• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

where to get actual plastic?

707cnash1

Par Member
hey guys, ive got 2 CNC machines and ive created 2 molds so far, the only problem is I have no idea what type of plastic I should get, Ive asked a few people and there very tough to get info from for obvious reasons but if any of you guys have a suggestion let me know cause I really wanna make some discs. The mold Ive made is identical to a boss, it is alittle diffrent for patent issues but other than that Im thinkin this should work good, let me know if you have any suggestions at all.

oh and of course if this does actually work, ill send a bunch out for free to see if you guys like them and get some feedback.

thanks again guys

Man this sounds juicy.
I'll see if some engineer buddies of mine might actually know. They mainly all deal with metals for oilfield parts, but I'm sure one of em knows someone that's dealt with plastic.

One buddy said it's just normal pellet plastic, but not sure what exactly that is.

Another just emailed me this
"maybe some type of polyethylene. those DG plastics are probably some kind of whack assed mixture/blend of proprietary materials…….who knows what that shit is. Injection molding companies could guide him possibly."

Another engineer buddy of mine that plays a little disc golf

I imagine that people would play with different plastics and different harnesses' to achieve the type of disk they want. And it would be different for different disk (i.e. putter or driver). There is Acrylic, Nylon, Acetal-Delrin, teflon, and polycarbonate (more than that, but prob not typical for disk golf). I would imagine any one of these would work fine, but the best thing to do is to reverse engineer. Take a disk and measure the diameter, thickness and take its weight then find the density. Then compare that to other plastics. Better yet, model the disk as exact as you can in solid works, then enter in different densities of plastics you can buy on the internet to get a weight, then compare that to a disk you own, voila!!

I work for a plastics company. That being said, I don't know what kind of plastic any of the disc makers use but a safe bet would be polyurethane. Also, buying in a small quantity is going to be VERY cost prohibitive. your gonna be looking at upwards of $2.00 a pound. You can try calling us at 248-393-0300.

hey thanks man I appreciate this, Im gonna give you a ring tommorow if thats cool?

Robin Hood said:
I work for a plastics company. That being said, I don't know what kind of plastic any of the disc makers use but a safe bet would be polyurethane. Also, buying in a small quantity is going to be VERY cost prohibitive. your gonna be looking at upwards of $2.00 a pound. You can try calling us at 248-393-0300.

I won't be the one answering the phone. Your best bet would be to ask for Aimee. She is the wife of a fellow disc golfer and can steer you in the right direction and get you the best possible price(possibly a 50lb. sample for free if she can lie and tell them you could be a huge account. you will be a big buyer). We have every color known to mankind to blend into your natural as well. what I do not think we have in weighing agent. Your discs will prolly be light without that. Ask Aimee if we have it, we may. We may also have UV stuff so your discs will change color in the sun. Once again it can't hurt to ask what we have. Tell her Andy told you to call.

dude, thank you for this info its gonna be really helpfull are you guys on the east coast? either way ill call tommorow morning and ill talk to her to get some more information. Soon my friends a new disc will be here, since its almost identical to a boss, Im thinkin it should be call the manager

Talk to Dave Mac at Gateway. He *MIGHT* be a help. On the other hand he may not be, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Yes, we are in the Eastern time zone. 8-5 Monday-Friday. so for you 5am-2pm. I think that's right?

It's primarily polyeurethane. I suspect there's a significant presence of high density polyethylene in the more durable plastics as well.

McMaster-Carr is a great place to order from, and ship fast. I've ordered tons of stuff from them.

I used to make boomerangs (a bit different than discs, of course) and had no durability issues with ABS or Polypro - but I didn't have to melt them. It's worth a gander - www.mcmaster.com

Initially, if you're just wanting to make a few prototypes and test your molds maybe you could shred a few discs and use that plastic. (?)

the way things are lookin right now I say give or take 3 weeks and I should have a few done, I talked to a local plastic manufacturer in my town and hes got everything I could think of and I dont think hes gonna charge me a dime for anything. The idea of sherding a disc is not bad, I never thought of trying that im definitley gonna try it and see what happens, I believe that theres some kind of chemical reaction to the plastic when its in its original form and then when It get pressed something happens im not sure though, so to shred up a disc thats already been pressed might not work thats what chad from mvp was trying to tell me yesterday I think, but hell if I know, all I know is that Ive got some great info, good plastic resources, and somebody local to give me a hand. Ill keep everybody updated as the next 2 weeks go by. Oh and if it works ill send out as many as I can make for free