• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Glass Blown Open

Snow is about melted again. They postponed the Monkey Island Open from last sunday to this saturday. I'm going stir crazy indoors. Might get out to practice today. Fund raising for the GBO is going good I need less than $25 now for my mediocre showing in Intermediate. :D

Obviously the earlier post about them releasing the Suspect for GBO was moved up. It will be the understable compliment driver to the Trespass. Can't wait.

'understable compliment to the Trespass'
Oh my, even more reason why I can't wait.

Playing Monkey Island Saturday. Intending to come down Friday to play a practice round.

Weather next week is going to be rainy but I think it will clear out by next Friday. Temps should be 50s-70s and probably plenty of wind. Going to be a good time.

Anybody got any good caddy tips for different holes on the golf courses

Weather next week is going to be rainy but I think it will clear out by next Friday. Temps should be 50s-70s and probably plenty of wind. Going to be a good time.

Oh yeah, KS wind. Bring it on!

Anybody got any good caddy tips for different holes on the golf courses

Keep in mind, I'm rated 833.

Of the 18 rated rounds I had in 2012, first day at Jones Gold was my worst of 2012 (755), and last day at Muni was my best for 2012 (880).

Jones Gold's OB tore me up. This year, they are playing true Jones East, albeit making hole hole 13 hole 1, hole 14 hole 2, etc. I'm guessing this is in preparation of Am Worlds for better player and traffic flow. In general, stay inbounds, even if it means driving shorter. Losing 50 ft is better than adding a stroke.

Also, I walked each course I was going to play the next day after my round that particular day. Play a course blind is not a good idea.

Using this year's maps:

Jones East:

http://dynamicdiscs.com/glass-blown-open/courses/

6: If you have a great RHBH anyhyzer, RHFH flick, or LHBH hyzer, it is best to avoid the trees.

7: In years past, some have gone for it presumming to use the DZ. Last year they moved the DZ farther back so it wasn't as advantegeous. Personally, I like the right route around the trees and coming up on the green on the right side.

9: Anhyzer over the trees, low and hard, or thumber. This is a hard hole.

11: Unless you can drive 360' for absolute sure, use a mid to the pond, then go over next shot.

13: There is a specific gap you have to hit through the trees.

16: Creek behind is casual. Gun it.

18: It is tighter than you think, both in the immediate fairway, then in the landing area between the OB gravel road and the trees.

Country Club:

1: Long downhill to water. Your disc will hyzer out more than you think, but if you turn it over, you are OB.

8: Stay away from the trees on the left in order to have 2 long drives available to you.

10: This is where the distance competition is on Sunday. For a reason.

14: Be careful of OB

16: You really need to get across the 'Y' in the sidewalk to stay out of trouble. Maybe 285'?

17: Do NOT get to the left side of the tree line.

18: Best hole of the weekend. You really are throwing onto a true island in the water. Fun, fun, fun.

Muni:

1: I was surprised to see that there is actually a left route. May want to walk this before you toss.

3: Need to evaluate how to approach the placements. Farther is not always better.

4: Last year there was a mando tree, not listed?

6, 7: Last year this area was really bad for the wind and putts.

8: Basket is on a small hill.

9: I took a risky shot throwing into the wind with a beat in Pro Destroyer. It paid off because I stayed away from the OB left and barely stayed in on the right, but had a great upshot.

10: This was crazy windy last year. Bring your baddest, overstable disc you have.

11: Stay out of trees. Not a bad idea to play this a bit left.

14: There is a small creek between you and the basket that is deceiving.

16: Overstable will keep you away from Tall Grass.

18: THE hole for this course. This was taken beyond the basket looking back at the tee box.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6vjQ6H37nA
(that's not me BTW).
Getting there you do cross the water twice like the map shows. You want to stay left along the preferred travel route to insure good footing for next throw.

At muni, I was putting a lot with my DX Gator, the wind was that bad. If you lob it, you are in trouble.

1: I was surprised to see that there is actually a left route. May want to walk this before you toss.

Meant to write: I was surprised to see that there is actually a RIGHT route.

Rob, thanks for the write up on the holes! We have a group of 4 coming in Thurs. night, and we'll be playing two of the courses blind. Very informative.

Rob, thanks for the write up on the holes! We have a group of 4 coming in Thurs. night, and we'll be playing two of the courses blind. Very informative.

You're welcome.

If you have the opportunity to, I think the reason why I improved each day was playing safer, paying attention more to the wind and the affects it will have on putting and driving, and walking the course each day.

Because I did so crappy early on, I was on an early card (all tee times) in the AM. When I finished my round that AM, I went and grabbed lunch, a couple beers, and just walked the course I would play next. One of those days, I was able to walk about 8 holes with the third from the top ADV division. One guy in particular, from AZ was very cool and we walked and talked about the wind, approaching, putts, etc., while he was playing. The next day, I had the best round of 2012 (for me).

Oh yeah, KS wind. Bring it on!

Looking a little cloudy out there today but Shaun from our group at the Monkey Island is in town with his friends getting in some practice rounds. I'm meeting them at Jones here soon.

We're supposed to get more rain but should be done by Friday I hope. DD and parks dept. were busting butts at Peter Pan and I know they did a lot at Jones East yesterday with new basket tops. I'm pumped man, give me a shout if you make it here before Friday those will be my only two days to try the muni and country club courses.

Anyone still need a place to stay at GBO? My buddy just had his roomate cancel out and is looking for someone to split the room costs with at the Guesthouse Inn and Suites. The room is already reserved he just doesn't want to pay full price at the last minute. PM for more details.

Weather forecast for the GBO. Better bring both the warm and cold weather gear, because the weather is going to go from :gross: to :cool:.

Thursday - High 45, Low 29. Wind WNW at 20-30 mph, 10% chance of rain (aside from the cold, a standard Spring day in Kansas).
Friday - High 52, Low 33. Wind NNW at 19 mph, 10% chance of rain.
Saturday - High 65, Low 54. Wind SE at 11 mph, 10% chance of rain.
Sunday - High 74, Low 47. Wind S at 19 mph, no chance of rain.
:hfive:

So if you were expecting at least one calm day, well, Saturday is about as close to one as you're gonna get. Good luck to everyone attending. I may run up Thursday and take a crack at the ball golf course layouts. :clap:

Tee times are up. A minor change in pools.

See http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/100344

Thanks. :hfive:

I'm headed to the Granada to check in at 1:00 and stick a disc in a guy's player pack that I fished out of the pond at Jones, as well as pick up what goodies might be in my own. Rough weather for a practice round but gotta be go hard if I don't want to bring up the rear of the pack in intermediate. :D