• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you consider the disc golf "Mecca."

I would say Charlotte wins this. Admitting a bias, The greater Philadelphia and mid Atlantic area does really well though: Nockamixon, Tyler, Jordan Creek, Moraine, Iron Hill, Codorus, Patapsco, to name the well known destination spots...

For me it's Oregon and Washington. Tons of quality courses and you can sort of play year round. I say sort of, because I don't play in the rain.

I think the northwest (particularly Portland) has to be in consideration because of the year round appeal. The south has year round but also humidity and bugs in the summer. This is more vague than most have been talking about but I think Portland deserves a mention.

Minnesota has a lot of great courses.

That said, when I watch video of people playing in March in t-shirt and shorts, I realize this is a 6 month mecca at best....

My kinda grandpa / late grandmas boyfriend lives in lewisville about 6-700 feet from Lake park in dfw, really need to visit

This was my first thought too. Mecca means the place where it started.

False!
Mecca means a place regarded as a center for a specified group, activity, or interest

where every disc golfer dreams of visiting. not just yourself. number one rated course would probably be it.

You guys dont know how lucky you are !

My mecca is everywhere y'all have spoken of ! :)

But I am so happy that Oregon is close enough that I can drive there , set up camp , throw a round and have a beer before supper !

Gonna see you this summer ! :thmbup:

Safe bets are NC, East TX, NorCal, and MI

Though WI has 2nd most courses IIRC...so grats, never played there personally.

Oregon and Nor-Cal is the way to go! plenty of quality corses between the two. +1 for nice weather most of the year and milder winters than Minnesota :) haha

i have to agree with juke with a little caveat. the west coast of michigan is PHENOMENAL. From Traverse City south to Saugatuck is some pretty freakin' sweet DG along with Lake Michgan to swim in!!! plenty of campgrounds etc

The state of Michigan has to be the Mecca.

West Coast (Grand Rapids, K-Zoo.. Lansing?), Up North (Traverse City and Shelby), and of course metro Detroit (Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, Milford, Dexter, etc. etc.) are littered with courses, including some of the best rated courses on this site. Our behemoth club/league scene is always expanding and you can find on discgolfscene.com no fewer than 2 tournaments to play in any given weekend from now thru September.

For those who are faint of heart, maybe you weren't cut out for golf in the winter.. but it isn't so bad. :) You really can find Mecca in the peace of fresh powder with only your boot tracks to disturb the canvas.. In the silence you only realize is so deep because you just banged chains.. Just wear an extra shirt or three, a couple pairs of pants and a nice stocking hat. And bring whiskey.

West Coast (Grand Rapids, K-Zoo.. Lansing?), Up North (Traverse City and Shelby), and of course metro Detroit (Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, Milford, Dexter, etc. etc.) are littered with courses, including some of the best rated courses on this site. Our behemoth club/league scene is always expanding and you can find on discgolfscene.com no fewer than 2 tournaments to play in any given weekend from now thru September.

For those who are faint of heart, maybe you weren't cut out for golf in the winter.. but it isn't so bad. :) You really can find Mecca in the peace of fresh powder with only your boot tracks to disturb the canvas.. In the silence you only realize is so deep because you just banged chains.. Just wear an extra shirt or three, a couple pairs of pants and a nice stocking hat. And bring whiskey.

as a state overall id say michigan has to be pretty tough to beat.

Being from Ohio I'm probably supposed to dispute anything said by a Michigander on general principal, but there's just too much truth in this post to discount. I played Hudson Hills once about 10 years ago and was blown away by how hard it seemed compared to my home course. 6 months ago I played my first round of disc in years on an course that was average by Michigan standards, and was immediately hooked back into the game. A couple of years ago I drove along the west coast on my way to Traverse City, and remember how beautiful the terrain would have been for disc. I'm lucky enough to have a cottage less than 90 minutes east of Flip City, so I'm going to make it a point to go play Flip and Leviathan this summer. Finally, Columbus hasn't had nearly the cold winter that many of the northern courses in Michigan have had this year, but we've had much more snow than usual, and that hasn't stopped me from playing at least 5 rounds a week on average since November. Weather is only an obstacle if you allow it to be. In fact, I'm heading out into a winter storm warning to play a quick 18 as soon as the basketball game I'm watching is done.

With that said I love the Carolinas also, and would love to have a job where I could live in Charlotte from October thru April, and Grand Rapids, Mi the rest of the time. Good BBQ and disc for 5 months, and good microbrews and disc the rest of the time? Hell yes!

Let's have some fun with this.

Muhammad was first bear-hugged by the angel outside of Mecca, on the West Coast of the Arabian Peninsula (first major disc golf region: West Coast). His initial forays into spreading the news of the Recitation occurred nearby where he started (disc golf: Oak Grove), but he soon traveled north where the first successful community was formed (disc golf: OG, LaMa, Huntington, Sylmar, Morley, and on up to "Medina:" DeLa).

The message spread far and wide and was subsequently embraced by far greater numbers and intensity than in Arabia in places such as Northern Africa, Mesopotamia, Persia and further east (Kansas City, Rochester, Des Moines, Austin, DFW, Huntsville, Minneapolis, Charlotte).

Today adherents of the message are rapidly spreading overseas (Sweden, Japan) while continuing to contextualize the practices to local cultures and needs .

Where should disc golfers go for a multi-day pilgrimage these days, as Muslims go on haj? My vote, as a scholar and disc golfer who grew up at Oak Grove, would be Portland. Plenty to keep the pilgrim busy for several days, scurrying from circumambulating the city (Hornings, Trojan, with perhaps Pier Park as the center), day jaunts out (Timber and the splendor of Milo McIver) and a mountaintop experience for a day of reckoning (Whistler's Bend).

That, and it's a fantastic, beautiful city with a great music scene and one of the greatest concentrations of premier craft beverages available.

And Humboldt isn't that far away.

There's a reason that the Beaver State Fling sells out so fast each year, as will Pro Worlds next year.

From one pilgrim to others...

Cute, and if you see ball golfers who won't convert to disc golf scalp them with your driver!:D

I am planning a trip to Austin this year!! :hfive: I should have played in Charlotte when I was out there for business, but I'm an idiot!:doh:

This is a trick. I love the courses around here but there really arent enough. De La, Stafford, Skyline, Golden gate, are great, but... This site makes me look farther afield. My folks hometown, Clinton Iowa has a lot more well rated courses within an hours drive. As one who is well aquainted with eagle point park, that has to be badass. But i havent been there in 18 years. The Quad cities seems to have a helluva lot of well rated courses even if they arent 5's. I Am envious. Would love to get back to that area again someday....

Truth is most of us don't really travel enough to have the perspective. Once upon a time I traveled a lot, In the days before discs... Sigh.

Latest posts