• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 bag for an old fart

Getting back to my "150 bag for an old fart" roots with drivers (mostly) in the 150s. Ahhhh!

After a few rounds with the Insanity I might shake up my drivers. Neutron Insanity is a controllable line-shaper so I will be testing the Plasma Insanity as an understable complement. As a bonus I can get both in the mid-150s.

I am also testing Pro Leopards, which I have never thrown despite using 150s Champ Leopards for years. So far I love its ability to hold a line without fading and can't wait to see how it seasons. Shame the minimum weight is 165.

S-FD and Tournament Hatchet are on the sidelines for now. 157 Star Shryke in the trunk for water carries and open bomber courses.

9-11 discs and 7-9 molds in the bag, with everything thrown backhand and sidearm.

Distance:
157 Neutron Wave: main distance driver
164 Neutron Wave: testing to see how weight affects stability
162 CD3: stable distance

Fairway/control:
157 Neutron Insanity: main control driver, workable and versatile
157 Plasma Insanity: testing as an understable control driver
165 Pro Leopard: testing as an understable fairway driver

Midrange:
167 Fuzion EMac Truth: stable
167 400G M4: understable

Putters:
171 XT Proto Colt: putting
171 XT Proto Colt: straight approach
171 Medium Harp: overstable approach, headwind putts

My Pro Leopard is always in my bag, use it for short anny drives every time.

9-11 discs in the bag, with everything thrown backhand and sidearm.

Distance:
157 Neutron Wave: main distance driver
157 Star Shryke: distance with fade
162 CD3: stable distance

Fairway/control:
162 Star TL: straight to fade
157 Plasma Insanity: straight to mildly understable
165 Pro Leopard: understable

Midrange:
166 400G M4: understable

Putters:
171 D-Blend Tomb x 2: putting, straight approach

Winter update:

157 Pro Wraith: testing in place of 162 S-CD3. I like that I can get Wraiths < 160. Pro Wraith seems longer and still OS when fresh – we'll see how it seasons.

Pro Leopard is out – seasoned Plasma Insanity handles those shots. I carry 1 or 2 Insanitys depending on the course, wind, etc.

After briefly testing Tombs, back to XT Colt for my main putter. XT is just such a nice putter plastic. And the Stud feels just like the Colt but flies a little more stable.

Distance:
157 Neutron Wave: main distance driver, very straight in the woods
157 Star Shryke: open bomber courses – more distance, less predictability
157 Pro Wraith: Reliable fade and very good distance when flexed.

Fairway/control:
158 Star TL: stable and workable
157 Plasma Insanity: understable, main woods driver (carry 1 or 2)

Midrange:
167 400G M4: understable

Putters:
171 XT Colt: putting
171 XT Stud: straight approach, back-up putter

Hey nice setup, obviously as a gyronaut I base this largely on your workhorse Wave/Insanity combo!

What's the deal with that star TL? I noticed the weight changed...

And are one of your Insanity proton? I'm more of a 155 inertia guy but just got an Insanity 165... just wondering if you've tried bridging that Wave/Insanity gap with one? Or an Inertia?

My fresh 165 Insanity Plasma is more stable than my lightly worn 157 Neutron Inertia.. Until I catch a headwind, feels glidier. I dunno it's close but different.

From one middle aged fart to another who bags light.. Fission Photon goes down to 143g, I got one in trade, never would have bought one, kinda cool. It's my best driver uphill.

Hey I read more better.. Haha.. I see you had a fiss photon.. And a heavier Inertia... I'm kind of curious about the gaps you had with those and the Wave / Insanirty?

Hey I read more better.. Haha.. I see you had a fiss photon.. And a heavier Inertia... I'm kind of curious about the gaps you had with those and the Wave / Insanirty?

Hey thanks for reading through!

For me N Inertia was less understable and shorter; the N Wave was more understable and longer. But they were so close that it didn't make sense to carry both in the bag, given that I don't like to carry a lot of discs.

I could never get a Photon up to speed, even light Fizz or Plasma, so a pretty big gap between Wave and Photon for me. I have seen others throw Fizz Photons long and straight, but apparently I'm too impatient to get them to that point. But if a disc isn't useful from the get-go, then I never throw it and it never breaks in, so . . .

N Wave and Plasma Insanity fly similar lines, but the Insanity takes much less power so it is more useful on standstill throws and tricky wooded lines.

Heavier Inertia was just . . . heavier . . . and messed up my timing so the experiment was short-lived, and no definitive conclusions were drawn.

What's the deal with that star TL? I noticed the weight changed...
You are quite observant. I found a batch of TLs in the 150s and grabbed a few to keep my drivers' weights consistent. Helps me have a more consistent release point.

And are one of your Insanity proton? I'm more of a 155 inertia guy but just got an Insanity 165... just wondering if you've tried bridging that Wave/Insanity gap with one? Or an Inertia?
Never tried Proton Insanity. N Insanity is more of an S-curve disc for me, but I prefer Plasma (straighter, longer, breaks in faster).

From one middle aged fart to another who bags light.. Fission Photon goes down to 143g, I got one in trade, never would have bought one, kinda cool. It's my best driver uphill.
I never tried a Photon in the 140s. Maybe that is the secret!

Never tried Proton Insanity. N Insanity is more of an S-curve disc for me, but I prefer Plasma (straighter, longer, breaks in faster).

I never tried a Photon in the 140s. Maybe that is the secret!

I hear you on the straight off the shelf action and matching weights.. My fission Photon is maybe 6+ beautiful 143g and less HSS than the 155 Wave by a tick but with less anhyzer wander.. and more LSS.. But very close... I've got a 153 as well 7ish but it's a lot more disc.. Definitely more stable than the Wave. How heavy is yours?

I also jostle around a Vanish and multiple weights of Inertia.. Wave is sweet but I just couldn't get it to work last spring, short about 30' of power but year before last year... hoooboy!!

I thought I'd love the 165 Plasma Insanity but I prefer the 158 N Vanish as a longer Inertia/ more US Wave. From what you say I'm glad I didn't get a neutron. Neutrons are "S" ee-er.. But what do I know I'm in month 4 of discing down... primarily Switch/ Crave here..... And longing..

. . . My fission Photon is maybe 6+ beautiful 143g and less HSS than the 155 Wave by a tick but with less anhyzer wander.. and more LSS.. But very close... I've got a 153 as well 7ish but it's a lot more disc.. Definitely more stable than the Wave. How heavy is yours?
I tried a few Photons, probably mid-150s to low 160s. Just too much disc for me at those weights.

I also jostle around a Vanish and multiple weights of Inertia.. Wave is sweet but I just couldn't get it to work last spring, short about 30' of power but year before last year... hoooboy!!

Vanish is a very nice disc, but pretty close to a Wave (especially Plasma Wave). For whatever reason I clicked with the Wave right away so I'm filling out my bag with complementary discs. As long as I'm throwing cleanly, Wave is just stable enough. And flat so it sidearms nicely.

. . . But what do I know I'm in month 4 of discing down... primarily Switch/ Crave here..... And longing..
Good luck with the discing down project!

Just turned 47 and i feel like it´s time to try some lower weight drivers, maybe try the WAVE/PHOTON kombo in mid 150s.

But i´m curius what the lower weight controldrivers give you, distance or control?
I feel like i can stay with my +170g fairways and just switch my distance drivers to mid 150s, or should i look for controldrivers in the mid 150s as well?

Just turned 47 and i feel like it´s time to try some lower weight drivers, maybe try the WAVE/PHOTON kombo in mid 150s.
Hey there youngster! If you can get Photon up to speed (I can't) I would expect Wave/Photon to cover a lot of shots, especially in different plastics and different states of wear.

But i´m curius what the lower weight controldrivers give you, distance or control?
For me lower weight yields more distance and less strain on my shoulder (beat up from years of swimming and water polo).

Lower weights do get knocked around more by the wind, and do require clean form. But a stable disc, thrown cleanly, still flies stable at light weights.

Some discs do mold up differently at light weights, but stability can go either way. I have heard of everything from super-overstable 150 Star Destroyers to super-flippy 150 R-Pro Bosses.

I feel like i can stay with my +170g fairways and just switch my distance drivers to mid 150s, or should i look for controldrivers in the mid 150s as well?
I seem to get thrown off more than most by weight variation, but many folks can switch weights without problems. Also, some folks carry the same driver in different weights to achieve different flights.

You'll probably have to try it yourself to answer your question. But hey, trying discs is fun!

I didn't read this entire thread, so this may have been discussed. But have you tried a Leopard3?

I didn't read this entire thread, so this may have been discussed. But have you tried a Leopard3?

I have not tried a Leopard3. Threw a Pro Leopard for a while but I'm pretty happy with the Star TL + Plasma Insanity fairway combo.

What is it you like about the Leopard3?

I have not tried a Leopard3. Threw a Pro Leopard for a while but I'm pretty happy with the Star TL + Plasma Insanity fairway combo.

What is it you like about the Leopard3?

I'm a big TL and TL3 fan, also. I never gelled with the Leopard, but the Leopard3 is flatter and feels better in my hand. At first I didn't prefer the Leopard3 over the TL, but in the last year or so the Leopard3 really grew on me. It has a little bit more turn than a TL, but the Champion and Hannah Leatherman Star Leo3s are not flippy understable like the River can become. It just 'works' for me.

If you're happy with the TL, then no rush to get a Leopard3. But if you get a chance to try a Leo3, see how you like it.

I like my latitude 64 diamond ...i'm new bum right shoulder so i throw a lot of lightweight stuff got a 135 beast ....

Latest posts