• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Rule: PLEASE Clear The Tee Pad, Or Don't Use The Tee Pad

I guess I don't mind having to shovel off tee pads, but it gets frustrating when you're the only one doing it. Winter disc golf is hard work, and at 65 I sometimes don't have the energy to both shovel snow and play a round. It would be nice if some of the younger players would pitch in, but so far the only help I've gotten was from Mountain Man, and he's an old fart like me. It takes a community effort to keep pads clean up here because we get so much snow, and younger, more able bodied players need to step up, which they haven't done up to now.:wall:

Here in Kansas its hit and miss with snow buildup on the tees but I have never had a problem with it

So then, I'll simply NOT use the pad, and just throw from the side of it, or in front on it.
IDK, you get the same iced footprints just to the side of the pad, perhaps a little slower than on a concrete pad. Our local winter-only course usually turns into complete ice. The tee (which are all natural, no concrete for us here), the fairway, the parking lot, the circle, the golf greens we aren't supposed to walk on, everything.

I do like the flamethrower idea.

I guess I don't mind having to shovel off tee pads, but it gets frustrating when you're the only one doing it. Winter disc golf is hard work, and at 65 I sometimes don't have the energy to both shovel snow and play a round. It would be nice if some of the younger players would pitch in, but so far the only help I've gotten was from Mountain Man, and he's an old fart like me. It takes a community effort to keep pads clean up here because we get so much snow, and younger, more able bodied players need to step up, which they haven't done up to now.:wall:

James and I shoveled them a couple of times late in the winter golf season last year. We were out there after that ridiculous April Blizzard and also attempted to use a hammer to deal with the issue that Mountain Man is describing (it doesn't work well on gravel teepads)...

But that was after you'd done a most of work for the first months of winter. Thanks for making the winter golf much more possible.

More people might help if more people our direction played winter golf (or played disc at all these days, yeesh).

On the other hand, here's a shout out to younger players who help older players who can't climb a tree or bounce down into that 10 foot ravine for a disc. They probably do it to speed up play but I still appreciate thoughtful youngins.

I do it because I can climb, and because I know the struggles of loosing a disc. I'm also the guy who goes pond diving, though it depends on the weather and where in the pond it is. I actually injured my throwing elbow shoveling snow, so I think I should get a pass, but if I get a chance to play after a snowfall, I'll clear any teepads I can, provided I remember to bring a shovel.:doh:

Must be tough having to remember course etiquette when snow is present. Poor bastards 😎

Our biggest problem is that it almost never gets above freezing after mid December, so any ice left on the pads becomes semi permanent. Then it's ice choppers or salt, both of which cause damage, especially on our brand new pads. A little bit of effort right after a storm will alleviate so many problems down the road.

Must be tough having to remember course etiquette when snow is present. Poor bastards 😎

I know. I was born in Florida. I have no idea what they are talking about.:hfive:

Latest posts