• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Infinite Discs Pharaoh

I thought it was common knowledge that the Pharaoh is a variation of a Shryke. First person I knew who had one a couple years ago said it was basically a Shryke and we've been operating under that assumption ever since.

A lot of my better successes with distance drivers have come out of flattish discs (ballista pros, destinies, thrashers, enigmas), but yeah I haven't had good success with very flat Shrykes.

A lot of my better successes with distance drivers have come out of flattish discs (ballista pros, destinies, thrashers, enigmas), but yeah I haven't had good success with very flat Shrykes.

My main problem with flat max distance drivers is that they don't tend to glide well, and they fade hard and prematurely. That leads to distance loss.

They can still fly good looking lines, but you won't get the distance you're capable of.

I always look for a good dome when choosing a max distance disc.

I can see a large dome impacting glide considerably enough for max distance lines where you throw high into the air for sweeping turnovers, but for general golf shots, I haven't found much of an impact with large domes. There's a tradeoff with dome vs flatness. Flat discs tend to penetrate better and fly through the air faster, while domey discs fly a little slower and clunkier. I like the better penetrating disc for most golf shots (not to mention I generally prefer the feel of flatter discs.)

Last edited:
This is fascinating, and should be it's own thread. Is there any official PGDA resource about this process?

Edit: here is the PGDA form for disc approval:
https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/disc-certification-request

Well there are ASTM standards for this sort of process, and the PDGA standard falls pretty short. The only PDGA measurements requiring consistency between measurements are outside diameter and rim configuration. None of them indicate that more than one specimen should be observed. There is also remarkably little discussion in this document about instrument tolerance.

I would hope that the manufacturers themselves have internal specifications and QC that require hitting PDGA approved specs to mm tolerance but there sure is a lot of variation on the shelves these days.

The document also states:

The PDGA may test any disc at its own expense at any time to determine if an approved
product continues to meet all PDGA standards.

But I seriously wonder if they have any incentive to do spot checks to check conformance with approved measurments.

I can see a large dome impacting glide considerably enough for max distance lines where you throw high into the air for sweeping turnovers, but for general golf shots, I haven't found much of an impact with large domes. There's a tradeoff with dome vs flatness. Flat discs tend to penetrate better and fly through the air faster, while domey discs fly a little slower and clunkier. I like the better penetrating disc for most golf shots (not to mention I generally prefer the feel of flatter discs.)

Yeah when I could throw hard, all I wanted was a reliable projectile. Flat, fast, stable. Now that I've slowed down, I want discs that will glide as much as possible. I've started revisiting the discs I retired because they were too beat. Man those old FBs cruise at moderate speed after a few seasons.

But back to the present discussion: the stable domey shrykes (those that i've found are pretty much limited to the glow champion SH and some pharoahs) are good for some trusty d.

Hear the Falcon also fills this slot -- from what I understand, it's a destroyer top and a shryke wing. I haven't thrown one yet but but looks like Philo's been hitting lines with it: https://youtu.be/pEYYKRyAgmg?t=2371

As for the Pharaoh, I just got an S line of unknown weight. I'll throw it one of these days and see how it compares to the glow champion Pharaoh I threw prior. So far, the mold doesn't impress me, but I've only thrown 1 to this point.
Throw them with your Shrykes.

Threw the Pharaoh a bit this weekend and I think it's pretty darn close to a Shryke. If I threw it hard and flat it went about 380-410 with a decent amount of turn and a late, somewhat hard fade.

Mine doesn't glide as well as the first run Shryke I had I don't think but it could be the flight shape fooling me. Will have to throw them side by side for more info.

Threw the Pharaoh a bit this weekend and I think it's pretty darn close to a Shryke. If I threw it hard and flat it went about 380-410 with a decent amount of turn and a late, somewhat hard fade.

Mine doesn't glide as well as the first run Shryke I had I don't think but it could be the flight shape fooling me. Will have to throw them side by side for more info.

Glide increases and fade decreases over time (based on my experience of 1 Pharaoah). But I have another arriving today, so we'll see.

The new splatter S swirly Pharaoah came in. It does not have the pop top dome of my other one, an x-out. Sweet multi foil stamp though. PLH is same, wing is the same. Windy, freezing and snowing right now, so I can't throw. It was 40 degrees and sunny, calm yesterday...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0179D679-2EFE-4DE1-8E9B-ADD2E00BFE5F.jpg
    0179D679-2EFE-4DE1-8E9B-ADD2E00BFE5F.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 2EEDE9DA-E56C-4EE6-ADBC-B463DDD2A2A5.jpg
    2EEDE9DA-E56C-4EE6-ADBC-B463DDD2A2A5.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 0CA98E0E-B427-458E-9CB3-7989114121AD.jpg
    0CA98E0E-B427-458E-9CB3-7989114121AD.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 144
I felt up a Shryke and Corvette today at the store. I kinda think the Pharaoah is more like the Corvette than the Shryke. But I haven't thrown either of the Innova molds.

I did what I had threatened to do and made a comparison video between the Shryke and the pharaoh.

Hope anyone finds it helpful!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=86iRqiy2NAo

Decent vid. I've thrown 2 Pharaohs and probably 30 Shrykes (star, G*, champion).

Everything I've said before about the two molds still applies.

I find the Pharaoh to be beefier, have less glide, and a harder late fade than the Shryke. That leads to the Pharaoh being shorter, sometimes significantly so.

If I were going for sheer distance I'd take the Shryke every time over the Pharaoh. Shryke is definitely touchier, and will flex out on crazier S curve lines. The Pharaoh works better for situations when the wind is blowing. Shrykes tend to get beat up pretty bad by wind.

FWIW, I can throw backhand regularly 450'. Sometimes further if I'm feeling it.

If I made a list of my 10 longest molds, the Shryke would be on it. The Pharaoh wouldn't.

Decent vid. I've thrown 2 Pharaohs and probably 30 Shrykes (star, G*, champion).

Everything I've said before about the two molds still applies.

I find the Pharaoh to be beefier, have less glide, and a harder late fade than the Shryke. That leads to the Pharaoh being shorter, sometimes significantly so.

If I were going for sheer distance I'd take the Shryke every time over the Pharaoh. Shryke is definitely touchier, and will flex out on crazier S curve lines. The Pharaoh works better for situations when the wind is blowing. Shrykes tend to get beat up pretty bad by wind.

FWIW, I can throw backhand regularly 450'. Sometimes further if I'm feeling it.

If I made a list of my 10 longest molds, the Shryke would be on it. The Pharaoh wouldn't.

The wind was definitely a factor, that could have helped the Pharaoh since they seem to be a little more HSS.

Like I mentioned my BH is a work in progress. Getting the Pharaoh up to 425 was a good pull for me. I can get up to 450 usually with the Kahu but my top that I have measured on flat ground is only 467. Forehand I can throw 450+ on command, but I wouldn't use this style of disc forehand.

Thanks for watching and adding your experienced opinion!

Since a few of you guys have watched the video, can you give me an opinion on camera angle?

On this one and many others I use a tripod mounted at about 5ft, which gives a good look at the release and if it doesn't go too high, it's easy to follow. On a couple of videos I tried putting the tripod on top of my car so that it's 10 or 11 ft off the ground, which lets you see the full flight better, but it's hard to gather anything about the release and initial tracking.

What is more beneficial to you guys?
I'm still learning

Since a few of you guys have watched the video, can you give me an opinion on camera angle?

On this one and many others I use a tripod mounted at about 5ft, which gives a good look at the release and if it doesn't go too high, it's easy to follow. On a couple of videos I tried putting the tripod on top of my car so that it's 10 or 11 ft off the ground, which lets you see the full flight better, but it's hard to gather anything about the release and initial tracking.

What is more beneficial to you guys?
I'm still learning

If you are reasonably confident where the discs will land, zoom in - make sure the camera catches at least a glimpse of release angle, and has enough definition to see the disc land. Also, why didn't you demo FH since that's your main throw?

If you are reasonably confident where the discs will land, zoom in - make sure the camera catches at least a glimpse of release angle, and has enough definition to see the disc land. Also, why didn't you demo FH since that's your main throw?

I'm still learning how to do zoom in post, and it can get pretty pixilated, that is definitely something I will work on. Keep in mind on most of my videos I don't have a camera operator so it's a single fixed cam most of the time.

That a great call out though and I will try and do that. Also learning how to do follow flight lines.

As for why I didn't add the forehand, it wasn't worth seeing. I was having to throw 50% power hyzerflips to keep them in the air. If I threw a flat shot with any power they all rolled and it wasn't very entertaining to watch.

I'm still learning how to do zoom in post, and it can get pretty pixilated, that is definitely something I will work on. Keep in mind on most of my videos I don't have a camera operator so it's a single fixed cam most of the time.

That a great call out though and I will try and do that. Also learning how to do follow flight lines.

As for why I didn't add the forehand, it wasn't worth seeing. I was having to throw 50% power hyzerflips to keep them in the air. If I threw a flat shot with any power they all rolled and it wasn't very entertaining to watch.

A-ha, I wondered why they didn't turn much.

Latest posts