• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

(yet another) "Which midrange for me?" thread.

Codester1011

Par Member
So I've recently started to gain a better appreciation for mid-ranges. I love my Fuse(s) and have recently acquired a comet. I'm trying to decide on a "work horse" mid. I'm considering the roc, buzzz, and the warship. I love the glide on the fuse and comet and I've heard that the warship is like a roc with more glide.

Pretty much I'm wondering what the pros vs cons of of these three are.

Just for reference, I can get my comets and fuses out to 330ish feet and a wraith to around 430' on a good throw.

Thanks for the help!

Roc (in DX) for a rotation that covers almost all of your shots...pairs well with Comets, and even Fuses

Buzzz in different plastics and stages of wear for a range of shots. It's more of a line-holding mid, whereas a Roc is a line-shaping mid. They pair well with Fuses and Comets too.

Warships are a fast mid with tons of glide. It seems to be more of a line-holding mid. It's lack of base plastics makes it hard to have this as a single mold to cover your shots...but it's a really fun disc! I almost put them in my bag.

Hope that helps. It's not much, but I would say buy 1 of each and play a few 3-man rounds to see which works better for you. Keep in mind they will each change over time...but you probably know that.

Buzzz flies a bit more like a driver than a traditional mid, it enjoys speed and changes it's behavior quite a bit when thrown harder and softer. Not a pro or a con, just an observation.

You don't get Warships in base plastic over there? It's a magnificent disc in baseline. Anyway, the Warship is a great mid if you like discs that hold their lines, if I weren't throwing the MD2 I'd probably throw the Warship. On that note, MD2 is also a contender, and I've ranted on about them incessantly.

Roc is easily the most versatile of the three, in different stages of wear and different plastics. A Roc and Comet/Fuse combo could easily handle all your mid needs.

Though the Roc pairs nicely with it, the Comet in various plastics is good enough and stable enough to be a workhorse midrange.

If you want something that feels more like a comet, get a roc. If you want something that feels more like a fuse, get a warship or buzzz.

Thanks! I'll probably end up buying one of each (and maybe a MD2 as well) till I figure out which feels best.

Codester101 said:
Thanks! I'll probably end up buying one of each (and maybe a MD2 as well) till I figure out which feels best.
Word of warning with the MD2: The really domey ones tend to slow down quicker than other MD2s and due to that they lose some distance and often start fading a bit earlier. If you can manage to find flat and gummy (they're usually opaque too) C-MD2s, those are the very best ones. Not that the others are bad, but those are just the best.

I'm kind of in the same place as the OP. Loving my Fuse and opto Core(not flat, those are awful), but seems like I need something a bit more stable than cores. (pain is in the bag, but too overstable for a workhorse..) I don't get along with rocs, the bead seems to bother me. I Love Latitude (and Westside) Plastic and something as long as the core but a bit more stable is what I'm looking for.

Soooo. Z-Buzz, C-MD2(Flat of course), or Vip Warship? Especially the MD2 interests me but it would be a PITA to always look for flat ones. Best would be if someone could list them in order of stability and also distance.

Truth be told the Premium MIDARi might also fit there well, and that plastic is absolutely fantastic, so the number of choices went up. =)

The new Ace Race disc seemed to be great for this sort of thing too, really liked that one.

Msarimaa said:
I'm kind of in the same place as the OP. Loving my Fuse and opto Core(not flat, those are awful), but seems like I need something a bit more stable than cores. (pain is in the bag, but too overstable for a workhorse..) I don't get along with rocs, the bead seems to bother me. I Love Latitude (and Westside) Plastic and something as long as the core but a bit more stable is what I'm looking for.

Soooo. Z-Buzz, C-MD2(Flat of course), or Vip Warship? Especially the MD2 interests me but it would be a PITA to always look for flat ones. Best would be if someone could list them in order of stability and also distance.

Warship isn't stable enough, it's very comety in its stability, whiff of headwind and it's turning and gliding to wrong direction. Even though I love the z-buzzz, out of those three I'd search for the flat MD2s as I think they're even better.

Stability order is C-MD2, Z-buzzz, Warship. Distance is multifaceted, but I'd say warship is the easiest to get far out of those three, none of them are short, but the warship ain't stable enough to be a workhorse mid on windy days.

The only ones easily avalable in Finland would be Z Buzzzes and Premium Midaris. If you get a Buzzz and like the feel but encounter trouble with flipping in headwinds most Glo Z Buzzzes are more HSS and LSS than Z. Ti Buzzz is on par with the overstable Glo Z Buzzzes but the plastic is harder and slicker with rough raised lettering for improved grip that helps a lot. Midari has only other discs to go to if it doesn't work Buzzzes have beefier versions available. And if the Ti isn't enough (can't imagine why unless form is lacking) Wasp is a Buzzz with bead and very beefy wind beater in Z.

And DC just announced on FB that Ti Wasps, among other things, are on their way to stores, finally.

I would think the Ti wasp may be a good pair with the comet. Speculation of course, but that's assuming they are a tick more overstable than the Zs - which pair up with them fairly well IMO.

victorb said:
I would think the Ti wasp may be a good pair with the comet. Speculation of course, but that's assuming they are a tick more overstable than the Zs - which pair up with them fairly well IMO.

At least the early Ti Wasps were said to be like the early Z-wasps, ie more stable than current Z-runs. Not having thrown a wasp ever though I cannot do anything but speculate.

JR said:
And if the Ti isn't enough (can't imagine why unless form is lacking) Wasp is a Buzzz with bead and very beefy wind beater in Z.
Depends on the Ti Buzzz, mine was understable out of the box. Not quite Supercolor Buzzz but nothing like a properly stable Z either.

My vote is for an Obex. They are straight, slightly overstable, are super durable, and basically just do everything you'd want a mid to do. I know that wasn't one of your original choices, but I think they are similar enough, and better enough, to a Roc to mention them.

jubuttib said:
JR said:
And if the Ti isn't enough (can't imagine why unless form is lacking) Wasp is a Buzzz with bead and very beefy wind beater in Z.
Depends on the Ti Buzzz, mine was understable out of the box. Not quite Supercolor Buzzz but nothing like a properly stable Z either.

I saw 4 Ti Buzzzes at the store and only one had less concavity of the wing and a lower shoulder than Zs. The three others were like Zs in shape and i got one of those.

Obex is straight only for a while the fade is pretty pronounced when powered down or thrown high. It seems shorter than my R-Pro Roc on a tee with no run up space. It seemed to max out at 10' less than Rocs in field practice with a full run up. At 300' Obex fades around 20-26' depending on height.

Thanks for the info!
Seems like I will try either the Buzz or the flat C-MD2. Because the flat MD2s seem rare here I might go the Z-Buzz route, anyone try to convince me othervise?

Msarimaa said:
Thanks for the info!
Seems like I will try either the Buzz or the flat C-MD2. Because the flat MD2s seem rare here I might go the Z-Buzz route, anyone try to convince me othervise?
Get them if you can find them, otherwise go with Buzzzes.