• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Rule: PLEASE Clear The Tee Pad, Or Don't Use The Tee Pad

I remember going to courses we didn't play that much, and trying to find the teepad buried under the snow so we could shovel it... at least once we tromped all over it trying to find it.

Hopefully you aren't going to suggest not playing a course if you don't know exactly where the teepad is! :)

Like I mentioned earlier, I've been testing different Porta Paddy Prototypes. Here's what I've come up with so far-

Saturday, I carried a small rectangle of carpet during a Secret Santa event, in Eau Claire WI. It worked great for a non-slip surface on top of the pads. But it was a pain in the butt to carry, and people not used to throwing off of carpeting had issues with their steps, on the slightly raised surface.

Yesterday, we played at Sandy Point Disc Golf Ranch. Simply awesome winter golf conditions. (yes, this is a hidden brag, and a shameless plug ;-) )

I tried out a bathroom throw rug, and a large beach towel. The throw rug was good, and lighter than the carpet rectangle, so easier to carry. However, I'm going with the beach towel for the W!

Light, easier to carry, easy to shake to the snow off of it after every use, and very effective on a slippery tee pad surface. Thin, so no issues with steps. Very inexpensive, picked up a couple at Walmart for just under $6.

Just remember, the Porta Paddy does not replace the need for clearing the pads before using them. We still shoveled and swept everything, before laying out the towel.:thmbup:

Today, I'm hauling my prototypes over to North Bluff, the Eric McCabe designed championship course in Escanaba, MI. (yep, you got it, another hidden brag!)

Last edited: