• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your most recent provisional?

Sidewinder, do you seriously suggest that if the Rules Committee intended that there was multiple options on how to proceed after a misplay, they wouldn't have made it clear, like they do with the two or three options after going OB?

I assume that you are a lawyer, but most players are not, and you shouldn't have to know Suppreme Court rulings to read the rules of disc golf. Please let go of that straw that you are grasping at.

Sidewinder, do you seriously suggest that if the Rules Committee intended that there was multiple options on how to proceed after a misplay, they wouldn't have made it clear, like they do with the two or three options after going OB?

I assume that you are a lawyer, but most players are not, and you shouldn't have to know Suppreme Court rulings to read the rules of disc golf. Please let go of that straw that you are grasping at.
The problem is that the player didn't play it out as a misplay 2 penalty, they played it out like a misplay 1 penalty and actually eventually played the hole correctly.

So you don't think it would be fair for a TD to be allowed the flexibility to assess and make a ruling on the situation? You would rather the TD just be a blind executioner?

The problem is that the player didn't play it out as a misplay 2 penalty, they played it out like a misplay 1 penalty and actually eventually played the hole correctly.

So you don't think it would be fair for a TD to be allowed the flexibility to assess and make a ruling on the situation? You would rather the TD just be a blind executioner?

No matter how many times you type the bolded, it won't make it true. He didn't play the hole correctly. He misplayed and then misplayed again trying to "correct" himself. It doesn't matter the player's intent to play it correctly. He got it wrong. Repeatedly. Two-throw penalty, at minimum.

There is no flexibility necessary. It's a cut and dried application of the rules. It is ultimately the player's responsibility to play correctly and take any penalties that come with not doing so.

No matter how many times you type the bolded, it won't make it true. He didn't play the hole correctly. He misplayed and then misplayed again trying to "correct" himself. It doesn't matter the player's intent to play it correctly. He got it wrong. Repeatedly. Two-throw penalty, at minimum.

There is no flexibility necessary. It's a cut and dried application of the rules. It is ultimately the player's responsibility to play correctly and take any penalties that come with not doing so.
How can you misplay a misplay? The player continued a misplay, but didn't continue the misplay to holing out.

My thought is this: After the first misplay with multiple throws after the misplay, the +2 is applied. If there is a subsequent misplay, it's a different offense. Take this example:

Two players screw up the same hole (let's assume different cards to make it more plausible).

Tee shot goes OB with mandatory DZ. Players both play last place in bounds, throw another after that and then realize the misplay.
Player A panics, goes to the drop zone, continues play from there.
Player B gets out his rule book and continues play from his last throw.

Player A has now violated the misplay rule
Player B has not.

Under your interpretation both should be treated the same even though A has thrown incorrectly from two different lies, while player B has only the single misplay.

Probably a good question for the RC.

I understand and don't want to pile on what is probably a bad day, but I don't think that once a player has a misplay on a hole that it absolves him from playing the rest of the hole properly.
For example:
Tee shot goes OB (mandatory DZ)
throw from last place in bounds
throw again.
Putts out from another player's disc.

Why shouldn't the second misplay here not be penalized just because he screwed up earlier on the hole?

btw I did send an email to the RC querying about these topics.

I sent both of these to the RC. The response I received is that the misplay happened on different throws and each misplay should be penalized separately.

If you are still on a hole and have not putted out, that is a current scenario. It doesn't state in the rules that you can not take back to back Optional Re-throws as in this scenario I gave and go back to the tee which is now at the time "the previous lie" from the first Optional Re-throw:

Clarified scenario:
1. Player tees into thick rough, not OB.
2. Player throws again further into rough, not OB.
3. Player elects to take Optional Re-throw from previous the lie in 1st rough. Does not throw.
4. Player elects to take Optional Re-throw from previous the lie at tee.
5. Player throws from tee.
6. Player makes putt.
RC said:
A reasonable argument can be made that since you're now throwing from there, it's your current lie, and you can again elect to use Optional Re-throw (for one more penalty throw). That's not something that occurred to us when we wrote the rule.
:popcorn:

While a player may officially make more than one misplay on a hole, it's typically been adjudicated by the Tour Director and marshals as a single misplay, i.e., 2 throws added to the number of actual throws made (excluding provisionals) plus any throwing penalties like OB, 2m or missed mandos.