• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Thoughts/2014 Goals

2013: started off playing twice a week on average.

From June on: played and reviewed 110 different courses. Made immense putting strides. 90% from 15-20 feet, now. Learned how to throw a destroyer.

2014 goals: in order of importance

1. play and review 90 courses.
2. increase my accurate putting range out to 25-30 feet.
3. Do field work twice a week
4. improve my backhand.
5. play in 9 states that i hadnt previously played in

2013: Played my first round of disc golf on the Fourth of July and got in at least five rounds per week on average since. Totally hooked. Met a ton of great people who made it fun and easy to play in my first tournaments and made many, many new friends on the dozen courses I've played. Got a basket for the backyard to practice my atrocious putting. All in all, a really great year.

2014: Improve form and focus. Increase distance with my drivers and mid-ranges/increase accuracy with mid-ranges and putters. Play a dozen new courses and meet even more like-minded plastic chuckers. Move from MA3 to MA2 and place in a PDGA sanctioned event. Play at least seven rounds per week and have the most fun!

2013: I am extremely happy of the way I preformed my first season playing in PDGA events. I started the beginning of the year playing Intermediate and now I'm cashing and a threat in Open. I was really pleased about my mental game and execution this season. It helped me improve and allow me to meet my goals of this season. I also meet great people and made many friends.

2014: This will be the year where I will be playing strictly Open. I will do my best to get my rating up to at least 980+ this coming year. By doing so I will be working on putting, backhand approaches, and backhand anhyzers. Really excited to see what's in store for this coming season!

Hell of a season buddy! Nice job :clap:

2013:
- Played my first two A-tiers
- Established an official student organization for disc golf at UGA
- Devoted more time to school and as a result my ratings suffered (923 rated, ratings from 870-960)
- Overhauled my RHBH in November so as to not hold the disc at all with my left hand ... still working on it, but results have been positive.

2014:
- Play more B/A tier tournaments ... selectively choosing the best tournaments as I concentrate on school
- Get discs/apparel stamped up to sell for Disc Golf at UGA
- I'd like to play more consistently, and hopefully that will lead to my first tournament win
- Continue improving my RHBH technique
- Hang out with my DGCR buddies at a certain private course ;) :D (... and maybe some other courses too!)

2013: I won three events on the year (four including a team challenge win yesterday) including my state Championship for Advanced. The other two were commanding wins in Advanced where I beat the winner in open by multiple strokes. This showed me first hand I can light it up under pressure, and it's not a fluke when it happens more than once.

Almost more inspiring than that though is a marked improvement in consistency and mental game in tourneys. It's getting to the point where tourneys not only feel routine but I crave them, I crave the pressure, the unknown, the excitement of getting to try to be your best against others. The way I feel the endorphin rush on my walk to the first tee pad but know I just have to take a bunch of deep breathes and I can feel calm again. I only had one tourney out of about 15 where I walked away completely disappointed with my play. The other 14 I always had things to improve but more importantly things to be proud of.

I've developed BH and FH technique that is fairly simple and repeatable and rare is the tee pad now I don't step up onto to choose my disc where I don't immediately get excited and feel confidence after looking it over.

My putting is improved, but still what will hold me back on some days. My ability to play well in bad or technical conditions continued to be a strong point, as proven yesterday shooting third overall in brutal conditions (ice on every tee, grueling ice crusted snow, and miniature fairways due to ice loaded trees drooping) at a winter team challenge.

Overall it was a great year for disc golf. I had tons of fun, made some great new friends, quit spending too much money on plastic, finished my 18 hole layout on my course, and for the first time ever broke even on tourney fees. I'm really looking forward to the next year of my favorite sport.

For 2013, I told myself I was going to stick with what I had in my bag and practice putting religiously.

I did neither.

Since I am finally feeling pretty solid about my bag, I am planning on sticking with what I have, save for possibly adding a utility driver and/or OS putter. I'd like to get out on the practice basket more, but I won't put a number on it. Just need to do it more.

I'd also like to play in at least one tournament this year, just to see how I stack up against others.

I need to save up the cash to get a basket for the yard. My putting is bad, and I think improving it will be the most time efficient way to lower my scores. I wish I had more time to dedicate to disc golf but with a second kid on the way this spring I need to be content with where I am and enjoy the time I do have to play rounds with friends

I'm aiming high this year...I'm looking to par a round. I know...I know...making unattainable goals can only result in failure but screw it.

On a serous note, just play more and try and improve on as many aspects as possible. Learn to calm down before taking the shot.

2013: Backhand improved a little. Increased my putting range about 5'. Developed an accurate, while short, forehand. First MA2 win.

2014 goals: Same as last year. 300' accurate forehand. 95% from 20', 80% from 25', 50% from 30'. Better accuracy backhand. More distance would be nice, and probably necessary for more accuracy. Develop a clean overhand.

2013: I won three events on the year (four including a team challenge win yesterday) including my state Championship for Advanced. The other two were commanding wins in Advanced where I beat the winner in open by multiple strokes. This showed me first hand I can light it up under pressure, and it's not a fluke when it happens more than once.

Sounds like you got a classic case of the sandbags. :D Haha but seriously, that sounds like a pretty successful year. :clap:

2013- Great year! Highlights:
-Rating improved from the 970s to 993
- Got my first open pro win (ended up with 3)
-Cashed north of $3k on the year
- TD of the two most prestigious events in my state
- Elected NM State PDGA Coordinator

2014 Goals
- TD the first A-tier in NM history (will be done in April)
- Get rating to 1000+
- Attend Pro Worlds in Portland and cash
- $4k + in earnings
- Help other TDs in the state bring NM golf up to speed with the rest of the country!

Sounds like you got a classic case of the sandbags. :D Haha but seriously, that sounds like a pretty successful year. :clap:
when hes on, hes on. he almost aced the first hole of our round the other day with disc he hadnt even thrown before. the competitive face he puts on when he is playing well is almost amusingly intense and yet though rarely seen, his face when he is off just seems lifeless.
what was most impressive about one of the wins was A, the conditions were not great, many of the tee pads are sheets of steel and this was a snowy ice bowl event. B, he had never even played the course prior.

2013 was a good year, with a win in Am2 doubles and Am 2 singles, plus a few competitive tournies in AM1. I learned a LOT and was able to finally start applying all the info that I've been soaking up on DGCR these last few years.
For 2014, I fully intend to start consistently breaking 400ft on my distance drives. I'm going to be doing a lot of specific training sessions, and, all going well, will be moving to either SoCal or Austin before snow falls next year. That alone should open up some new Discing horizons!

This was a confidence building year for me. Disc golf has always been a passion of mine but I always viewed it as something casual to do. This year I started taking it more serious and have put the time and effort in to grow in this sport. My personal highlights include: consistently making 30ft or less putts,developing a strong reliable back hand, setting numerous course bests for myself, finally settling on a bag setup I love and getting 5 family members to start playing regularly. Going into next season I now have the confidence to start competing.

For 2014 my goals are to increase my driving distance and consistency. I am going to make an effort to spend more time field training than always going out and playing playing. I also recently bought into a gym membership to work on my overall strength and flexibility and can tell it will pay dividends for 2014. Finally, I would like to enter into at least 5 tournaments (get that pdga number if needed!) and 2 ace races to start building my confidence towards competing.

Best of luck to everyone in 2014!

Last edited:
2013: I was very pleased with this year. Me and my buddy won TX State Am Doubles (one of my favorite events of the year), I added some distance and consistency (currently really working on more or both), I have been more involved in my local club including helping with the re-design and renovation of the course I learned on. Unfortunately, I missed TX State (singles; A-tier) for the first time since I have been playing, but got to play in my first World's in Emporia. The course closest to my office was pulled (currently being redesigned), so I was forced to work on mostly putting on the weekdays, recently I hung a blanket and tarp in the garage for driving technique practice. Increased martial arts training has also strengthened my core and overall physical and mental well-being. I have gotten 3 raises/promotions at work this year and now, in 5 years, have gone from making copies to head of sales/estimating.

2014: High expectations. I have been working on driving technique a lot lately. I am determined to get my Rivals and/or Escapes to 400' golf lines before I put anything faster back in the bag. This has also resulted in better FH form, since I am not just crushing something overstable on an anny line constantly (threw past a 465' hole a couple days ago by about 25'. It's slightly downhill, but still a clean line). I want to make a good showing at TX States this year in MA1 and of course, defend the title at State Doubles. I am currently playing some of my best golf lately, with 980-ish rounds (according to Easy Scorecard - I know, not the most reliable source, but still 30 points higher than before). I plan to continue my training, work harder, eat better (fell off the Paleo diet wagon earlier this year; started back up this week). I plan to continue my development with the club, and work on another re-design and an all new course. I also plan to have my first kid with my incredible wife this year - hopefully there will still be room for the disc golf.

/personal pep talk. Thanks for listening.

Shout out to the reviews of Tall Paul, Mashnut, 19325, JGonzo, and Harr :clap: A lot of fun days aided by your willingness to insightfully review all those courses. Thank you

2013 Road trips
Quad Cities
Minneapolis - St. Cloud
Joliet - Lemon Lake
Cedar Rapids-Iowa City
Rockford - Peoria

Played around 70 new courses this year. Not to shabby. Also added Iowa and Indiana to the played list.

2014: Feed the Beast! (me, not Eddie Lacy)
Road trips planned for
Charlotte
Cincinnati
Ann Arbor
Des Moines

Hopefully adding to the played list
Ohio
Kentucky
Virginia -West
North-South Carolina
Tennessee

Hard to imagine, but 2014 could possibly be better than his year?!

DGCR? ... I'm pretty sure it's why the internet was developed

when hes on, hes on. he almost aced the first hole of our round the other day with disc he hadnt even thrown before. the competitive face he puts on when he is playing well is almost amusingly intense and yet though rarely seen, his face when he is off just seems lifeless.
what was most impressive about one of the wins was A, the conditions were not great, many of the tee pads are sheets of steel and this was a snowy ice bowl event. B, he had never even played the course prior.

I lol'ed. :p When I'm grinding out a tournament I try not even look at anyone because like you say, I know I look like a psycho. I just can't keep all of the inner determination, and usually fatigue as well, from twitching and wrinkling my face between shots. My brain wants to be pleased with my good shots, pissed about the bad, determined for the next, calculating what goals I need or can hit, but more importantly and at my best, I'm consciously trying to wipe all that away and just focus on the one next thing ahead of me; finishing a walkout, deciding a shot, placing a mini, relaxing for a shot. That last one I've been getting better at but am gonna keep striving for because it's the big one.

Oh 2013 taught me a few things. My hot rounds never got any hotter but my horrendous rounds have nearly disappeared. I realized I play this game cause I love it not to be great so I quit practicing and just played. Coincidentally my rating jumped 30 points. So in hindsight 2013 taught me you gotta decide whether you want disc golf to be a competition or an out. I chose to use disc golf as an out from all the stresses that come with life and have never enjoyed the game better in the five years I've been playing in it.

As for 2014 we'll see. It's hard to predict considering I have recently made a career change, just purchased a house, and will be a father within a few months. My goal is just to be able to get a round in here and there but only time will tell.

Latest posts