• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] 125 ft. & IN 40-75% Fairway Driver

It looks as a 80' high extreme anyhyzer banshee might put you close. other than that an easy anyhzer putter or soft putter finger pop will do the same. Its really up to you how hard you want to make this game.

Its really up to you how hard you want to make this game.

Agree.

I totally get that everyone's game is a little different and some things work for people that don't work for other people and whatnot but anything that short is almost always a putter up shot.

My wife recently started playing and was throwing a fairway driver for pretty much every shot and was often frustrated when what looked like a decent shot would skip or catch edge and roll and leave her a long putt.

She went deep on a 150' hole at the local pitch and putt. I wasn't sure what sort of distance she could get with a putter but I asked her to throw her putter and see what happened. Parked. Literally under the basket. Meanwhile I'm starting down a scary six footer for the birdie.

If I had to throw this shot, I'd throw an F2 on anny at the base of the basket and try to get within 15 feet and stuff the putt.

But I'd prefer to -

1) Forehand a Jokeri/Zone
2) Forehand a Wasp
3) Forehand an F2
4) Forehand a Valkyrie
4) Backhand a Sol
5) Backhand a Judge
6) Backhand a Roc
7) Flex a Jokeri/Zone
8) Jump putt anything on flex

...and I would debate a forehand roller with anything versus backhanding a fairway straight or left to right at that distance.

I wouldn't say it's an ability problem so much as it's just an issue of habit.

I'd encourage the OP to commit to throwing putters for this shot for three months or twenty rounds or whatever, enough to give it an honest chance. Use a normal fan grip. Try both forehand and backhand. Try your regular putting mold, and something OS like a Zone or Harp, and maybe a lid like a Polecat. At first it will feel really wrong, and the results will probably be inconsistent and maybe downright terrible, but with time it will start to feel natural and results will improve dramatically. I guarantee it.

I wouldn't say it's an ability problem so much as it's just an issue of habit.

I'd encourage the OP to commit to throwing putters for this shot for three months or twenty rounds or whatever, enough to give it an honest chance. Use a normal fan grip. Try both forehand and backhand. Try your regular putting mold, and something OS like a Zone or Harp, and maybe a lid like a Polecat. At first it will feel really wrong, and the results will probably be inconsistent and maybe downright terrible, but with time it will start to feel natural and results will improve dramatically. I guarantee it.

that purposed new habit sure sounds like it is only necessary if op didnt have ability already

Update: I came across an opto Diamond that is 160g just the other day. So far this disc has been perfect for the approaches I needed it to do-straight, slight right 125ft and in. I don't plan on ever throwing a shot above 75% power with it, bc it will turn and burn, but it is a workhorse for 75% and under approaches. It is on its way to earning a full-time spot in my bag.

I don't get how a 940 rated player is considering 6 to 10 foot putts anything but tap ins and how they are able to throw fairways at 75% power and not go past 125 feet.

You sure you don't mean meters and not feet?

I don't get how a 940 rated player is considering 6 to 10 foot putts anything but tap ins and how they are able to throw fairways at 75% power and not go past 125 feet.

I'm guessing 640 rated based on OP's previous comments.

The grip I use doesn't work on putters/mids as accurately as for Fairways, so I use fairways

I suspect that this is at the root of the issue. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you're not using a conventional fan grip. As I said before, give putters and a fan grip an honest try, even if you've tried it in the past. It will feel weird and wrong, but push past that. There's a reason that virtually every experienced disc golfer who's made a serious long-term effort to improve uses a fan-gripped putter for this shot.

Just in case you're unfamiliar with a fan grip—

Easy. I typically will miss a single 10 ft. putt every 15 attempts, or once per round. If I am tap-in distance (5 ft. or closer) I am 99.9% likely to make it. So if I am losing 1 stroke every round because my approaches aren't as close as I want them, that's the difference from a 920 player vs. a 940 player. The only way to not miss a putt is to not have to take one.

Your teeshots must be incredible to be 940 rated and still miss a 10' putt once per round. I played with sub 900 rated MA3 players last week at ledgestone that didn't miss a single putt inside C1 for a tournament round and they didn't hit 940 rated for the round.

Then maybe you shouldn't judge someone based off their comments

You're worried about 10' putts and you haven't learned some of the most basic disc golf skills. Gee, I wonder what division that aligns with? :confused:

Oh wait, I found it!

"Novice Women - available to female amateur players with player ratings < 725. For beginning and casual players who are learning basic Frisbee® and disc golf skills."

"Novice – available to amateur players of all ages with player ratings < 850. For beginning and casual players who are learning basic Frisbee® and disc golf skills. Throw 175-250 feet, make 3-5/10 putts from 20 feet, can throw backhand with some accuracy."

https://www.pdga.com/divisions

Latest posts