• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1 Disc throwers Vs those carrying the bag

I have a friend who normally carries a bag with about 7-8 discs. If and when he buys a new disc, he will leave his bag in the car and only plays with the new disc for an entire round. His reasoning is this: "How do you know what a disc can do unless you put it through its' paces?" He's turned into a pretty creative shot maker because of this.

Surprisingly, his score with one disc is not much higher than with the full bag.

As far as the one disc "wonders" I run into to, the most common question I get is when they see my bag with quad shocks and 15-20 discs is, "What are you, some kind of pro?" My standard answer, "Far from it!" LOL

Woodpecker

Naw... I played baseball and can hit 250-300 but no way 400. That is killer long.

ditto. I'm pretty confident in my thumbers but I don't think I've ever broken 300 without a little roll at the end. But it can be a very accurate throw for me.

I'm a bit of a minimalist, but I carry seven discs. Two drivers, two understable discs (forehand or backhand opposite turns) , two mid-range (Roc and Shark), and one putter. I think anyone claiming that one or two discs can get the job done on a good course is better than me (most), but I think they are limiting themselves needlessly.

I throw LHBH for most drives, and since most of the world is right-handed, lots of fairways turn left to accommodate the right-handed driver (okay lots of fairways encompass lots of different turns, but for the most part course designers consider rhbh drivers). When I need a disc to keep turning and resist the fade, I drive a Stingray. When I throw it with enough spin, it will turn for the life of the throw - hardly any fade at all. It replaces a forehand throw for me, and since I can't throw forehand, I really appreciate it.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from Geoffro, I carry 23 in my "tournament" bag at all times, that is the bag that I use for competition. So, I do have several in it that I rarely use at all on the courses that I normally play, but get out on other courses that I play only a few times a year and use it constantly. For example this past Saturday I played a course to get some practice in for next week's tourney, it was windy, and had a lot of long holes, so I needed more stable discs than I normally throw.

I have a friend who normally carries a bag with about 7-8 discs. If and when he buys a new disc, he will leave his bag in the car and only plays with the new disc for an entire round. His reasoning is this: "How do you know what a disc can do unless you put it through its' paces?" He's turned into a pretty creative shot maker because of this.

Surprisingly, his score with one disc is not much higher than with the full bag.

I am in the same category as your friend....except perhaps not such a creative shot maker. I frequently practice with just one disc, or one driver and one putter, to discover everything that disc can do. So I'm sometimes a one-discer on the course with a trunkload of discs in the parking lot.

(I did just move up to a larger bag with quad shocks, mainly for tournaments so I can carry more accessories, and spare discs for water courses).

But I also remember in the mid-90s, when we owned with 1-3 discs and the bag-toters were anomolies. We thought they looked silly, and were taking it all way to seriously. A good portion of today's single-discers will be carrying disc golf luggage tomorrow, as part of the sport's growth.

Last edited:
i run into the occasional person that throws one disc. i think you can read a lot just by looking at what disc they choose. one guy that occasionally tags along with a friend of ours always has some new driver. and if he's having a bad round he'll go out and buy a different new driver. he's all about distance. then there's a guy that works with a friend. all he ever brings is his beat up Shark. he is a challenge to play with.

i will sometimes take just one disc. either to learn it or just to play an easy round where i don't have to carry much. i can go either way.

Bags I can understand.

I have seen people with disc golf push carts. Anyone else seen this?

MIDWINTER2007019.jpg

DG is such a body involved sport, if you are too unhealthy to carry a 10 pound bag how can you throw a disc 50-60 times?

Bags I can understand.

I have seen people with disc golf push carts. Anyone else seen this?

DG is such a body involved sport, if you are too unhealthy to carry a 10 pound bag how can you throw a disc 50-60 times?

I don't have one, but have no problem with it. My arm can get a bit sore after 2 rounds and a sore arm could add one or two strokes to a game. in a tournament that can make a difference.

1 discers make fun of 3 discers
3 discers make fun of bag carriers
bag carriers make fun of tourney bag carriers
tourney bag carriers make fun of cart pushers...

I have a small bag and a big bag and once every 2 weeks play a round or 2 with only a putter.

To each his own...

I think those carts are cool. With my back the way it is, I'll be pushing one of those babies before too long.

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/go-cart-p-1689.html

^I like this one a lot what with the built in seat, but the price is too steep for me.

I never thought ill of baggers but my friends started questioning me when I went from 1 to 3 discs and thought I was out of my mind for buying a starter bag and filling it with 8 discs. Then over time they became frustrated with how limited their shot options were and began eyeing my bag with a bit of jealousy. Now that I have my medium sized bag one friend that previously scoffed at my starter bag jumped at the chance to buy it off me. The only guy I know that still has only 2 discs and is happy with it doesn't think about playing at all. He just likes hanging out outdoors and having friendly competitions. If thats why you're out disc golfing than I can see no reason to need more.

I've played a few club mini's since I started last August. One guy, who I don't know very well, shows up with what seems like a different cart or apparatus for carrying discs every time I've seen him. He normally has about 50-60 discs with him so a shoulder bag is out of the question.

He's always showing off what he's invented or customized before the tourney and a lot of times, he gathers a pretty good crowd. Some of the things he does are cool and some are just plain weird.

Next time I see him, I'll try to get a picture of him and post it.

Talk about lazy man's disc golf! How about fixing one of these up to carry discs? http://www.bagboycompany.com/p-13-navigator-2.aspx

Looks like to darn thing just follows you around. LOL

Woodpecker

I've taken a bit of good-natured ribbing from my father-in-law and brother-in-law for carrying a bag of discs. I only carry twelve, but I will usually play most depending on the particulars of the course. AsI reach in to my bag for a disc, they will say things like 'Hmm. 350 feet with trees on the left. Looks like a hole for a red disc!" Of course I out-drive them both since they only carry two overstable drivers and a putter. When I make that big turn on one shot and make the big fade on the other, it makes the bag worth it. When I turnover a shot through a wooded area and I hear people say things like "Is that disc radio controlled?" It really makes it worth it. I have seen really great players go throw with a single disc. It can be great practice. It can also help snap you out of a rough patch of throwing if you are struggling with all of your normal discs. To each their own.

I like carrying a bag, because I like having a support system, as well as more than a few discs. Extras in my bag include:

Pain Medicine:for headaches and other pains

Pep-to Bismol: For those time your stomach dosen't feel well, or to delay the taking of a #2 till you get off the course

A Soft Ball : for getting down discs that are stuck in a tree

Pens and Markers: for writing down info and marking discs in case of an Ace

Pony tail bands: I have long hair, and sometimes my ponytail holders my break. gotta have back ups

Score cards and mini clip board: for keeping score and a record of the round.

Pencils: for keeping scores

Two small towels. One for me, and one to clean mud and junk off the discs.

First Aid Kit: You just never know. I have cut my self a few times . Nice to have band-aids with you.

Throw away discs: Nice to have a trash discs for those holes that you might loose a disc in a hazard.

When I go out to play disc golf, I am going out to do battle, and I like to have a kit of things to back me up. For me, playing with out a bag would be like Batman going out with out his "Utility Belt". I just can't seen it happening. I would feel lost.

I usually play with a bag, but when I'm travelling I don't like lugging a bunch of discs around with me so I'll generally just throw three discs in my suitcase in case I get the opportunity to play. I always try to grab a group to play with at a new course so they can show me around, and usually they all have bags. Seeing me with three discs and no idea where to go they assume I'm a complete noob. I just love the look on their faces when I outdrive all of them off of the first tee, its priceless.

Arrows in the quiver

I too, when I first started, thought the guys carrying 15-20 discs were un-athletic tools. I played baseball and basketball in high school, so throwing or shooting something at different distances was a concept I was familiar with and could do quite well. Just take a little off of it or rip it as hard as you can. When I began I did go with a driver and a used putter. This setup did very well for me, as I would just adjust my shots and I knew my discs very well.

The more I played though and the more I read online and looked at the Innova site, the more discs I wanted (like any gear-head in any sport). So I added a Leopard and most recently a Roc. Now I can have a bit more consistent arm speed across different distance ranges, however I still need to apply "touch". However this "touch" can rely more-so on disc performance rather than muscle memory (assuming I have the muscle memory for a "standard" throw across the four discs). That said, at four discs, I feel like I am starting to become a "master of none". But, with all those pretty discs out there to try and buy, I see my disc collection possibly always equaling n+1 or at least having duplicates of the same model. By the way, I use a small messenger-like bag from Target. It could probably hold about 6-8 discs, keys, wallet, cell, scorecard, pencil, and 2 PBRs. So I guess I have no prob with bag people anymore (or fathers pushing the babies in their disc golf roller bag ... er... stroller). :D

1 discers make fun of 3 discers
3 discers make fun of bag carriers
bag carriers make fun of tourney bag carriers
tourney bag carriers make fun of cart pushers...

I go with a bag and 12-15 discs, water bottles, towel, car keys, phone, a sandwich., mini. I don't mind picking up my bag 120 times over the course of a couple rounds. Place the mini, pick up my disc. Return disc to bag. Look at the upcoming shot. Bend over to pick the disc I want to throw out of my bag. Make the throw. Pick up the mini. Pick up the bag. So, yeah I am bending 500 times over 36 holes. I don't think thats lame, actually all that exercise keeps me from being lame. 500 knee bends or toe touches is not something I'm gonna do at home.

Biker, I like the Batman utility belt analogy. I just want to know where he keeps all those cool gadgets. If I followed that logic I could fit 10-12 discs in my wallet.

I'll also admit that when I first started playing I thought the guys with the bags and tons of discs were just dumb old guys :)p) but I'm sure they were the ones laughing at me throwing a dx valk haha. About a year later I finally got more involved in the sport and got a mid and a putter and carried all three with me. Now I have 8 discs that work for what I need and all good plastic and whatnot but still don't have a bag. Most of the time I'm playing with friends who are new and only have one disc or who use one of mine so I ten to just grab a shark or roc and play through with jsut the one disc.

I've grown out of my ignorance on the bag issue and now fear the old dudes rocking the bags! Haha not quite but I respect it because they know what they're doing. ...and I'll finally get a bag next time I order a few discs from GGGT since there's a pretty steep discount buying a bag with disc packs and I'm just one of them broke college kids

Latest posts