• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Would you want a Overmolded Lid-like disc?

Would you want a Overmolded Lid-like disc?

• Total voters
^^^ They've got one of those AMF Voit lids for study at HQ, pretty neat disc. I didn't throw that one but I took them an overly gyroscopic lid to test... that thing is the finest lid I ever threw.

what is this THING you speak of? Almost bought one of those AMF voit discs on ebay last winter it was so weird looking.

what is this THING you speak of? Almost bought one of those AMF voit discs on ebay last winter it was so weird looking.
It's a Chinese no-name stamped up as band merch, acquired by a homie at DN. The bros determined it was a miscut mold, where a too-large-bit routed out the lower wing. The rim below the parting line is 2-3x as thick as the same wall section in the upper/plate mold piece. It's a dream line-locker at any power, very slow drop. It's actually shaped a lot like the AMFV lid.

It's a Chinese no-name stamped up as band merch, acquired by a homie at DN. The bros determined it was a miscut mold, where a too-large-bit routed out the lower wing. The rim below the parting line is 2-3x as thick as the same wall section in the upper/plate mold piece. It's a dream line-locker at any power, very slow drop. It's actually shaped a lot like the AMFV lid.
:thmbup::thmbup:
I picked up one of these a few weeks ago-- its like a plastic dinner plate with a hard PVC rim. Even with the raised up 3D face it flies surprisingly well.

TMNTnick_Frisbee.jpg

I'm no expert or overmold fanboi, but I would think it'd be challenging for MVP to produce an overmold like a polecat because the rim is too thin to create an adequate tongue and groove. Innova seems more likely to produce one because of the compass points.

I'm no expert or overmold fanboi, but I would think it'd be challenging for MVP to produce an overmold like a polecat because the rim is too thin to create an adequate tongue and groove. Innova seems more likely to produce one because of the compass points.

MVP doesn't do tongue and groove anymore.

aim and asc, just curious do you guys work for MVP?
u seem very sensitive.
No I don't work for MVP, just bustin your chops. When you make it seem like they need you to take them serious I'm gonna rip on you. All part of the fun.

PS. If buying all their molds and only throwing their plastic counts as working for them.... Then maybe I do, ha! Only a customer.

Oh my goodness, a company in America focused on money? I've got some news for you. Every disc company's motivated by making money. They may also love the game, but they're not in the business of selling discs to lose money. If anything, making molds to satisfy the large majority of their customers/grab new customers instead of the products their long time supporters are crying for makes them the exact opposite of what you're claiming.

They have their own business plan (money), and they're executing it well enough to grow like a weed. It seems like they're fine with losing an in4d or nolan (long time supporters) by not releasing certain molds in a different plastic or releasing a new baseline plastic because they'll get ten new customers with the next driver release. Loyalty or money? Looks like money wins.

That in no way gives MVP a bad name. That makes them smart businessmen who are worried about ensuring their future is bright. There's nothing wrong with that.

Not true. For some companies making money is a side affect of doing what they love. I'm not saying making money isn't a motivation. I'm saying it's not the primary motivation for some companies. Just listen to Dave Dunapace talk about his products. He believes in them. It's not about the money. He loves creating new discs, playing with designs, figuring out what works best and then trying to make that better. He's been doing that since before they really had competition because it's what he loves, and he considers himself lucky enough to also be able to make money at it.

Compare that to a company that is all about the profits and you get an entirely different product. You get good enough to sell well while keeping costs and quality down. You get cheap parts in your car for decades because those foreign cars are too expensive and you can keep your monopoly. That is until people see that Toyota believes in quality over the highest profit margins and suddenly makes you obsolete and you're playing catch up.

People believe in products when the company believes in the products. People don't buy products when they perceive they are just about the money and don't care what is being pushed out. That's part of why some people on here have stopped buying Innova, their perception of the company has become all about the profits, which can't be further from the truth.

MVP might be able to move the joining area higher. Something like this, with overmold going up onto the flight plate-
picture.php

Just a thought.

^Hell yeah, put a thumbtrac on there if you have to, just do whatever it takes MVP!

Not true. For some companies making money is a side affect of doing what they love. I'm not saying making money isn't a motivation. I'm saying it's not the primary motivation for some companies. Just listen to Dave Dunapace talk about his products. He believes in them. It's not about the money. He loves creating new discs, playing with designs, figuring out what works best and then trying to make that better. He's been doing that since before they really had competition because it's what he loves, and he considers himself lucky enough to also be able to make money at it.

Compare that to a company that is all about the profits and you get an entirely different product. You get good enough to sell well while keeping costs and quality down. You get cheap parts in your car for decades because those foreign cars are too expensive and you can keep your monopoly. That is until people see that Toyota believes in quality over the highest profit margins and suddenly makes you obsolete and you're playing catch up.

People believe in products when the company believes in the products. People don't buy products when they perceive they are just about the money and don't care what is being pushed out. That's part of why some people on here have stopped buying Innova, their perception of the company has become all about the profits, which can't be further from the truth.

Apparently you're unfamiliar with all the legal threats and actions Innova's made over the years towards its competitors, not to mention all the money they got from their competitors for the beveled-edge disc patent. Why didn't they open up their patent to help advance the sport they love like Elon Musk just did for electric cars? Love of the game, huh? :rolleyes:

Toyota's vehicles have quality products because that's their business model. They developed that reputation, and people pay extra for that perceived quality. Do you think they moved some manufacturing to the US to help out their consumers, or to improve their image for those who didn't like that 100% of their money was going back to Japan? Do you think they partnered with Hyundai and shared engine tech because they love helping their competitors? That made them an enormous amount of money. What about Toyota becoming the largest automotive manufacturer and suddenly having quality issues? How long did it take for them to recognize their throttle sticking issue? They knew about it. It was just cheaper to ignore it than to recall the vehicles. Sounds like they're pretty worried about their bottom line to me.

What about Ford buying Volvo? Partnering with Mazda? Both of those choices were to keep them competitive in an increasingly tough market. They improved as a company taking tech from Volvo, devalued the quality of that brand, and sold them after they got what they wanted. If you think they were in it because they loved providing quality vehicles, how do you explain the 70s, 80s, and 90s?

Any business, no matter the scale on which they operate, is worried about their bottom line. It doesn't make them evil, it makes them smart.

Not gyro compatible? Do they not have a rim? Do they not spin?

The Nova flies very neutral, but it's still a beveled-edged mold.

My thought is that gyro might decrease the "lid-like" flight. It seems to me that the gyro makes discs slightly faster, and a little less glidey.

Put me in the "couldn't care less about lid-likes" category. Seems like the ultimate niche market, like MG owners, heh. But seriously, I don't feel the need for my golf game, and I'm not a guy that needs the "entire product line" fix, so I likely would never buy one.

Hating on all the speed 7 options is fine, it's an easy troll, just keep in mind that they can make the entire class of discs with one core i.e. mold (I think.) I'd imagine that's a lot easier than an entirely new core class.

Of course the bottom line matters, but let's be real...anyone with a lazer-like focus on bottom lines isn't going into the DG manufacture market in the first place. Not exactly the California Gold Rush of the new millenium.

Oh yeah...base plastic, schmase schmastic, I say. I just don't care. If I want to throw a disc that'll fly more US each time I throw it, I'll just go back to DX Rocs.

Nope. I don't use lids, and never will. (Although I did test out some Rattlers, and they were cool, I didn't bag that mold)

IMO, there are other mold designs they should pursue before lids.

Didn't you bag a Zepplin at one point?

Didn't you bag a Zepplin at one point?

You will incur the wrath of the lid dudes if you call the Zeppelin a lid.

I love that disc, but it has a beveled edge. As I posted in this thread, a MVP Zepp would be the bees knees.