• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter never ends in Idaho

peppermack

Double Eagle Member
So it is April and I have only had three nice days so far this year to play DG. It has been snowing off and on for three days. Below is a pic I took three minutes ago. Just sharing my misery with you all.

PICT0081.jpg

this is why I never want to leave south/central texas

I couldnt imagine being forced inside all day every day

suck man

Misery??? I'd have been on my way to Grand Targhee for a day of fresh powder skiing. I love having four seasons.

Webslinger said:
Misery??? I'd have been on my way to Grand Targhee for a day of fresh powder skiing. I love having four seasons.

I don't ski, its not worth the money to me. When I spend money on stuff I think "man I could buy a lot of discs with that $$". Skied when I was younger (like 15 years ago) but not fo a long time. I like four seasons too, but not a winter that last 6 months.

Well, around here the great thing is that we have been above freezing temps for the last week pretty much, and lost 10 inches of snow already. The bad thing is that there's still 21 inches to go...

vto said:
Well, around here the great thing is that we have been above freezing temps for the last week pretty much, and lost 10 inches of snow already. The bad thing is that there's still 21 inches to go...

Ya, compared to you I have nothing to complain about. Are you above the Arctic Circle. I have been to Norway and Sweden and I am assuming that where you live is as beautiful as those two countries so you have that going for ya!

Yep, its cold up there in Idaho. I recall living in ND for some time, winter seemed like it would never end. But the summers were spectacular.

Our spring is almost ended in NorCal, only the plentiful rains this year keep the grass from entering its "dry brown stick in the socks and poke the hell out of the feet" stage. Oh well, I'm still enjoying it while the green lasts.

peppermack said:
vto said:

Ya, compared to you I have nothing to complain about. Are you above the Arctic Circle. I have been to Norway and Sweden and I am assuming that where you live is as beautiful as those two countries so you have that going for ya!
Not quite at the Arctic Circle, but very close, 65° North. Pretty close in geography to northern Sweden, but much less mountains than Norway. Yes, it's beautiful, and even though such a northern location does have it's drawbacks, I can't imagine living in a different climate :) (If I had to move, it'd probably be to somewhere in Canada or Alaska..)

peppermack said:
Webslinger said:

I don't ski, its not worth the money to me. When I spend money on stuff I think "man I could buy a lot of discs with that $$". Skied when I was younger (like 15 years ago) but not fo a long time. I like four seasons too, but not a winter that last 6 months.

But I'll tell you what, on those days when it's just cold, windy, snowy, and I got nothing better to do, I'm just spending loads of cash online for new discs. My wife claims it's cheaper on our budget for me to go skiing. I'm like, "...budget, what's a budget?..."

Winter never starts here on FL's central Gulf coast...We had the worst winter in decades, but only about 10 days where DG would have been unpleasant (40s-50s and wind/rain). I do hate cold rain though...I used to play in the snow and its much better than cold rain.

This is pretty much the worst part of the season here in Finland. Everywhere is wet as hell, there's still lots of snow, but it's soft so all the parking lots are cleaned up (they don't bother in the winter since the ~1 foot thick layer of ice can be a bitch to remove) so they're useless etc. I finally got about 10 half decent throws in today (over a week since I had a chance to throw anything, it was truly agonizing) when I went to visit my parents. They live by a lake so the ice provided a nice driving range. Too bad there surface is messed up, there are layers of ice and water so even though it could support a truck overall you break through the top constantly. No run up and you get freezing wet feet.

Still, I love it here. The winter is beautiful (well was this year, been a bit half assed for the last 3-5 years) and the summer is stunning. I think Minnesota is pretty close to the climate of Finland, considering so many Finnish immigrants settled there ("Hey, this is just like home, but thousands of miles away!"). Actually when I first heard about Cale Leiviska and Blake Takkunen I immediately thought "OK, those guys are definitely from Minnesota." by their obviously Finnish family names.

Too bad I haven't had a chance to go skiing lately. In my hometown I had a hill only 3-4 miles away from home, I often went there straight from school. Now I don't really have any winter hobbies left. =(

we dug out most of the tees at the local course a couple weeks ago, since then we've gotten about 4ft of snow and what do you know......... it's snowing right now. Good thing theres plenty of dry courses an hour down the hill. This April feel like February.

7" of snow/slush and raining in Helsinki. If this keeps up the snow is gone and the ground is even more slippery because the grass separates from the the mud roots and all. And there's less surface area to keep you planted without snow supporting the sides of the shoes. Luckily that means we don't need to make room in the snow for upshots and putts. If I don't make moving area for the legs I usually get twisted one way or the other during weight shift.

Well we got five and a half inches of snow last night and some crazy wind creating huge snow drifts. had to go out at 6am to shovel so the wife could get the car out.

Iowa is having a heat wave. I have taken advantage of this an been playing disc almost everyday sometimes twice a day. Its pretty nice. :D