• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whiny little babies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually turn within and try to refocus, and at worst, make some self-deprecating comments. I never get so mad that I won't compliment a good golf shot, however.

And damn right I complained at Am Worlds. I vented with my fellow smokers and tried to get as many people as I could to criticize the ban in their feedback. Especially when there's a protocol in place to deal with the issue should it become intrusive.

Since they've softened this year, you won't hear a peep out of me.

Last edited:
so move up. play masters. or Grand masters. or whatever.

Yes then I pay MORE money and play for cash and never win. I'm a 900 rated player I can't move up to open and compete, heck I don't compete in AM2 as it is.

i dont know what to say. i know a lot of guys who sell the plastic they win. I will usually sell my voucher to some rec player for 60% of the value. $40 in merch for $25 or something like that. usually works.

I can understand getting upset if your performance in that round has a direct effect on where you eat that night. Think about practicing putting every day for hours, driving across several states to get to an A-tier event, crashing on the floor at some dirty hippies apartment. Then you start the event, still feeling good about last weeks B-tier win against these same guys, and nothing works. By the end of the 1st day the best you can do is win a few bucks more than you paid to play. Not even enuff to pay for the cigaretts you smoked durring that backup on hole 12. You are going to have to try and sell some plastic to pay for gas to get to next weeks event when all you want to do is go cry in the woods after the round.

I play more for the social aspect than I do for the winnings. Hell every CTP I win is always a Medium shirt. I've met all sorts of people doing tournaments. I would say around here 90% are friendly people. The one really bad encounter I have had (Contact the TD during the tournament) was in TN. :D

:)

Last edited:
I can understand getting upset if your performance in that round has a direct effect on where you eat that night. Think about practicing putting every day for hours, driving across several states to get to an A-tier event, crashing on the floor at some dirty hippies apartment. Then you start the event, still feeling good about last weeks B-tier win against these same guys, and nothing works. By the end of the 1st day the best you can do is win a few bucks more than you paid to play. Not even enuff to pay for the cigaretts you smoked durring that backup on hole 12. You are going to have to try and sell some plastic to pay for gas to get to next weeks event when all you want to do is go cry in the woods after the round.

^get a job. you obviously arent good enough to live off dg

I never go into a tournament expecting to make anything close to what I put into playing (that mostly comes from only playing lower divisions and not being a PDGA member, so I shell out $10 more already). It's always for fun. I have met people, though, who act like someone just went Ol' Yeller on their dog. The only time I've ever gotten down on myself was when I was in the lead for 3 rounds and inexplicably imploded on round 4 to drop to 2nd place. Which really wasn't bad, but I was riding a real high on my first weekend-long tournament.

I usually budget my tournament costs as recreation. Whatever I spend is gone. Whatever I get from selling schwag and plastic is just beer money. Hey, it's just a fun sport.

I just want to thank this thread for improving the quality of my signature, it has been lacking for a while now.:D

I've played in six tournaments. I've come to the conclusion that they aren't any fun. The pace is excruciatingly slow. Way too many players piss and moan while they wait. Many are arrogant... this amazes me. I look around and only about 20% of the players appear to be having fun.

My leisure time is too valuable to participate in activities that aren't a lot of fun. Playing with friends, or complete strangers, in a casual round is almost always fun.

About the smoking: I'm a wildfire crewboss and don't smoke, but most of my crew does. I tell 'em that if they're smoking and I walk up, it's OK, you're not obliged to accomodate me. But if we're having a close-in meeting and you choose to light up and blow it in my face from 6 feet away---not cool. Personally I've no issue on the links as I can move away, but if someone starts chimneying me from 3 feet I will say something.
As far as *******s throwing loser fits, I'll laugh out loud if I'm playing better than they are.:p

There have been some tournaments that were excrutiatingly painful. I'd agree that the majority of tournaments aren't as fun as playing with friends. But then there have been some amazing competitive experiences, like coming within one stroke of winning a national title, for example. And I've made so many friends along the way that I never would have met otherwise. How is it not worth it?

I'm not one to complain about others' behaviour very often but I don't appreciate it when other players bring forward a negative vibe. It's especially challenging playing with people who constantly beat themselves up when they're not performing well. I try my best to shrug it off when I'm doing so well.

My favorite is when the dude in the lead on the card is being a douche about his drive being 10 feet off, and meanwhile he is doing better than everyone else. Not only is he not having a good time, he is arrogant. We all bang trees and giggle and he is kicking his bag because he has a long birdie putt to make. Sheesh!

Star, the lead on the card I'm on would typically be at the bottom of the pool, at the lowest level. I'm not very good (we have played a few rounds together at Sylmar before and you destroyed me), which is why it boggles me when an AM gets so worked up!!!

I would understand if they were touring...then again at that level you would think they would know how to play without incurring courtesy violations.

Hell every CTP I win is always a Medium shirt.

God, this drives me nuts. Every players pack, tournament payout, CTP, etc....always an extra-medium shirt. There are maybe two people in the entire field that wear a shmedium.

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
As for smoking, I don't really care what anyone does. However, it is pretty weak to see all the cig butts on the course. If you're going to smoke, take responsibility for your butts.

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
As for smoking, I don't really care what anyone does. However, it is pretty weak to see all the cig butts on the course. If you're going to smoke, take responsibility for your butts.

Could be worse. Some courses, those AREN'T the kind of butts you're seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts