• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] 125 ft. & IN 40-75% Fairway Driver

Evan27

Bogey Member
I usually use a 167g champ banshee for these shots in an open field/open from the right side. For approach, I feel most comfortable with RHBH. I'm looking for a counterpart that doesn't have to be spike-hyzered. My issue now is when there are trees/obstacles coming in from the right side, my approach usually ends up further left from the basket than I'd like, or my approach hits the trees and falls short.

I like to grip this throw with my index finger on the rim, different from the power grip I use for full-powered BH shots. Bc of this I don't like the use of mids, and I have found more reach with fairway drivers. For this throw, disc weight also plays an important factor.

I've already got a disc in mind. Just looking for other opinions.

It's a weird request. 99% of people will throw a putter or mid in that situation because they are easier to range and skip less. It will be harder to get a driver to hit and stick no matter what you pick. If you want something less stable than a Banshee but sort of similar rim width (maybe narrower), first things that come to mind are Clash, Gazelle, Zombee.

Honestly for me that's not the case. I have never been able to get a consistent release at low speeds with a normal power grip so I modified my grip to put my index finger on the rim for these type of approaches. However when I use this modified grip on mids or putters, I can't get them as far as I can with a banshee, and the banshee has been magic. So it just stuck, and rather than changing my throw I am looking for something that works for me.

I said I had a disc in mind. A champ leopard was that disc. Do you know how they throw at lower speeds in different weight classes (160 vs. 165 vs. 170 vs. 175)?

They will get flippy in lower weights. Significantly less stable than a Banshee, probably two or three steps down in stability. The ones I recommended above will be less touchy. Maybe also consider a Kaxe.

DX Banshee. Play a single one disc round with it and you should be good to go.

Same hand feel, starts out less overstable, beats in quickly to very nutral and workable (Mair more distance than a Champ too).

DX banshee will have less skip and will beat in straighter and straighter.

4tyeOVl.jpg

This for example is what a shot I'm referring to may look like. Hyzer approach is taken away. Other options are tomahawk or FH, but I would like to have a BH answer to this problem.

The backhand answer is a putter straight at it or maybe a little anhyzer flex with a Zone.

But, I know that isn't the answer you are looking for so I guess I've got nothing.

Yep. An approach with a driver will work of course, but it will always be a lot touchier and have a higher probability of skipping away. You need a very understable driver to hold a straight line at this distance. Almost any good player will throw a putter or approach disc for this shot instead.

Beat the crap out of a DX Teebird if you must.

Another thing to consider is that you don't always have to run the basket in these scenarios. Your goal is to get into easy putting range. If you land your disc near the left tree you're probably fine.

Yeah, I don't see how this shot needs a fairway driver either. I like my Roc too much not to use it for that, but really any putter should go 125 feet.

Yeah, I don't see how this shot needs a fairway driver either. I like my Roc too much not to use it for that, but really any putter should go 125 feet.

OK, w/o the close tree there, I could BH a champ banshee to tap in range. If I were to BH a mid, I am not confident I could count on anything closer than 6-10 feet, especially uphill, bc it requires more torque to go the same distance and that is less accurate. Same for a putter but that's even more unpredictable.

Note: For the record I tomahawked a viking here to within 7 feet of the basket. It landed on the top and slid up the hill

Last edited:

Latest posts