• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

10 yr OLD SON (ADVICE NEEDED)

I would say a nice light weight leopard, shark, and an aviar for a putter. my son who is 4 loves his shark it's a 135 and he can chuck that thing. he also has 150 hand me down leopards in his bag.

Only reason I would pick the Archangel over the Leopard is that the Archangel is a little more sensitive to nose angel. It would be good to reinforce good habits.

Don't get me wrong. Either would be great.

My daughter started throwing at 11 & she really likes her Buzzz lite and 150 ESP Flick (forehand) For a putter I got her the RW Pro Aviar, she really likes that its flexy/tacky & we play catch with that one.

This thread filled up quickly, but thought I'd add my experience: everything Olorin said. :)

Specifically, teach him a forehand, and go with light discs. My daughter just turned 10 and can get a lightweight disc out about 130ft at her best. Usually it's closer to 80ft. Backhand she's probably 60-80 max. Also, I got her a 160ish Magnet putter as she was having trouble near the basket with a super light Polecat, and that's helped her so too.

Discgolfcenter.com is good for searching for light discs.

EDIT: Forgot to mention she loves her lightweight Kite. It glides forever for her. Never known anyone else to love a Kite. :) She also loves her Shark.

Only reason I would pick the Archangel over the Leopard is that the Archangel is a little more sensitive to nose angel. It would be good to reinforce good habits.

Don't get me wrong. Either would be great.

Yeah, but isnt an Archangel a speed 8? I think it might be a good cheap disc for someone just cracking out of the Teebird area to learn nose angles.

Thanks for all the advice, I halfway expected to only get a couple maybe 5 replies, but this is really great. All of you have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I am still fairly new to dg myself, so I wouldn't ever really know where to begin with advise for him, I only try to explain things that I figured out the hardway, basically throw what you can consistently before buying the newer latest greatest thing.

Anyway, thanks again everyone, I will certainly put your advice in motion and will even post an update, or have him create a log in to post the update as to how it all turned out.

IT'S NOT FAIR!!!

Why didn't anybody buy us discs when we were 10?????

Why'd we have to learn from scratch as adults????

Anyway, one thing to keep in mind is that a 10-year-old who plays much, will progress incredibly rapidly. Keep it simple. His go-to driver today will be a has-been by summer.

IT'S NOT FAIR!!!

Why didn't anybody buy us discs when we were 10?????

Why'd we have to learn from scratch as adults????

Anyway, one thing to keep in mind is that a 10-year-old who plays much, will progress incredibly rapidly. Keep it simple. His go-to driver today will be a has-been by summer.

You are so correct, heck at 10 the only un organized games we played was kick the can or king of the mountain, we never even heard of disc golf.

I will surely keep that in mind about the rapid improvemnt on youngsters.

Thanks

Yeah, but isnt an Archangel a speed 8? I think it might be a good cheap disc for someone just cracking out of the Teebird area to learn nose angles.
This is an area of debate in my mind. Although, given my maximum distance, I'm not supposed to throw the new-fangled sharp-nosed drivers but I have to argue that throwing them in the field has helped me control angle.

Maybe too much to worry about for a 10-year old. =)

This is an area of debate in my mind. Although, given my maximum distance, I'm not supposed to throw the new-fangled sharp-nosed drivers but I have to argue that throwing them in the field has helped me control angle.

Maybe too much to worry about for a 10-year old. =)

Recently I could agree as I think fast discs hide OAT, but slower discs just might hide nose angle, but for someone throwing 125', I think they can live with unknown nose angle issues.

Get Him This One

Buzzz Lite for $4 at Gotta Go Gotta Throw. 125g version of a truly great disc.

I bet he'll like this Buzzz. It's light enough that he'll be able to throw it and it's not one of those "cheap ones" he's been complaining about.

If he's really set on getting some premium plastic, I think Innova makes Champion Leopards in the 150g range, which would also work well for him.

My son has a 150 Champion leopard that he loves he's 11. He has some other discs as well that he has found or bought with his own money. Not sure what his distance is, but he has improved a great deal in the last year. He was getting close to like 150+ towards the end of Summer.

My son started around 10 as well.

My son started playing with me right around 9 or 10 years old. He started with a DX Gremlin and a DX TeeBird. Since then he has become my disc golf partner. We play almost daily. He now consistently throws at 350 feet with a Champion Boss.
The more he plays the better he is gonna get. Take him to a shop and just let him compare his discs to some others and go from there. Soon he'll be picking his own discs and helping you with yours, lol.
Congrats on having a son who loves disc golf, it's the best way to spend father/son time!

My son started playing with me right around 9 or 10 years old. He started with a DX Gremlin and a DX TeeBird. Since then he has become my disc golf partner. We play almost daily. He now consistently throws at 350 feet with a Champion Boss.

The more he plays the better he is gonna get. Take him to a shop and just let him compare his discs to some others and go from there. Soon he'll be picking his own discs and helping you with yours, lol.
Congrats on having a son who loves disc golf, it's the best way to spend father/son time!

That distance is impressive.

This is so true, it is great, we leave out early on Saturday mornings and most times dont return till the evening. We are really enjoying that Father/Son time it is great.

Latest posts