• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1st time form check

sublimesurf74

First off I watched this video of one shot from a tournament I was in and noticed that I was reaching back on my cross step instead of my last step so I wasn't creating any "tension of the spring."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RqWNdZb08Y#t=09m50s

So I went to the field to work on that.

Then I realized I wasn't bracing so I worked on that yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3neBitsZ1M

After watching this I noticed a few things:
1. My steps are so far apart that I can't brace since I am almost in the splits so I need to shorten my strides.

2. In most throws I am on my heel on the back leg (most likely as a result of the splits).

3. My head is all over the place (it is really big and hard to control :))

4. My timing is still off so my hips aren't really creating torque.

I am trying to work on one thing at a time (from the ground up) so I can pin point one thing and see how it may affect other issues as well.

Yep. First I'd say work from a standstill or one-step, your theory of weightshift needs to change and extra footwork will just add variables and slow progress. You are trying to shift your weight way too far back and forth. That never goes well. You have to maintain good balance and posture and your weight will shift much faster/compact without trying and you will also rotate your core/axis much faster maintaining more upright posture/compact shift - to exponentially whip the arm faster(multiplier effect). At the beginning of your vid, your weight is on the outside edge of your front foot, your pressure should stay more to the inside edge like a skier in a turn - weight on outside ski edge means bad things about to happen. When you go to throw, you plant your rear foot 180 degrees from target, this is 45 degrees or so too far. You want to be able to make a forward move and balance from your instep, and also it helps being able to load/squat back inside your rear foot/instep as you stride into the plant later.

Okay so in essence I am trying to shift my weight more laterally than rotational, right? I will take some video of standstills and report back.

Thanks for the input Sidewinder. You are the man!

Just realized watching this again I shouldn't have been so free in my heel lift. I see that my butt isn't actually moving forward like in the butt wipe drill. I am just rotating around my sacrum basically and not loading my hips with tension.:doh:

Reachback lower and swing upward or level. Your reachback is way too high and swinging downward and putting the disc and arm on different angles. If you pause the top of your backswing... your disc is above your shoulder, so the line from the disc to shoulder is pointed to the ground 10' in front of you, that is where you are actually aiming your swing. Your aim should be upward or level. Keep the disc level to the ground and your shoulders(more importantly) for the most part. See Door Frame Drills, I think it's part 2 I talk about keeping your arm lower and loading your body/weight down into that arm slot position.

Latest posts