• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Where's the Beef?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Is it just me or are a certain niche of discs going by the wayside? The kind of discs that aren't particularly good for throwing conventionally but particularly good for unconventional throwing. Like throwing flick rollers, skips, overhands, spike hyzers, etc. Discs like the Whippet, Banshee, Trident, Viper, xXx, the Max, etc. In particular, discs with really blunt, wide wings. Are we all supposed to make do with FAF Firebirds and xXx? Yeah, they still make the Banshee but they're all domey now and a domey Banshee is better for conventional throwing but the best flying Banshee is a mediocre flyer compared to Teebirds, Eagles, etc. Banshees should be flat.

What am I missing here? Is another company filling the void? Prodigy? DGA?

"Making due" with FAF Firebirds is barely even an option. I lost one and so far it's been a chore to replace it without paying a fortune.

MVP makes some consistently flat and overstable disc. The Resistor for instance

I don't know about the MOAB but the Resistor doesn't really fit here. It's a decent flyer and it doesn't have a really blunt nose like a Banshee, Whippet, Max that would make it a lot better for flick rollers.

Check out one of the Ledgestone "Fire-Trackers." Kinda blunt, and freakishly overstable. I once tried to throw a tomahawk that turned into a 350' forehand roller.

Can we add Discraft's Extreme, Talon and Reaper to the list of this sort of disc? Also gone by the wayside.

With the Machete in production, I foresee the Predator's eventual demise.

Latitude 64 accidentally made a similar disc, the Opto Spark. It was very overstable. They fixed that, though. The recent runs of Gold Line and Recycled Sparks that I have tried are more conventional.

The Drone is now made in fewer plastics. And, when people discuss it's stability on these forums, it sounds like it no longer behaves like it once did.

Some of the sports cars in disc golf are being changed over to family sedans.

MOAB is unspeakably overstable and incredibly underrated. Modified Viper in champion plastic. These things are straight meat markets!

Im having confusion. Are you looking for a speed 7 and below, super OS disc?

A friend of mine has a Star Viper with which he has several aces (somewhere in the neighborhood of 10, I believe). It's an old disc, so not quite as stable as it once was.
For me, I picked up an FLX ESP X-Clone from the 2015 AM Worlds. It was an absolute meat hook out of the box. I've used mine for two years now, so it has a little less beefiness to it.
But for utility shots (flick rollers, thumbers) I use my XXL Stamp Champion FAF Firebird.

But for utility shots (flick rollers, thumbers) I use my XXL Stamp Champion FAF Firebird.

Just to be fair, when people use the term FAF they are generally refering to the flat and FIRM production runs from around 2012 and 2013. I like the XXL Firebird, but it is a flat top process that is specifically done to make them flat, not a true FAF that molded up that way on its own. The Flat Topped, including the XXL's, are also not as overstable as FAFs. Still plenty overstable for the vast majority of people, myself included, and I am glad Innova is making them for CFR so that hunting down super overstable Firebirds is much easier, even if they are not quite the FAF run.

There do exist some great OS discs, but there are far too many 'sort of OS' discs on the market, and I do t have time for them. *stink eyes a Destroyer*

And a lot of the Very Os discs left are also very fast.

I bag a Justice these days, but I miss the Tacyon so much that the MOAB is sounding very good.

Just to be fair, when people use the term FAF they are generally refering to the flat and FIRM production runs from around 2012 and 2013. I like the XXL Firebird, but it is a flat top process that is specifically done to make them flat, not a true FAF that molded up that way on its own. The Flat Topped, including the XXL's, are also not as overstable as FAFs. Still plenty overstable for the vast majority of people, myself included, and I am glad Innova is making them for CFR so that hunting down super overstable Firebirds is much easier, even if they are not quite the FAF run.

Flat top Firebirds are not the same as FAF. Our most recent innova order we ordered flat topped firebirds and we had to label them as just firebirds because none of them were flat. They were just like every other firebird that you could pick off the shelf. Still good discs but not what was expected.

I know what you mean, a lot of the crazy OS have the really wide and shallow wings so they get nose angle sensitive and are extremely high speed. I personally like that speed 9ish sweet spot for this disc so I'm fine with Firebird class stuff.

Justice is definitely a disc to check out for slower speed, but that does have a midrange shape....whereas the slower beefy discs you listed have a fairway shape. Justice is definitely a FAF Firebird shaped like a mid.

I carry a Zone, Justice, Trident and Firebird for my goony forehand and thumbers. Trident definitely covers that slow fairway driver slot for me.

Flat top Firebirds are not the same as FAF. Our most recent innova order we ordered flat topped firebirds and we had to label them as just firebirds because none of them were flat. They were just like every other firebird that you could pick off the shelf. Still good discs but not what was expected.

Isn't that what I said?

It sucks that the flat tops you ordered came out not as described. All the ones I have seen were very flat (though as I said, not like the FAF runs), but I have seen some "flat top" Gators in person that would have me sending a very anger email about if i had been the one to order them.

Have you had any other experience with getting decent flat topped Firebirds and this was just a crappy batch of them or what?

Last edited:

Latest posts