• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2010 World Rankings (WTF!!!)

Just because a name has more reconition doesn't mean they deserve better placement.
If they don't like how they stand, they should plan their touring better or play better;)

Simon Lizotte
Kyle Crabtree
John E McCray
KJ Nybo

Just because you dont know the players...

JohnE is STOUT! 1029 rated.
Won basically everything he has played this year (11 Wins).
Only 3 non wins
Lost to Climo, Doss, Feldberg, Locastro in the sunshine state shootout.
18th at vibram
11th at UDGC

Just from this one example with out doing any more research I have concluded you jsut dont know what you are talking about.

As pointed out in the PDGA article, this World Rankings update had the most disruption, compared to the Rankings done right after Worlds, in the five years the Rankings have been done. The likely reason? The untested "throw and distance" penalty format sprung on the players at the USDGC this year.

No World Rankings system in any sport should be subject to this much churn. However, we have so few events where at least some players from around the World face each other that a player's results in these few events have a significant impact on their standings, and none more than the USDGC impacting 20% of the World Rankings calculation (Worlds only 14%) due to more World Ranked players competing together. Ironic that Innova, who pays many of the sponsor bonuses mentioned, created the event format which resulted in this ranking shuffle among their sponsored players.

Just because you dont know the players...

JohnE is STOUT! 1029 rated.
Won basically everything he has played this year (11 Wins).
Only 3 non wins
Lost to Climo, Doss, Feldberg, Locastro in the sunshine state shootout.
18th at vibram
11th at UDGC

Just from this one example with out doing any more research I have concluded you jsut dont know what you are talking about.

Nice assumption, smart guy. Actually, I do know the players. Ulibarri finished 9th at Vibram, 5th at USDGC, and 2nd at Worlds.....yet only ranks one better than John E? Explain that to me. I didn't say he sucks, I'm just questioning the logic behind the standings.

BTW, it is spelled "just". Thanks for questioning my knowledge.

It seems to me that some players are being "punished" (for lack of a better term) for playing more, and smaller events.

C-tiers don't count in World Rankings for US players. And frankly, it's the players playing against the course anyway to determine their ratings. So it's not the size (of the event) that matters, it's how well they use their discs.

Chuck,
Is there any plan to review how the world rankings are caculated and possibly devise a better method?

I'm nobody but isn't this the point of worlds to get everyone playing the same courses same conditions at the same time against one another.
I also think golf is unique in that there all players have good n bad days and some are just consistent. We all know the local legend who throws a 1000+ plus round and then underperforms against the nikkos etc. They r still good dgers but u have to rank everyone somehow.
My suggestion come up with a better more sensible option. I'm not being a smart ass but many complain but I never hear a better method

Just because a name has more reconition doesn't mean they deserve better placement.
If they don't like how they stand, they should plan their touring better or play better;)

I know name recognition means nothing and it shouldn't. You won't catch me advocating that Avery belongs in the top 20 , and he is one of the most familiar names on tour.

I'm nobody but isn't this the point of worlds to get everyone playing the same courses same conditions at the same time against one another.
I also think golf is unique in that there all players have good n bad days and some are just consistent. We all know the local legend who throws a 1000+ plus round and then underperforms against the nikkos etc. They r still good dgers but u have to rank everyone somehow.
My suggestion come up with a better more sensible option. I'm not being a smart ass but many complain but I never hear a better method

I completely agree with you. I don't have a better method, so perhaps I shouldn't be complaining. I just wanted to point out that it should be reviewed by the "experts", as these rankings do affect the paychecks of our beloved pros.

Nice assumption, smart guy. Actually, I do know the players. Ulibarri finished 9th at Vibram, 5th at USDGC, and 2nd at Worlds.....yet only ranks one better than John E? Explain that to me. I didn't say he sucks, I'm just questioning the logic behind the standings.

BTW, it is spelled "just". Thanks for questioning my knowledge.

You're welcome! Paul U. is one of my favorite players but looking at the results, I can see how even though he finished well in some majors he didn't do as well across all A,B,and NT's as some others. So I am not suprised that he moved down a bit. Jstu being from AZ and pulling for your local hero isn't much of an arguement.

It's occasionally being questioned from update to update but those who decide whether the process is fair are satisfied it's still appropriate based on what information is available. Just because you don't like what the numbers say doesn't mean it's not correct for the historical information used. The process has been automated and stable for most of the five years it's been done. No judgment calls involved.

Frankly, I don't really think any World Ranking process other than just using the PDGA Player Ratings rankings is valid because we don't have enough events where the same pool of top players competes together in enough events over the years like ball golf or tennis. But players asked for an alternative to ratings that also incorporated finish positions in major events and NTs. So, the process was hammered out and we've had them for a while. It should be no surprise that the ratings rankings and World Rankings match up pretty well.

You're welcome! Paul U. is one of my favorite players but looking at the results, I can see how even though he finished well in some majors he didn't do as well across all A,B,and NT's as some others. So I am not suprised that he moved down a bit. Jstu being from AZ and pulling for your local hero isn't much of an arguement.

That's not my arguement. I mentioned Cale as well. This has nothing to do with "pulling for my local hero".

It's occasionally being questioned from update to update but those who decide whether the process is fair are satisfied it's still appropriate based on what information is available. Just because you don't like what the numbers say doesn't mean it's not correct for the historical information used. The process has been automated and stable for most of the five years it's been done. No judgment calls involved.

Frankly, I don't really think any World Ranking process other than just using the PDGA Player Ratings rankings is valid because we don't have enough events where the same pool of top players competes together in enough events over the years like ball golf or tennis. But players asked for an alternative to ratings that also incorporated finish positions in major events and NTs. So, the process was hammered out and we've had them for a while. It should be no surprise that the ratings rankings and World Rankings match up pretty well.

Gotcha. I'm not saying it is or isn't correct, as I don't think a "correct" ranking can exist.

The Yetter

Nikko and Brinster both played. Nikko won, but not by much Brinster took second and Nikko said if they played more holes Steve would have own. Steve was on the lead card for the final round of the Vibram. Dude is rock solid and achieved his best world ranking to date. Congrats to him. #3 in my book.

Are the Lawyers and Accountants Taking Over Disc Golf??????

In case anyone wants a link to what I am talking about:

http://www.pdga.com/WorldRankings

Take the time to go and check this out...
Read ALL of the explanation of how and why they are using this formula...
Are we accountants/lawyers -or- DISC GOLFERS????
What the heck is that wrong with the current player rating system???

Latest posts