• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where to go from here

noah1

Par Member
Videos here: http://youtu.be/hFD9rMphgqs (apologies for quality. If this is unusable, I can get better video tomorrow)

First throw was a suspect about ~220-230
Second throw was an eagle I botched and turned over
Third throw is a road runner about ~250.

My questions...

1. What can I improve from here? Looking at the video, it looks like my left hip swings out instead of through the throw. Does this seem like something to improve?

2. How do I go from here and get to where I can do a run up? Do I move right leg further away from the basket and move my left shoulder back and work on making small adjustments backwards from there?

3. How do I embed a youtube video? I see the tags for it, but what URL must I use to get it to work?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes, you can definitely improve on your hip rotation. Great tip from Feldberg on how to fix that... http://vimeo.com/64171158#t=180. As you drill on this, it is a good idea to follow up with a strong heal pivot on your right foot to avoid jamming your hips and/or twisting your right knee.

2. This video from Dan Beto talks about adding a one step, two step, x-step... http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9959 but you should understand these drills from Blake T. before attempting the right pec drill... http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220

3. Not sure.

Also, your left arm is loose and trailing behind. That will be a drag on your shoulder rotation. Start with your left arm up around shoulder level. As you bring your left leg forward (as Feldberg illustrated in #1) drop your left arm down and tight against your body. Both accomplish the same thing in that your are turning in your left hip and left shoulder which allows you to spring your right hip and right shoulder open at the hit.

Not every Youtube video shows on this site despite using the proper procedure that is: Copy the URL of your video at Youtube and click the youtube tab above the text typing window on this site and click in between the brackets with the mouse and paste the URL and you're set.

You need to whip that arm much faster you were so mellow that it is great for accuracy and consistency in approach throws but it does not work for driving. You als olacked the pause and spun early on the right leg so you should tighten the right leg muscles hard and stop the right leg in place on the ground without pivoting it when you plant the final step. Then you should move the elbow forward moving only the arm to the right pec position and then perform the right pec drill movements only pivoting (loosening up the leg muscles a little) just before you twist the hips, turn the shoulders and start the elbow chop. Plus what Stringbean wrote.

No idea about technique ctritique, but with youtube I think it's like this:
What does NOT work:
- shortened URLs like the one you used
- https://

What works:
normal http://www.youtube.com/watch.....

not sure about anything after the watch Link with embed or playlist additions in the link.

Hope this helps.

Luma,

Thanks. Followed your instructions and got it to work. The only thing I had to do is strip all the params except for the video id off and change https to http

Stringbean,

I watched that Feldberg video (thanks! I've never seen it before) and it seems like doing that would necessitate pulling lower across the core instead of across the pec like in the Will Schusterick video? Is that correct?

Jr,

Thanks. You've given me a lot. What's the best way to work through it. Doing it all in slow motion and continually moving faster and faster from there?

Not sure if it is necessary, but I do recommend pulling from the core. I thought Schusterick actually recommends that in his recent video.

You should probably start working on one thing at a time until it gets engrained into your muscle memory. Then move on to something else. Fixing your hip rotation may lead to other things being corrected as a result.

Stringbean,

You're right. My sentence was poorly constructed so that it is not clear what "in his video" is modifying.

I'm going to work on pulling through the core and then work on fixing my hip rotation unless someone sees an issue with that.

Thanks again!

New video:

A couple questions:

1. The first four throws are basically the same as last time, but I've lowered the disc and am pulling through lower. This seems to get me more distance. But, I believe is basically strong arming it.

2. The last 3 throws are me trying to "feel" the throw more. Thus, all the weird disc tossing going on. However, these throws go almost as far, but take less work. The other thing, Is my grip is a lot looser on these, and I think if I tightened up the grip more, I'd get more distance. Given all that above, can anyone see any difference between the first 4 and last 3? Is the last three what I'm going for?

3. I need to work on heel pivot over toe pivot. I mix and match when I throw. Any advice on this?

4. Looking at:

wSLvwFMl.jpg

I'm not doing the Wings + 1 legged stance with the left leg behind me like you see a lot of folks do. Is this something I should be actively working to mimic or is it something that happens when other things are working correctly?

Thanks in advance.

You lack the pause. The right leg pivots immediately upon ground contact. That means that you cannot get the elbow far enough in front of the body before the pivot and so the arm muscles and tendons are not stretched sapping snap. The last throws were slow because you had no acceleration there. It is ok for most to start that slow but you need to get to 80-100% power acceleration at some time. The right pec position is the starting point for the search for the best possible acceleration point and it depends on other parts of the form, your power, explosiveness, nerve system speed and so on which acceleration position and acceleration rate gives you the best distance for now. That will change in time with practice most likely.

I went out tonight and tried to work on shoulder pause and moving faster.

I had some luck with trying to go faster, I found if I got in a more aggressive stance (bent knees) and moved my legs faster, my arms moved faster with it. Although, I lost any control I had. I imagine this will improve with time.

However, on the shoulder pause, I'm not sure I really understand it. The legs twist, and then stop, the body slows down and the elbow pulls ahead of the body, and then the legs, body, and arm explode? Is that what the pause is? Is there a drill to establish this?

The sequence is correct and the elbow needs to be moved ahead with an active movement of the upper arm from the shoulder socket down. If you work from the hit back the idea is to get to the right pec position so try to do a few of the right pec drills then try to get a physical feel of how to get there. Another great drill is to face a wall with the disc half an inch away from the wall and the right pec pulling the disc slowly without touching the wall or yourself then slowly accelerating pace until you can get to great speed. That drill can hurt so be careful and don't start fast or add speed quickly.It will force the timing of the early to elbow chop movements to work together in proper sequence or the disc will hit you or the wall or you move too far off the wall. Cough sorry it can literally drive you made or the disc into your skin but it is a great drill. Another thing you could try was to pull a rubber exercise band in a straight line standing in place in front of a large mirror looking at your eyes never moving the head a bit stopping at the right pec -this needs to start slowly and never get to great speeds. Once that is comfortable it is fine to continue with a right pec drill creating a full throw.

Latest posts