• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1st Tournament

Circusgary

I am going to play my first tournament next month on the 27th. How do you choose which class to play in? I have only been playing a couple months. Just paying to play rec doesn't seem logical. I plan to play a couple rounds at the course before hand, any tips for a first timer?
Thanks
G$

I'd try and ask the tournament director if he has any idea how the signups usually go. Depending on region, some areas have alot more people in the lower divisions and some have alot more in the higher divisions, regardless of skill. Easiest thing to do however, would be to just ask the people you play with most.

If it's your first ever tournament, i'd suggest playing the lowest division offered Recreational or novice. they're called MA3 & MA4,respectively. you'll learn more about technique and rules of play. Don't be afraid to ask an established player about the sport. and practice putting.

just stand still and don't talk while other players have a disc In their hand. you don't want to be known as ''that guy''. just go and have fun, most people on your card will be very helpful your first tourney.

Let everyone on your card know it's your first tournament. That way they should give you some help with being *******s about it....hopefully. As for your division, go rec unless you really think you will shoot well under par, then go intermediate.

Let everyone on your card know it's your first tournament. That way they should give you some help with being *******s about it....hopefully. As for your division, go rec unless you really think you will shoot well under par, then go intermediate.
Play rec even if you think you'll go way under par. First time playing a tournament you just never know where your head will be. I've seen numerous players that I'll watch throw -5 to -9 at our local course repeatedly, in that range about 5 out of 7 rounds... just slip all over themselves with a pair of even par rounds the first time out, if not worse.

Sometimes it goes the other way around and you play as expected. A buddy of mine ripped up rec at the Hudson Mills tournament in Ann Arbor this weekend. His first event ever. But more often than not it goes the other way around. Play the lowest division, see what it is like, if you feel like you truly outclass the other guys - then move up next time.

If it's on a course you play regularly, I suggest telling the TD what your average score is, and asking him or her which division you likely fit it.

You could look at previous tournament results to see how your scores fit in, but the tournament layout might be different. A TD should know.

Bearing in mind, as ChrisWoj stated, that your tournament scores will probably be worse than your average casual scores.

Find a local mini to go play and talk to your cardmates about your local divisions. You'll have a great idea of your skill level after one mini. If you've only been playing a few months I can almost guarantee that you are rec division no matter where you live.

If I were you I'd play rec. It'll give you an idea of how tournaments go, and get a feel for the rules and stuff.

As for tips:
Read through the PDGA rules (whether its sanctioned or not) its helpful to know them ahead of time.
Let your cardmates know its your first tournament and to let you know if youre doing something wrong
Stay hydrated and maybe even throw some snacks in your bag (protein bars, granola bars, peanuts etc)

Biggest piece of advice: RELAX, have fun and play YOUR game.

My mistakes in my first tournament (which was a one day marathon):
Not enough water - designated tournament waterboy dropped the ball.
Not enough food - wanted to be hungry and sharp and ate only fruits and veggies but ended up boinking at the end.
No stool (not a fiber issue but a place to sit).
No means to properly clean my grimey, sticky hands - now I keep a gallon of water and Dawn in the car (also for poison ivy).
Arrived way too early.
Worried about everything way too much - everyone was cool and showed me the ropes.
Didn't take a second pair of shorts.

Seconded with the "Tell the TD your average on the course for division placement". Chances are as a newer player and a brand new tournie player, Recreational is the way to play.

My advice for your first tournie: Check the weather report, and if there is more than -1% chance of rain pack a towel, a hand towel (for discs) and a complete change of clothes. It sux playing a 2nd round completely soaked.