I could not afford to go to last years worlds. And having never been to anywhere I would consider an all-around mecca, I would have to put Charlotte in the top 3. Santa Cruz area and Portland area would be the other two I think. Solid weather for playing year round...Portland is a lil chillier but plenty nice enough for year round.
Twin Cities is amazing for disc golf but its winters *bleeping* blow chunks. But has every other aspect down. Pitt and Ann Arbor I would include in this category.

Tulsa, Oklahoma. Close to the Lodge, about 20 courses in the city. They are building new courses quickly up there as well. From what I hear, they have some good organization as well.

How has Oak Grove in Pasadena - the first course EVER - not been discussed? Seems to me that there should be some historical signifcance to qualify as Mecca.

Tulsa, Oklahoma. Close to the Lodge, about 20 courses in the city. They are building new courses quickly up there as well. From what I hear, they have some good organization as well.

I don't know if I'll ever go back to OK. Gross...washing hands isnt optional after going to the bathroom.

Mecca to me is the place where i am completely at peace with myself and my surroundings, the only place I would fly across the country for on a Friday night and return on a Sunday night. That place to me is Flyboy

/thread

I don't like rednecks so Texas is out. I hate toothless hillbillies so the Carolina's are out. Hipster's are annoying so California is out. That leaves me with KC and Highbridge. KC for dg destination to live in, Highbridge for the dg destination to travel to.

I don't like rednecks so Texas is out. I hate toothless hillbillies so the Carolina's are out. Hipster's are annoying so California is out. That leaves me with KC and Highbridge. KC for dg destination to live in, Highbridge for the dg destination to travel to.

Nice open mind you have there. Hope your brain doesn't fall out.

Guess that just means more awesome central Texas courses for me if you aren't going to be there.

Let's have some fun with this.

Muhammad was first bear-hugged by the angel outside of Mecca, on the West Coast of the Arabian Peninsula (first major disc golf region: West Coast). His initial forays into spreading the news of the Recitation occurred nearby where he started (disc golf: Oak Grove), but he soon traveled north where the first successful community was formed (disc golf: OG, LaMa, Huntington, Sylmar, Morley, and on up to "Medina:" DeLa).

The message spread far and wide and was subsequently embraced by far greater numbers and intensity than in Arabia in places such as Northern Africa, Mesopotamia, Persia and further east (Kansas City, Rochester, Des Moines, Austin, DFW, Huntsville, Minneapolis, Charlotte).

Today adherents of the message are rapidly spreading overseas (Sweden, Japan) while continuing to contextualize the practices to local cultures and needs .

Where should disc golfers go for a multi-day pilgrimage these days, as Muslims go on haj? My vote, as a scholar and disc golfer who grew up at Oak Grove, would be Portland. Plenty to keep the pilgrim busy for several days, scurrying from circumambulating the city (Hornings, Trojan, with perhaps Pier Park as the center), day jaunts out (Timber and the splendor of Milo McIver) and a mountaintop experience for a day of reckoning (Whistler's Bend).

That, and it's a fantastic, beautiful city with a great music scene and one of the greatest concentrations of premier craft beverages available.

And Humboldt isn't that far away.

There's a reason that the Beaver State Fling sells out so fast each year, as will Pro Worlds next year.

From one pilgrim to others...

Just got back from a couple days of Santa Cruz. Played Pinto Lake, Black Mouse, and Delaveaga. If you're not thrilled playing these courses then something is wrong with you.

How has Oak Grove in Pasadena - the first course EVER - not been discussed? Seems to me that there should be some historical signifcance to qualify as Mecca.

This was my first thought too. Mecca means the place where it started. If you want to see the first real disc golf course ever created, you need to go to Oak Grove.

My disc golf Mecca is my backyard course. Or maybe West Park, the 1st basket course that I have played on, or perhaps Hudson Mills.