• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why all the Innova Hate?

Do people really hate Innova? For real???

Please explain. . .

A few probably do but I think it's more people who do only throw innova thinking any other manufacturer is just trendy and they couldn't possibly be throwing it for legit reasons like plastic preference or actually improving your game.

Paul McBeth is going to rule the course with any discs and feels he does it best with Innova. That's cool but I pretty much suck with any disc so I choose the ones that feel the best and I get the best flight, glide, and distance with. I guess I'm a hater. :(

if you think changing disc companies will improve your game you're doing it wrong

Shouldn't the focus of attention/heat be on the PDGA? (in terms of being directly responsible for the sport's growth and professionalism)

Edit: I am strongly biased against the pdga (membership began in 2006)

Last edited:
I didn't say where, asswipe....like I said, excuse after excuse from you.

It will be somewhere in between.

I will be at deerlakes next summer for jrawks bachelor party. I may be in PA some other time, or Buffalo, with in the next few months. I gave no excuse. Just an invitation. You can come here in November and we can play the course I helped design, so you can be in awe twice. Johnny three times, once for just meeting me
We can continue this pissing contest later, after your old prostate gets a rest

Last edited:
Let's get this thread back on track.

Blizzard, Atlas, Destrulcan, Wahoo, Groove, 15 different Aviars, 10 different Rocs.

All good plastic is gone or too expensive, DX sucks. Am I going to get a domey or flat? 12x firebird. R-pro. New mold vs old mold. Factory store shipping prices.

I throw a bunch of Innova, but come on... They mess up a lot of stuff.

Where's Innova East located? How much credit does Charlotte alone have with Innova for baskets? Looking at the 9 pages of courses in Charlotte, those with Discatchers start at the end of page 1 and end on page 8. That's 125/172. NC is a very balanced state amongst manufacturers though. :thmbup:

Laughable indeed.

Because courses typically choose Innova baskets in our area that means Innova has helped grow the sport here?

I'm not sure what that has to do with it.

Blizzard, Atlas, Destrulcan, Wahoo, Groove, 15 different Aviars, 10 different Rocs.

All good plastic is gone or too expensive, DX sucks. Am I going to get a domey or flat? 12x firebird. R-pro. New mold vs old mold. Factory store shipping prices.

dawson_crying.jpg

MVP is a little company formed by some young guys whose dad worked in an plastic injection molding factory:

http://rattlingchains.com/?p=2377

They just wanted to make great Discs. They don't have capital for sponsoring events or paying Pros to promote them at this time. They just got their first drivers out in October 2012 and it took them a year to get that right.

MVP uses the two piece overmold technology that Dave from Innova said he wanted to use when he started Innova, but found that the "cost was ridiculously prohibitive". Dave talks about that in this Atlas review:

http://allthingsdiscgolf.com/innova-atlas-dave-dunipace-interview/

In general, MVP discs look great, fly great and are durable. So they deserve lots of credit for what they have managed to accomplish. But most Pros aren't going to pick up Discs from a brand new manufacturer run by some kids, when there is 30 years of wisdom and expertise behind Innova Discs and the people that use them.

Prodigy is completely different in that respect. Pros will just pick up their Discs because they have given those Pros the best monetary deals, giving them a piece of the company, and do have the capital to sponsor Pros, events and insure they can keep making Discs for a long time.

I like the comparison of Innova to GM in the 70's - 90's. It's kinda true. GM put out whatever crappy cars they come up with and people would still buy them. But then, as now, things change as competition for market share comes into play.

I haven't been playing that long, so I don't have years of experience with inconsistencies from any company in particular. The + mold deal isn't cool, but at least I know what to look out for. Point is, Innova's been around the longest and has the largest offering of different molds. They've also had the most opportunity make mistakes, and like GM hopefully the company will respond to competition by putting out a higher quality, more competitive product. Fact is, they make something for everybody and unless you started playing 2 weeks ago, you probably got your start throwing Innova discs. They also have made some great products and "innovative" advances by not resting on their laurels, but continually designing new products and manufacturing methods in order to put out products that people want. You may not like that Blizzard Boss, but the fact that they've sold a ton of them shows that they are both responding to and driving the market for plastic.

I think that competition has blown up the market. We've got more choices now than ever before and we should be happy for that. Innova is responding to market forces by putting out higher quality products (jolly launcher is almost as good as opto, but not quite ;)) and hopefully this trend will continue. We all stand to benefit from it and we all have benefitted from Innova at some point, even if they are not your favorite manufacturer anymore. You've got to give respect where respect is due.

I personally think Gold Line is the best thing going right now. It feels like Star with a grippy clear coat all over it and the fact that it looks awesome, is darn near indestructible and glides like nobody's business are just bonuses, but it wouldn't exist if Innova hadn't started pushing the boundaries of disc manufacturing in general and introducing premium plastic blends to the market.

In general though, if you read Innova "hate" on a DG forum you should take it with a grain of salt. It's like politics. Only the most extreme of positions get any attention at all. Anybody with a common sense, reasonable approach to a position will usually, not always but usually, get drowned out by the shouting from either side of the aisle.

Old or new mold Ion? Old Proton or current Proton? First Run or production run Vector/Shock? Old mold or new mold Vision? Bar stamp or Circle stamp Buzzz? Nuke OS, Nuke, or Nuke SS? I could go on.

And DX plastic is awesome!

Literally one shot.

I've never seen anyone over 970 throw them.

i'm pretty sure Kulp had or still does have some MVP in his bag. no big deal though he's just a guy over 970 who lives in our area that i know you know. but again your argument is solely based on things you've seen... master of logic you are.

i'm also pretty sure ZJ on here is rated over 970... somebody fact check me on that.

I don't think people hate Innova as much as you're thinking, OP. More than likely, there's an Innova disc in their bag. If it's only one, it's most likely an Aviar, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, or a Destroyer.

The Innova discs I carry - Eagle L, Teebird, 2 Firebirds, and a Destroyer.

i'm pretty sure Kulp had or still does have some MVP in his bag. no big deal though he's just a guy over 970 who lives in our area that i know you know. but again your argument is solely based on things you've seen... master of logic you are.

i'm also pretty sure ZJ on here is rated over 970... somebody fact check me on that.

I didn't know Kulp threw their stuff. The times I've played with him it didn't stand out that he was throwing them. Comets SOLFs Orions Eagles and starfires are what I remember the last time I played with him - and that was 3 rounds at Buckhorn.

If I was wrong, it was an honest mistake. Don't get all upset and "as matter of factish."

I still carry an Anode.... it's still the best driving putter i've thrown.

You are going to be in the minority. It does not surprise me that you drive well with it, I think it is too slick for putting, but I could see it as a nice tunnel disc or driver for someone like you.

I didn't know Kulp threw their stuff. The times I've played with him it didn't stand out what he was throwing. Comets SOLFs Orions Eagles and starfires are what I remember the last time I played with him - and that was 3 rounds at Buckhorn.

If I was wrong, it was an honest mistake. Don't get all upset and hollier than thou.

you know i have to bust your balls, it's our dynamic.