• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] 11x Teebird vs. 12x

S.Cann

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I've got a 8/10 12x Teebird that I have been using for a few months now and I'm pretty happy with it. It's a stable go-to fairway driver, but I have recently picked up an 11x Teebird 6.5/10 and I was wondering what should I expect from it. Will it be a good back-up to my current teebird? More stable? Less stable?

Basically, I just want a few opinions from people who have used both molds. I know the 11x's are very popular...

I'm not familiar with current run champ teebirds, but my 11x is money. It's in about the same condition as you say yours is. It's dead straight with a moderately strong fade at the end, just like a teebird should be.

depends on what twelve time run you got. I would say the eleven time is more stable.....unless that one you got is beat to heck. If you don't like it send me a pic and I will trade you a 12x for it

why don't you throw it?

haha, I expected this comment from someone. I just put it in the bag today, but I wanted to get a gauge of what others experiences are and just what to expect from this run. I'm trying to avoid overlap in my bag and, at the same time, acquire backups. From the comments above, it seems like the 11x will make a good backup.

A Teebird is probably a good backup for a Teebird. You'll just have to throw it to see what the stability is like compared to your other Teebird considering they're both beat in somewhat.

This thread has given zero information so far, but it is the first thread that appears when you google 11x vs 12x Teebird.

I have had a 12x Teebird, and it was so useless that I pretty much would leave it out of the bag. The only reason I would carry it is because it was a stability somewhere between Wraith and Leopard. A LOT of discs are in that area, so it is nothing to brag about.

After getting a 11x Firebird and seeing how much better it flies than the 12x Firebirds that I have had, I figured I would order a 11x Teebird if just to find out.

Night and Day difference.

My 12x Teebird would flip over in a mild headwind, where the 11x did not, but it did not have a lot of slow stability. It really flew like a Roc.

Also, my 11x has glide that approaches my Rivers. Not quite as much, but very close.

The difference in these 2 discs are just incredible. They are the same weight, 170, and the 12x is a lot domier, where the 11x is flat, almost as flat as the 11x Firebird.

11x Teebird is an incredible disc. 12x Teebird, not so much...

My theory is that the 11x runs conform to the actual Teebird mold/spec better than the 12x runs.

So if you reviewed the printed specs for a Teebird and then studied the injection mold that was machined to the spec, the 11x's ended up correlating closely to the mold/spec whereas the 12x get a little distorted.

The 12x distortions will vary over time, but in general, the ones I have seen get a little domey and then sink back down a bit in the center of the flightplate, and the 11x have a much more even, consistent profile from the rim to the center of the disc.

I have several 11x x-outs that I throw and they seem magical on technical courses, whereas the 12x do not cut thru the air and carve as clean a line as the my 11x.

i would do damn near anything to get my 11x teebird back that i left on the last hole, UNDER the basket cuz it was so parked. went baCK 2 holes later and it was gone ;( i hope someone who knows how to throw got it

A Teebird is probably a good backup for a Teebird. You'll just have to throw it to see what the stability is like compared to your other Teebird considering they're both beat in somewhat.
There's a reason this guy has a Consultant tag next to his name.

There are good runs of 12X TeeBirds out there. Those of you dismissing any 12X as garbage are fools. It's like any other disc...you have to know what you are looking for.

There was more than one run of Champ TeeBirds during the 11X era, just like with the 12X that bring along with it flight differences as well. Not as many obviously but at least three (probably a lot more - there were a lot fewer molds out so the TeeBird sold a lot better than it does today) runs. The 11X era also saw the "magical" CAL > CA tooling change and the Distance Driver to Fairway Driver stamp change so you might want to list which tooling/stamp you have.

Last edited:
I have a champion 11x and 12x. They both fly very straight with just a little break. My 11x seems a little flatter than my 12x.

I've got a slightly domed 12x. Does anyone here disagree with my plan to flatten it via boiling water? Will it even work on champ plastic?

I was able to flatten an X-Out Champ a little as a test before doing one of my Glow Gators. It didn't flatten it nearly as drastically as it did the Gator, but I imagine it would flatten more with a couple more tries. It flies dead straight with zero fade (didn't throw it before flattening it). Definitely not like the beefy flat ones I have.

There's a reason this guy has a Consultant tag next to his name.

There are good runs of 12X TeeBirds out there. Those of you dismissing any 12X as garbage are fools. It's like any other disc...you have to know what you are looking for.

There was more than one run of Champ TeeBirds during the 11X era, just like with the 12X that bring along with it flight differences as well. Not as many obviously but at least three (probably a lot more - there were a lot fewer molds out so the TeeBird sold a lot better than it does today) runs. The 11X era also saw the "magical" CAL > CA tooling change and the Distance Driver to Fairway Driver stamp change so you might want to list which tooling/stamp you have.

Well obviously I can not speak for all 12x Teebirds, but 'my' 12x Teebird is garbage. That is no foolish talk. ;)

The 11x Teebird I have is a CAL.

I've got a slightly domed 12x. Does anyone here disagree with my plan to flatten it via boiling water? Will it even work on champ plastic?

^ How would you do that?

I would try it on my 12x to see if it makes a difference.

1. boil up some water in the microwave.
2. pour water inside the disc, lay disc bottom up first!
3. let sit til the water is cooled. this well relax the dome a little bit just like this.
4. if flatter is desired repeat 1 through 3 and set a heavy object on top, i use an empty noodle pot type.
5. let cool to room temp.
i have done this to several discs.( i was laid up for a while and gave me the excuse to fondle plastic)

Got It! :thmbup:

I took some before pics of my 12x Teebird.

I microwaved a bowl of water for 6 minutes, which really isn't quite at the boiling point yet. I set my 12x Teebird face down on my counter top, poured some of the hot water in, set 1 large book that completely covered the disc, then 2 other books on top for extra weight, and then took the bowl with the rest of the water, and put it back in the microwave for 5 more minutes. I figured the first water batch would start the disc on the process of softening up.

After the 5 minutes were up, I took off the books, poured out the warm water, and then poured in the very hot water from the microwave, replaced the books, and now I am just waiting for it to cool, which should take a while.

I am really curious if the flattening of the dome will increase both the stability and the glide of the disc.

I don't like the idea of forcing a disc to fly differently via boiling. I wish the disc just did what it is capable of naturally, but I now have a 175g 12x teebird that is nearly as flat as my 12x firebird. Success. My real question is whether or not it will hold this flatness or will it revert to the original mold shape over time?

I don't like the idea of forcing a disc to fly differently via boiling. I wish the disc just did what it is capable of naturally, but I now have a 175g 12x teebird that is nearly as flat as my 12x firebird. Success. My real question is whether or not it will hold this flatness or will it revert to the original mold shape over time?

have you thrown it?

Latest posts