• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

would a starfire be a good compliment to the teebird?

MikePD

Par Member
I was wondering how well the starfire would compliment the teebird for longer shots? I know the starfire is a little faster and more stable and I have been practicing a lot with the teebird lately, so I was trying to find a faster driver that I can apply some of the technique that I picked up from gaining distance on my teebird. Once and a while I will pick up my wraith and throw it as if it was a teebird and get over 400 ft, but my wraith is old and flippy. I thought that I might find some more distance If i try a disc with a 0 turn rating so I got the idea to try the starfire? any opinions?

to me the starfire is a good complement to the teebird but it is more nose sensitive and alittle more overstable but a heavy prostarfire will be good in the begginning but then you can work up to the champ (i will never go a round with out one becuase i can make it do anything (backhand or forehand)

I have a Star Teerex, and it is WAAY more stable than any of my Pro Starfires....is that not normal?

It would seem from his post that he is considering a Star or Champ Starfire, the x mold. In this case, it's like a faster, more stable Teebird, yes. I suppose a good comparison would be the Avenger, although the Starfire X doesn't have a ton of glide.

I carry a Champ Tee Bird and Champ Starfire, and beleive they are a good compliment to each other. Might be some overlap their but still like both and will continue to carry both.

The Starfire-X will make a good moderately overstable driver and/or distance driver and won't overlap much with a Teebird. It will be better on lower lines and into the wind. I've heard they can get a little squirrley for those with 450'+ worth of power, but I have no way of confirming that. The Avenger or OLF might work for you, too.

Not trying to brag, but I can throw 450+ not upon will but have about a dozen times or so in the last month or 2 and the Champ Starfire can handle all of my power. I haven't thrown the Champ Starfire 450 only the Pro Wraith on a very high anny line and let it flex out. I do have one 172gr Champ Starfire thats getting a little squirrelly but I have had it in the bag since late 2003. All of the Starfires I throw are the X mold. I used to have the L mold, but they really are too flippy.

jeremy said:
Not trying to brag, but I can throw 450+ not upon will but have about a dozen times or so in the last month or 2 and the Champ Starfire can handle all of my power. I haven't thrown the Champ Starfire 450 only the Pro Wraith on a very high anny line and let it flex out. I do have one 172gr Champ Starfire thats getting a little squirrelly but I have had it in the bag since late 2003. All of the Starfires I throw are the X mold. I used to have the L mold, but they really are too flippy.

Those flippy Pro Starfires will hit 425+ hyzer line in a tailwind (for extra stability), and they get 375-400 easily with in most conditions with a hyzer-flip as long as you don't overpower it. They pull monstrous anny lines as well. I think it compliments the Teebird better than the Champ S-X, which is too overstable IMO.

If you're looking for a "Teebird on steroids" then I'd go with a Star Wraith or maybe a lightweight Z Crush.

im definately going to try a starfire-x now. I am loving the teebird so much, I lose 30 or so feet from my wraith but i gain twice as much predictability. If it wasn't for this site I would still think that newer+stabler+faster=better. My game has opened up so much since I started throwing my teebird and XL instead of destroyers, wraiths etc. Thanks a bunch guys!

I'm too new to take advice from, but I bought a Champ Starfire X and didn't like how much more stable it was than my Pro's. I can throw it as far, but all the places I play that require a shot over 300, also require the shot to be STRAIGHT, and I can't do that with the X. I freakin' love my Pro Starfires. :D I can throw them almost 400'.

I don't think the Pro Starfires and the Champ Starfires should even share the same name. I'm not a disc designer, they are both great discs though but for totally different purposes.

jeremy said:
I don't think the Pro Starfires and the Champ Starfires should even share the same name.

+1

I love the Pro Starfire-L's. Bought a champion one and feel like I wasted money. Not a horrible disc, but not what I wanted at all.

Latest posts