• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why is everyone so caught up in the "search feature"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bunch of jaded dudes on these threads just looking for a reason to bitch. Post what you want, I dont care if another Buzzz vs Roc thread is posted, im not going to read it anyways and neither should those guys.

My main concern is people that make a new thread, and there is an active thread with this topic already being discussed. You don't have to use the search feature but at least look at the 1st page of the forum that you wish to create a thread in and see if the topic is already under discussion.

As a newer user on this site I can see where the OP is coming from. To be clear, its not about the search feature, its about the ADVANCED SEARCH FEATURE. There you can find exactly what you want. Sure you want to hear the newest things about an old classic. I hear that. But Im not going to lie, when a really old thread gets revived its kind of cool to keep adding to it. I mean everything is time stamped so if you only want new info you can just go by that. No need to have the same discussion in multiple threads. It just makes sifting through that much harder. just my opinion.

To be clear, its not about the search feature, its about the ADVANCED SEARCH FEATURE. There you can find exactly what you want.

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

And all this time. I hate it when Preubable is wrong. I'm such a, ah what do you call it, oh yeah a fan of that guy and now my heart is broken. I'm never listening to a word that guy has to say. Why did nobody talk about the ADVANCED search feature yet????????

Having a week off of work has been a pleasure guys. I think my questions have been answered, or searched for!!!:D

I know why people do it.

ONE MORE TIME.

If I wanted to find the information about a previously discussed topic I'll go to the search feature. That's not what many of us want to do. Time goes on, things change, new people come to this site with NEW ideas or old ideas with a new spin.

You would have a point HOWEVER all information about Prodigy is new. They are only 3 months old. So, in your example you should absolutly just post or read through one of the 30 threads already started. You didn't come up with a new question or spin to warrant a new thread.

In a year, if you started a thread titled: "How has your Prodigy disc beat in over the last year?," that would be something good to do....unless 3 people had already started the same thread a month earlier.

I haven't read most of the thread, so I don't know if this has been discussed. The big problem I see with the search function is the fact that posting an old thread brings it to the top in full form, I know it's happened to all of us at one time or another: click on an unfamiliar thread, find yourself seemingly in the middle of a conversation, track back to page 1 and not realize until page 4 (or after you've already responded) that you're reading a conversation that happened in 2009 and half of these people aren't around anymore...

A previous message board I was a part of automatically hid any posts older than 3 days (this number would be customizable), you could click a button to bring up the older posts if you wanted to see the old conversation, otherwise the first post at the top of the thread would be the new conversation piece I wanted to bring to the conversation. No confusion, and easier to follow where an old discussion ended and where a new one begins.

...A previous message board I was a part of automatically hid any posts older than 3 days (this number would be customizable), you could click a button to bring up the older posts if you wanted to see the old conversation, otherwise the first post at the top of the thread would be the new conversation piece I wanted to bring to the conversation. No confusion, and easier to follow where an old discussion ended and where a new one begins.

That's a great idea. With the general culture of this board being "I want my own thread!", I don't see something like this changing anything unfortunately.

It would be great on DGR though. Some of those threads are just too large to be useful without a working search function.

If I want some info, I'll find an old thread. If that thread doesn't have what I want, I'll post a new question within that thread. If I still don't get what I want, I'll make a new thread. That almost never happens.

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

And all this time. I hate it when Preubable is wrong. I'm such a, ah what do you call it, oh yeah a fan of that guy and now my heart is broken. I'm never listening to a word that guy has to say. Why did nobody talk about the ADVANCED search feature yet????????

Having a week off of work has been a pleasure guys. I think my questions have been answered, or searched for!!!:D

That is part of the search feature, as is the google search tool.
I am the Ultra-advanced Search Feature :popcorn:

I always search for what it is Im looking for. Usually though I have a specific question that Im looking for an answer to or something that's not exactly what was talked about before or all the threads are too old. I mean Im not really concerned about what someone said about something 3 years ago. Thing are different now.

Alot of the other forums Ive been on people would be just as, if not more, bitchy about necro posting old threads. So either was its a lose lose

Also to note, alot of the beginners don't know that the regular search function doesn't seem to work very well. They search something there, no results come up, so they think there aren't any threads about their topic. In my opinion, the site really only needs the Google search function. It does a great job at finding what you need.

The problem with the Google search feature is, though it does pull more results, its not sortable and it sorts by relevance and not date. So say I use it to search for CE plastic. I get 40 or 50 threads, but I have to go through pages of old stuff 2008 and 30 marketplace threads that I don't want to read to get something relevant. Not sure if you can get google to search a specific section or not, I think maybe, but if google could sort by date though it would be even better.

I do fairly well with the forum search though, I can usually make it find what im looking for with a little coaxing.

If you used the search feature for "Prerube", you wouldn't have to ask that question.

You will get over 475 results. It would be easier to send me a pm telling me what you are looking for :D :popcorn:

Im not sure don't do it. Wouldn't searching for prerube be kinda like googling google? It may undo the internet.

My system is to put faith in the fact that I've wasted so much time lingering around this site, that if something of interest to me had previously come up I'd already know about it.

Which doesn't eliminate that other useful purpose of the Advanced Search---finding and dredging up an old thread, for which a clever counterargument to an 8-month-old post has just occurred to me.

Google search

Wow , a thread about what I was just patting myself on the back for !

So proud of myself for switching to the google search and finding Feldbergs putting clinic that I saw someone repost a month ago . But first coming across old links that had been removed then figuring it out myself !

For my iPad trolling , google is the way to search :thmbup:

But this is an overwhelming site to someone just starting out , full of overwhelming people with overwhelming advice .

Sometimes it seems like a grumpy old guy not wanting new whippersnappers throwing frisbees on their lawn . :D

Wow , a thread about what I was just patting myself on the back for !

So proud of myself for switching to the google search and finding Feldbergs putting clinic that I saw someone repost a month ago . But first coming across old links that had been removed then figuring it out myself !

For my iPad trolling , google is the way to search :thmbup:

But this is an overwhelming site to someone just starting out , full of overwhelming people with overwhelming advice .

Sometimes it seems like a grumpy old guy not wanting new whippersnappers throwing frisbees on their lawn . :D

You are correct, which is why I have asked people to be more leniant due to the nearly 2 million posts.
It does no good to say use the search feature. If you are too lazy to use the search feature to find them an appropriate link, then you should not tell them they are lazy for using not using the search feature.

What this thread needs is Gregg Zart coming in here and telling you all that you're disc golf nobodies and he's the best caddy ever. Feldberg said so. You want the link?!

I like the big threads if it's about speculation but if I have a new unreleased mold from DD to throw and talk about I'm not going to put it in that massive thread because people complain about searching it for specifics. A new thread on a new topic though is not an issue. It's when you get the threads like Prerube was talking about. Nothing new to discuss just people who are logged on and bored. Make a massive boredom thread in the water cooler and go there whenever you get the urge to create a thread for no good reason. Lot of forums have that one thread for just this reason. Might help.

People today WANT IT NOW and they don't want to search or wait.

I blame all the devices that people have for decreasing attention spans and increasing a sense of instant gratification and entitlement.

People today WANT IT NOW and they don't want to search or wait.

I blame all the devices that people have for decreasing attention spans and increasing a sense of instant gratification and entitlement.

I think it has less to do with instant gratification and is more about wanting to be the one to start the discussion. It's about attention, not time.

I do think people on internet forums pretty much everywhere have to realize that they are not constructed to be a know all resource for information in the same way that an article by a credentialed someone is. They are constructed for discussion. To insist that any previous discussion was the be all and end all for that topic and that we can just add on to those threads if it wasn't seems to be a myopic view.

But if there's something that does grind my gears when these "done to death" topics come up, its the fact that they seem to disappear for awhile, and then when a new thread on one of those topics returns, all of a sudden there's like two more of them within a week. I mean, c'mon guys you can't look at the first couple of pages to find those?

I agree, I do not think the old threads are "be all end all" I think that if people continue the topic then all of the other information will be in one place instead of searching through 15 threads about the same topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts