• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 national collegiate championships

coolhand

Par Member
i go to ETSU and we will be playing in this in april at north augusta, sc.

anyone else playing and if so, for what school?

we are currently ranked 28th in the nation so we are serious underdogs. we also lost our best player to graduation. so the rest of our team and i will have to step it up, but i am looking forward to it.

man - wish i knew about this kinda stuff when i was in school

I just played in a tourney/fundraiser organized by the University of Oregon DG club.. I'm guessing several of their players might attend. Some of them were very good. :) I tied for 7th in their 'competitive' division (they only had two divisions, competitive and recreational), and it took three birdies in a row (including a near ace) to win the playoff against one of the UO club guys for the last cashing place. :)

Purdue's pretty excited about going. We've been trying to practice inside a gymnasium this winter and somehow keep our putters working through the cold months...

Good thread. Great event. Georgia Tech will be there.

For those of you who don't know, inform yourselves. This will be the fifth edition of the NCDGC, contested April 14-17, 2011 at the Hippodrome complex in North Augusta, SC. It's the same weekend as the Atlanta Open A-tier, so a number of touring pros come out Thursday and Friday to watch before heading a few hours West on I-20 to play the AO. This year is expected to have a full field of 36 schools, and hometown Augusta State University are the defending champions. Check it out here for more information and to see if your school will be there.

i went to WIU and they didnt have the team formed to my knowledge when i was there. they represented very well last year. I had a chance to disc with some of those guys when i was attending

Just submitted my team's information. PSU finished 14 of 26 last year to earn an automatic qualifing bid and we're looking to repeat that this year. Great tournament, and I'm excited to play again this year.

GT_Chris--If you played the final doubles round on Sunday last year, I was in that group with you guys.

I went last year for IHCC out of Iowa. This year IHCC and Iowa State University are both going. I believe IHCC has a more solid team this year, and ISU beat them in qualifying. IHCC finished 10th last year with 2 of it's members tying for 15th personal rank (myself and another). In ~November there were more teams signed up to go than there were at the tourney last year, so there should be quite a gathering. Both courses are fantastic and any team that wants to go, should do anything in their power to raise the funds to.

I know that there is team competition, but is there a place where just a single individual could represent their school? I go to NC State, and although we are trying to restart our club disc golf team I doubt that we will be running by the February 21 deadline.

Texas State University will be there. not sure how we will stand up, but watching the videos from last year it looks like some great competition and two unique courses. We are mainly going for the experience because we want to organize a major collegiate event for Texas/SW. Looking forward to meeting the rest of the teams.

GT_Chris--If you played the final doubles round on Sunday last year, I was in that group with you guys.

Yep, that was me, fighting for that last automatic qualifying spot. Good to hear you'll be going back. I've heard that only the top 10 will be earning seeds back into the 2012 Championships, so both our schools better kick it up a notch.

I've been looking forward to getting back this year since the Sunday afternoon after 2010 Nats. I feel like there are a couple advantages we'll have now that we're a returning team. I just wonder what changes they might make to the course.

I know that there is team competition, but is there a place where just a single individual could represent their school? I go to NC State, and although we are trying to restart our club disc golf team I doubt that we will be running by the February 21 deadline.

As far as I know, your school must have a team roster to compete in the championships :\ Sounds like a good reason to gear up for 2012!

And Chris, I hadn't heard of the top 10 rule. Hate to say it, but it makes sense going forward. Outside of adding more holes, there are limits to how many teams they can fit, and we want to make sure the most interested teams are attending the tournament.

Notre Dame will be there. We're looking to quickly grow our new club and this is an incredible way to prove viability and increase our program's visibility. I'm also looking forward to meeting the rest of you. Hopefully we can create some bigger collegiate tournaments in our region next year.

Kinda a tread jack but what has been the most effective way to keep a College club going, as you figure the founders will be gone after a few? I've been out for years now but i''ve been talking to the local Community college about putting a course in and would love to see them have a club as well as GMU down the street. Any stories/experience with helping start or grow a college club after your down with college? We have a local area club I would love it if we were more involved.

Kinda a tread jack but what has been the most effective way to keep a College club going, as you figure the founders will be gone after a few? I've been out for years now but i''ve been talking to the local Community college about putting a course in and would love to see them have a club as well as GMU down the street. Any stories/experience with helping start or grow a college club after your down with college? We have a local area club I would love it if we were more involved.

For PSU, we just started the club last year and participated in very few events. Our main sources of funding were department allocation and personal dues. We were not able to do a lot with that money, but the school funded our trip to the championships on the grounds of it being a "National Competition." So first of all, check into that kind of funding at GMU if you're worried about that being a big expense.

Secondly, this year we've done fundraising through disc sales. I got in contact with Innova and they were able to hook me up with custom stamped discs for a pretty sweet cost. We turned them around at $10 (DX) and $15 (Star) and made a few dollars to support gas money to tournaments. As far as I can see, this is all the kind of money we really need. I was able to land the design for the discs through a family connection, so we were really grateful for that. Otherwise, keep it simple and the design won't cost you much (time or $$$).

Hope this helps a bit :thmbup:

Latest posts