• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 Pro World's DVD

T.Hizzle

Eagle Member
"PDGA may not produce a 2012 Worlds DVD unless they maybe try to assemble clips from discgolfplanet.tv coverage." ~ Chuck

What's the reasoning behind this?

iirc, chuck has stated they lose $ on it every year.

There is no money in DG DVD's, its just a sad fact. Maybe someday but it is a big loser right now. I have though about trying to make a business out of it but there is no point at this time. The cost of perduction is 3 to 4 times what you would make off sales.

I doubt there's much money in the magazine either, but they still force that down our throats.

I've probably got around half a dozen disc golf DVD's. I doubt there's a single title amongst them that I've watched more than twice. Some I never got through once.

"PDGA may not produce a 2012 Worlds DVD unless they maybe try to assemble clips from discgolfplanet.tv coverage." ~ Chuck

What's the reasoning behind this?

I'd also like to hear more on this. What's the deal? 2012 Worlds is the biggest combine world's in the sports history. Even if it loses a little money, wouldn't it be a great way to promote the sport?

oh well i guess.

I doubt there's much money in the magazine either, but they still force that down our throats.

I've probably got around half a dozen disc golf DVD's. I doubt there's a single title amongst them that I've watched more than twice. Some I never got through once.

True that! I don't even know where DG DVD's went to. It's been a few years since I watched one. I feel bad for companies like MyThrowMedia and others that want to try promote the game. I hope they don't dump to much money into their ventures. The pdga does very little to support companies like this. Along with DG companies not willing to dish out cash as sponsers.

How do niche sports like Slalom Waterskiing, snowmobiling, wakeboarding and etc.... Get such kick ass DVD's produced?

A primary goal of PDGA Worlds DVDs has been documenting and archiving the history of the sport, not necessarily to create a video that's exciting and compelling like a commercial movie. That's why the Worlds DVDs are usually fairly bland and have much repetition of players in all divisions playing the same holes in Final 9s. As we've seen for 2011 and several previous years, for whatever reasons, the contractors have not always gotten the job done in time to hit the peak Christmas sales season which has hurt in recovering the cost to produce it.

Discgolfplanet.tv has become an expected and regular part of some PDGA Majors that the PDGA helps underwrite. So it may make sense to simply assemble clips from their 2012 coverage into a DVD. I don't think any decision has been made one way or the other but as of April no contract for a 2012 Worlds DVD had been sought or granted.

Even the people that play this game can't stand watching it. DG = Fad/Fail

Quick question for you guys? For the people that actually purchased the DVD when is the expected ship date? Or are they even going to finish the DVD?

How do niche sports like Slalom Waterskiing, snowmobiling, wakeboarding and etc.... Get such kick ass DVD's produced?

There is way more money in those sports, but there are still very few that can make any money. I used to shoot snowboarding videos and it is so much fun but you have to be one of the top 5 production companies to make any money doing it.

DG just isn't there yet...IMO one of the reasons is it is not as extream as some of the sports you mentioned. Don't get me wrong I really like watching DG dvd's but the mass public just doesn't get it. If you don't play DG it jsut isn't that interesting to watch. People who don't play have no idea how hard it actually is.

The other issue is DG is a relatively cheap sport to participate in. Most players own 5-15 disc's at around $15 a pop and play free course. This make our sport great in some ways but also has its draw backs. Think about the people you see on the course, lots of them don't have the money to buy a DVD at $20 a pop. The sports you mentioned are very expencive to get into and it is really no big deal for people who enjoy them to drop $20 on a dvd when the equipment they buy is $100's if not $1000. I ride a $900 snowboard and binding set up and that doesn't include the boots or lift tickets. Wakeboarders by boats that are worth as much as a small house. DG has none of that going for it.

On a side note Fizzle actually made a thread with some substance. lol :clap:

About time

A wise man once said, "Do NOT buy DG DVD's, when you got Youtube."

This is a huge problem in general for several different media venues, think about the news paper companies, magazine in general, both CDs, and DVDs. The digital age has absolutely changed the face of the market.

Blockbuster is bankrupt.

Haha, anyways it is the truth. I download or stream everything from games to TV shows to E-books.

You guys/gals must have some pretty crappy dg dvds if you only watch them once. I watch mine at least a couple times a year. Maybe not having cable has something to do with it. But I do enjoy watching

04 MSDGC (cam todd record)
03 USDGC (10 hole playoff)
Blue Ribbon Pines Clash Series

You guys/gals must have some pretty crappy dg dvds if you only watch them once.

The one in my collection that really sticks out is the 2007 Worlds from Highbridge. Its not that the action and commentary is bad, but between each hole they showed a graphic where all players hole scores where shown accompanied by the PDGA logo jumping all over the screen along with this annoying blaring music (which is the same 20 seconds of music that plays during the intro, on the menu screen, and probably throughout half the video).

After about the 23rd time you've seen that graphic, and after about five minutes of that same 20 second loop of music, over and over and over, you just want it to STOP. I'd swear if you cut that stuff out of the video, it would be 30 minutes shorter.
:wall:

Its like the director was more interested in showcasing his video creation and editing skills than showing the tournament. When you're showing golf of any type, less is often more.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get them to tone that down in the PW2007 vid. It was one of the better Worlds from the standpoint of an Open battle to the end. I had created birds-eye view graphics of each of the Final 9 holes which they didn't use. I think viewers need this info similar to the flyovers we see on ball golf coverage.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get them to tone that down in the PW2007 vid. It was one of the better Worlds from the standpoint of an Open battle to the end. I had created birds-eye view graphics of each of the Final 9 holes which they didn't use. I think viewers need this info similar to the flyovers we see on ball golf coverage.

The PDGA must have seen the pars for the holes and said "nope, can't show this" :D