• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 Pro World's DVD

Having been involved at various times assisting the PDGA ED with selecting bidders over the years, it was a primary purpose for the video. As a member org, it was felt that all divs should be covered even if a 20 shot lead wasn't compelling video.

I think the pdga should scrap the DVD and magazine ventures. Instead, send a disc to the member whether it's a new membership or renewal. The disc should also be from the smaller company such as Legacy or MVP.

I think the pdga should scrap the DVD and magazine ventures. Instead, send a disc to the member whether it's a new membership or renewal. The disc should also be from the smaller company such as Legacy or MVP.

I'd MUCH rather have the magazine than a disc. No doubt about it.

An organization has an obligation to communicate with its members. Even in this Internet age, not every member has access to it nor could be responsible for holding onto and reading online content. While sending a magazine doesn't guarantee that a member has received it and read it, a member can more easily claim that they never got the email or visited the website when important things like elections or changes in policy are being discussed or voted on. Just as with the DVD, the magazine is a hard copy archive of the sport presenting our history in a colorful and digestible format. That's not to say the evolving technological age won't gradually phase out most printed magazines within 10 years but just not yet for DG.

I still don't throw that stuff.

It would instantly go in the for sale bin.

Neither do I. I wouldn't pay money for any of it. But, I'd try throwing it if it was free. I learned that the Lat. 64 GL Core is craptastic by finding one and throwing for a little while. I'll stick to my first and 2nd first runs Buzzzes.

An organization has an obligation to communicate with its members. Even in this Internet age, not every member has access to it nor could be responsible for holding onto and reading online content. While sending a magazine doesn't guarantee that a member has received it and read it, a member can more easily claim that they never got the email or visited the website when important things like elections or changes in policy are being discussed or voted on. Just as with the DVD, the magazine is a hard copy archive of the sport presenting our history in a colorful and digestible format. That's not to say the evolving technological age won't gradually phase out most printed magazines within 10 years but just not yet for DG.

Are you saying that the pdga is creating an archive of the soon to fail experiment called the pdga? pdga=fail?

Well Fizzle your thread started out ok and now it is going down hill fast.

Landfill here we come...

An organization has an obligation to communicate with its members. Even in this Internet age, not every member has access to it
That's silly. What percentage of members don't have internet access? Less than a percent right? I'll bet there are as many blind members as members without internet, but they don't send audio or braille communications to the entire member base.

The website is an objectively better medium for this communication. It can be dispensed more quickly, it can offer video instead of just pictures, errors can be corrected on the fly, it is accessible to orders of magnitude more people... Any dollar spent on the magazine would definitely be better spent enhancing the website.

Switching subjects, I'm disappointed about the possibility of no video. I think in order to grow, the sport needs to package a high quality video of the top pros, consistent with the production quality we're used to seeing in other sports. The current video options - discgolfplanet, disc golf monthly, etc - are great for those of us who are already die hards. But low res videos of C tier tournaments are hardly bringing in new fans. The disc itself is hard to see on these low quality videos.

High end HD cameras are getting more and more affordable, and I was hoping that it would lead to DVDs that could be considered watchable by the average outsider.

How would that help the growth of the sport? The members already have discs. And it's not like they can give you free discs - they would just be taking the money you paid to join and spending some of it on a disc. If I want a disc, I'll buy it from an established vendor.

That's silly. What percentage of members don't have internet access? Less than a percent right? I'll bet there are as many blind members as members without internet

I'll take that bet.

And I'll bet you'd be surprised at the % of members that don't access the internet (from home or elsewhere).

And I'll bet you'd be surprised at the % of members that don't access the internet (from home or elsewhere).
I literally don't know anybody who doesn't access the Internet. Who are we talking about?

Focusing limited resources on a handful of anomoly citizens seems like a bid for failure. Magazines are dead. Expensive to print and ship, and outdated by the time you get it. Make the website more like NBA.com or NFL.com and you'll appeal to thousands of relevant people who actually have discretionary income. Live scoring, coverage and highlights. More stats. Player photos and bios on the player profiles. HD instructional videos featuring the best athletes and tournament recaps.

You'll never attract legitimate sponsors until you are drawing desirable demographics - in quantity - to the website. This isn't going to be accomplished by catering to those who are too old or too poor for the Internet.

I like the 'zine, not as much from a reading perspective but from the growing the sport perspective. <-- huh? Allow me to explain. I'll leave my Disc Golfer magazine where anybody that comes over can easily see & read it (and they usually do). Those that have limited to no exposure to disc golf get to learn a little about the sport and get a little more informed/engaged. I'll do the same thing when I go places and leave it at my destination (parent's house, friend's house, etc.)

Latest posts