• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where's the Discraft XL?

MattE

I have been thinking about getting a Z XL lately for a straight fairway driver. The problem is that LSDiscs says they're out of stock. DiscGolfCenter has few colors and weights. The most local vendor doesn't have any. What really worries me is that the picture on discraft.com shows the very old stamp, where every other disc has the new Z stamp. Is Discraft still making these?

Also, would this be a good disc if I'm flipping my Z Avenger SS too far over? I throw about 330'-350' with my Destroyers and Forces, and use Z Buzzzes for 200' to 270'. I thought about a Stalker, but I've thrown one a bit and it seems to go really straight, but I wouldn't be able to turn it to the right gradually and consistently without hyzering out too soon. I'm looking for something that I can hyzer-flip to go very straight or slightly right for 300'. I plan to use this in the woods, so I feel the Z plastic is necessary.

Lastly, if I order online, what are the different properties of different colors?

Thanks a lot,
Matt

Colors: blue is overstable, orange is flippy, yellow is middle ground, pink is slightly flippier than yellow.

They still make the XL.

Try a Comet.

the XL has been around so long i wouldn't recommend using colors to determine much.

the newest XL's (with the newest hot stamp) are in a similar blend of plastic as the stalkers and came out much flatter than almost all previous runs.

ESPs are still selling. I like them. They will go flat and turn over or hyzer flip to flat for the most popular disc golf lines.

mixmasterob said:
SkaBob said:
Colors: blue is overstable, orange is flippy, yellow is middle ground, pink is slightly flippier than yellow.

They still make the XL.
those colors pertain just to Z XLs, or ESP as well?

Those are the colors that I notice similar trends in stability with across every plastic and mold Discraft makes that I've thrown each color in (APX, Comet, Challenger, Buzzz, Surge, Avenger, Predator, Rogue, Flash, XL, XS, X-Clone, Force, Flick, just to name a few that I've seen those stability trends in).

first run flashes were flippiest in blue and most overstable in orange.

the old dark blue (almost opaque) vinyl z stuff and the lighter clear blue from that same era were completely different from each other in terms of the shapes that came out.

if you were to say something like "over the past year" etc. i would give more credence to it.

to the person looking to get one, i don't know if i'd worry about color too much if you've never thrown one.

If the XL got discontinued, I would buy 20 elite Z and 20 elite X without thinking twice.

I also agree with what Blake said about colors, I have an orange Z with the newest stamp that is quite stable.

Great answers, thanks.
So I'll stop worrying about what color I get except to not interfere with the current scheme of my bag.
tito: I checked that out. Looks good. Thanks
Skabob: I was actually considering a Comet, but I figured that since I use my Buzzz to throw any shot that goes to the right, the Comet and Buzzz would overlap. Set me straight if there's something I'm missing.

get a heavier esp (173-175) and just hyzer flip it, it'll go straight forever, you'll love it so much you'll buy another lighter one for turnovers that are under 400 feet, it is "THE" understable fairway driver

also refereing back to the comet, i carry 3 buzzzes, a comet and a drone in my bag, the comet holds turnovers better than the buzzz and goes further, it doesn't overlap too bad in my opinion, it also has virtually no fade and holds any line you want, its like a buzzz for tighter situations (if thats possible....)

A beat buzzz can overlap with a comet. It depends on how beat and how you're throwing. The comet is more versatile, in my opinion, in that you don't need a beat to snot, base plastic one to pull crazy turnover/anhyzer lines with it, and you can also pull hyzers off with it once you've gotten some practice with it...

If you can get your hands on a Comet, I'd say throw it side by side with your Buzzz for a round or so, and see if you think they overlap in your hands.

SkaBob said:
A beat buzzz can overlap with a comet. It depends on how beat and how you're throwing. The comet is more versatile, in my opinion, in that you don't need a beat to snot, base plastic one to pull crazy turnover/anhyzer lines with it, and you can also pull hyzers off with it once you've gotten some practice with it...

If you can get your hands on a Comet, I'd say throw it side by side with your Buzzz for a round or so, and see if you think they overlap in your hands.

The Buzzz and Comet compliment each other in many ways. The Comet is more versatile...Honestly its probably the most versatile mid in that you can have just one and do all lines fairly well. I can't really say that about any one other mid. My glow Z Buzzz is pretty darn good as well, but it doesn't work over as many different distances as a Comet will. This is how the Buzzz and Comet overlapped for me though...there were too many shots that they were both good for making for a difficult decisions. Its almost like you have to commit to the Buzz or Comet and clearly define the other as your disc to do "X" with.

Blake_T said:
the XL has been around so long i wouldn't recommend using colors to determine much.

the newest XL's (with the newest hot stamp) are in a similar blend of plastic as the stalkers and came out much flatter than almost all previous runs.

Anybody know if this current 'stalker blend' Z run XLs came out more like the X/ESP flights?

discspeed said:
Its almost like you have to commit to the Buzz or Comet and clearly define the other as your disc to do "X" with.

which is what I've done. Instead of forcing one to do what I have difficulty making it do, I just do what comes easy for me with each one. It's 2 extra discs in the bag, but I already carry too many, so what's a couple extra? :)

Z's are a notch more overstable. I think ESP is 1.2 and FLX/Z are 1.5.

It's really not like one is a boss and one is a sidewinder though. Pretty subtle. More like at 300', one will turn over a bit and one will go straight.

I forgot to add that the flat FLX XLs are mad overstable and have no glide. Like Banshee overstable.
Easily the most overstable XL you can find.