• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Where's the Beef?

Can we add Discraft's Extreme, Talon and Reaper to the list of this sort of disc? Also gone by the wayside.
I thought the Xtreme was back in production, but doing a search I see that it is only limited editions. Sun King Discs has some for $19.99. :\ Ebay for $59.95! :eek:
That's more comparable to a Destroyer.

Okay. I haven't thrown any Destroyers. I got the O-Lace recently, used, and have only thrown it a little. It is a bit too OS for me, unless a strong headwind, which is what I am keeping it for. Well, that and, together with a beat Elite Xtreme, replacing the Resistor I lost for a while.

**intentionally avoids pointless conversation on Firebird terminology**

I don't think this class of disc is disappearing, although some molds are being discontinued or adjusted because they don't jive with modern plastics. That's the case for a lot of old molds, not just OS utility discs.

For anyone looking to fill this slot, some recommendations:
  • Flat-topped CG Champ Firebirds are available currently through the CFR program. Crazy OS and glideless.
  • A few years ago they were making CFR "Metal" Flake Firebirds; the flatter ones were great.
  • Discraft Flick
  • Legacy Enemy

Isn't that what I said?

It sucks that the flat tops you ordered came out not as described. All the ones I have seen were very flat (though as I said, not like the FAF runs), but I have seen some "flat top" Gators in person that would have me sending a very anger email about if i had been the one to order them.

Have you had any other experience with getting decent flat topped Firebirds and this was just a crappy batch of them or what?

Yes it is, I just cant read. But this was the first time we have got some in that were not flat.

I was able to pick up a 148g banshee the other day that molded up very flat and stiff; presently using it for thumbers.
Edit: this one was PFN at standard champ plastic pricing. It's true that all the flight #'ed banshees I've seen have been quite domey.

I do agree however that compared to the myriad options for OS discs with rims 2.0 cm and wider, there are fewer discs out there if you're looking for a more traditional OS utility discs for "trick shots."

Im having confusion. Are you looking for a speed 7 and below, super OS disc?

More like a speed 6-not warp speed super OS disc. I included the Max b/c it has a super blunt rim, which is what I'm focused on. Take the Banshee for example:

5bf64b28-642d-4646-81a5-a82a3007d2daInnova%20Profile%20-%20Aviar%20Banshee%20Champion.jpg

Compared to most drivers, that is a really blunt, flat, wide nose. Most drivers, even OS ones like the Resistor, have some sort of curve to them or come to more of a point. They're more aerodynamic I guess and makes them more useful for throwing but it doesn't make them exceptionally useful for rollers or similar shots.

It's true that there are some great beefy putters and some mids out there like Zones, Justice, Scale, VP etc but if you want something more in the FW speed range your choices are getting sparse.

It's kind of ironic that I'm learning of these Millennium discs for OS utility discs since their slogan has long been "keep it simple." I'm gonna have to check some of these out (especially if I ever lose my flat Banshee).

To answer the OP, I think it's just a trend. With the (somewhat) recent release of OS, but not stupid OS discs such as the sexton firebird, fd3, harp, anchor, rocx3, md4, it makes me believe that it's more just marketing in the manufacturers end in filling the "holes" in everyone's bag. This is all just IMHO tho and my own speculation.

There are still options out there however. The innova whippet and viper(both available in star thru their pro shop) and the hyzerbomb MOAB come to mind

There are still options out there however. The innova whippet and viper(both available in star thru their pro shop) and the hyzerbomb MOAB come to mind

And that's part of the problem: gotta go through the Proshop and their exorbitant shipping prices (or make a huge order) to get an S-Viper or S-Whippet.

I think that there aren't a whole lot of new speed 6-8 fairway drivers being released in general because a lot less players are bagging those traditional fairway driver speeds. I mean, when speed 10 or 11 was the fastest driver available, then it made sense to bag a speed 7 fairway in between your distance driver and your speed 4 mids. Now, most players are bagging speed 12-13 for distance drivers and speed 5 mids which means faster fairways are more popular since there is more separation distance-wise between the mids on one side an the distance drivers on the other. I'm not trying to say that's the right way to go; it's just what I see a lot. Personally, I bag mostly speed 9 fairway drivers (Thunderbirds and Firebirds) for exactly this reason. I'm sure there will always be a contingent of players who love traditional fairway speeds so those discs aren't going away, but I don't see a ton of new releases coming out in those speeds and some of less popular molds seem likely to be discontinued.

I think that there aren't a whole lot of new speed 6-8 fairway drivers being released in general because a lot less players are bagging those traditional fairway driver speeds. I mean, when speed 10 or 11 was the fastest driver available, then it made sense to bag a speed 7 fairway in between your distance driver and your speed 4 mids. Now, most players are bagging speed 12-13 for distance drivers and speed 5 mids which means faster fairways are more popular since there is more separation distance-wise between the mids on one side an the distance drivers on the other. I'm not trying to say that's the right way to go; it's just what I see a lot. Personally, I bag mostly speed 9 fairway drivers (Thunderbirds and Firebirds) for exactly this reason. I'm sure there will always be a contingent of players who love traditional fairway speeds so those discs aren't going away, but I don't see a ton of new releases coming out in those speeds and some of less popular molds seem likely to be discontinued.

Straight up. I bag speed 9s, speed 5s, and putters.

I simply have no use for really OS discs. I used to carry a Firebird, but way too many rounds went by without ever using it.

I'm confused.

I get that they aren't popular, but the h1 is exactly this. It flies fast because it's so damn flat, but it's pretty blunt and it's hella overstable.
There is a reason the X1 is selling for so much now. It was a brick and the people that loved it really loved it. OOP now, and they are left to spend exorbitant amounts for one. Same thing for the early run Opto Sparks and true FAF Firebirds.

And that's part of the problem: gotta go through the Proshop and their exorbitant shipping prices (or make a huge order) to get an S-Viper or S-Whippet.

This may have to be the way of things. These are extremely niche discs, and a very small percentage of the disc golf population throws them. Paying $20 or $25 for a disc you love in the plastic you love may be what it takes to still have some of these molds available (especially if you only need to buy these on occasion since they are typically utility, don't get used as much, and hold there stability longer because of it. But at least you know Innova (or whoever tries this model) sees exactly how many to produce since sales go from them directly. Running a small batch of a mold once a year is better for them than a large one every few years and it generally keeps them available to the public to a degree without going through Facebook and Ebay to track down the old runs.

Last edited:
This may have to be the way of things. These are extremely niche discs, and a very small percentage of the disc golf population throws them. Paying $20 or $25 for a disc you love in the plastic you love may be what it takes to still have some of these molds available (especially if you only need to buy these on occasion since they are typically utility, don't get used as much, and hold there stability longer because of it. But at least you know Innova (or whoever tries this model) sees exactly how many to produce since sales go from them directly. Running a small batch of a mold once a year is better for them than a large one every few years and it generally keeps them available to the public to a degree without going through Facebook and Ebay to track down the old runs.

You are absolutely correct.

But I still don't like it. :( :thmbdown:

There is a reason the X1 is selling for so much now. It was a brick and the people that loved it really loved it. OOP now, and they are left to spend exorbitant amounts for one...

I think they would have kept making it, but the mold broke.... heard that on DGCR somewhere.

It was a Prodigy rep on reddit. The mold did break. Plans to replace it down the road.

F1 is also slow and beefy.

I think they would have kept making it, but the mold broke.... heard that on DGCR somewhere.

Molds are fixable. Most every thing that can happen to a mold can be fixed. I cant really imagine a way they'd break a disc mold totally beyond repair. Maybe if they built a ridiculously super cheap mold to start with it might be causing more headaches then its worth to run though.

P.s...if any of the mold techs that work where i do, see this, it is NOT a challenge!!!

Latest posts