• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Thoughts/2014 Goals

goals for 2014:
-practice putting every day
-field practice at least once a week
-compete more frequently
-consistently break 300 on controlled D, 375 max

-play 75 new courses this year
-play 2 new countries, 5 new states
-design a course

Ran two DGCR meetups, both successful and fun
Gained a tiny bit of max distance
Relatively established bag

Play a couple tournaments
Focus on improving putting
Run a couple more meetups

Keepin' it simple.

2013 brought me back to the sport after taking three year off.
this year i have already done more outside what i had done back home with field work, td my first event, played in more events in one year than i ever had.

i hoping to get that back hand that i never had.
td 2 local events this year with one of them for toys for tots.
play in atleast 4 c tier or better events.
Get my bag were i want it for disc selection. To much new plastic in my bag.

o yeah beat the pants of Ian and Streets!

. My brain wants to be pleased with my good shots, pissed about the bad, determined for the next, calculating what goals I need or can hit, but more importantly and at my best, I'm consciously trying to wipe all that away and just focus on the one next thing ahead of me;

i think last year at buff was when i really came to notice it. i knew you were always a pretty competitively focused person, but i remember somewhere through the first round in which i turned to see this, im gonna rip youre head off look, of intensity. must have been near the last few holes of the first round. i stopped playing as if i just wanted to see pure flights, to i just want to see us throwing pure flights. though the final putt of the first round was only 40ft or so up hill, i remember hitting it, and having such elation. we were both worn out from 54 holes tourny the day before and my putt wasnt really there for untill then. it set fire under me, and i started to share that intensity. 2nd round i was stepping up to every shot with such focus and determination, which translated to execution.
but, expectations are a terrible thing in my mind, something that will only let you down. unfortunately for me the next tourny i went into somewhere in the middle. i remember starting the round at devens somewhere in between wanting/believing i could win and just try and have fun. i started off playing smart and having fun. i was gaining momentum until hole 7, 4th to last hole. i let my emotions and expectations get the better of me, and practically DNFd. of course the second round was different, i played with a different perspective and goal in mind and i think by far had the best round of our card.

this year i want to bring the intensity and focus. ive learned to be able to shake off stupid mistakes and know i can only move forward from those mistakes. ive been really happy of late keeping the bag slow and controlled, and im ready to start playing very boring, consistent and high percentage golf, something this guy taught me. so cheers to you B, for introducing me to the sport and being the DG mentor that has brought me to the level of play im at. may 2014 be the break out season we've been practicing for.

2013 I practiced and played a bunch all winter to get ready to play the Memorial in az. Burned out by July and struggled the rest of the season. Still had fun just didn't play very well. Finished the year with my lowest rating ever.
2014 Goal is to play just for fun until March and then start practicing for the Montana Point Series. Hopefully be able to stay motivated through Portland Worlds and Montana State Championships in August. Shouldn't be difficult. The Portland courses look awesome and Montana is the best place Ive found for disc golf in the summer.

but, expectations are a terrible thing in my mind, something that will only let you down. unfortunately for me the next tourny i went into somewhere in the middle. i remember starting the round at devens somewhere in between wanting/believing i could win and just try and have fun. i started off playing smart and having fun.

Thanks man. I definitely went through a phase of expecting to much out of tournament rounds and it does get in your head. I think the opposite side of that coin is just playing enough of them where they get routine, which can be tough financially if one doesn't consistently cash, but it is what seems to have helped me turn a corner in competitive play. Some prodigies (no pun) go through this process very quickly, but I still think they have to go through it, for me it took until this year so 4 years of disc golf (3 years of tourneys) until I have been feeling consistently comfortable in competition.

Everyone has neves or fear in tourneys but I think with experience they are learned to be used positively. It keeps you alert, and reminds you to really focus and relax for those important 30 seconds where your disc is live. Once the positive results start trickling through more and more it becomes like a feedback loop, where past successes help keep you focused the next time.

The last few months I've said to myself at least a dozen times in a tourneys "I've come back from behind 2 strokes with 3 holes to play to win outright and take 260 bucks....this is nothing". Which is great but their is always someone out their with a stronger mantra "I've comeback final round 5 strokes to win an A tier and a grand." So to me it is just about building up that positive, results based confidence one step at a time. All the NT players ran right up the stairs but I'm happy to climb em one by one for another decade until I hit masters age.

2013 Lessons
Bad year...spent most of it trying to get better at rotating to my heel. A setback in my scores that is finally starting to show its due diligence.

Stop changing bag around. When I played my best golf over the last 12 years its been when I have had a consistent bag that doesn't change.

consistency > accuracy > distance....I have worked less on distance and more on consistent and accurate lines, mostly focusing on mids and putters.

A suggestion from notroman put me down a good path, learn to drive far and accurately with a putter. At the current time being it hasnt added distance but its added consistency on hitting my current max with greater accuracy.

2014 Goals
Am Worlds

Not crumble at Sandy Point again.....

At the beginning of April I will set my bag and will play with it the entire tournament season.

Bust out more courteousy violations. Sick and tired of people talking while others are on the tee, or groups walking up to a backup with their mouth flapping and someone is on the tee. And the bag fiddlers are just as frustrating. Sitting quiet and mostly still is not hard for 30sec. It's messed up that calling the rules out on someone messes with my head, I was raised in a no narcing type family.

Throw 54 or less at pickard and walnut ridge from the longs .

Greatly improve forehand drives

Beat Wadle heads up 3 rounds in a row

2013 for me was interesting. it is when i really took disc golf to heart. My average throws were maybe hitting 275 feet with my longer throws being in the 300 if i was lucky. i can now throw roc3's and saints 300 feet without thinking. i can throw terns 400 feet with a good throw. i cant do that everytime i would say evertime is 350-375. Also was the year of finding the disc. I think i found most of my discs that i will use for a long time. might add some more of the same discs to the bag to help with the seasoning in of the molds
in 2014 i would like to throw my terns 400-450 feet without an issue. putting can always be better. i need to settle with the discs that i have and get better with what i am throwing.

Finally have 5 identical putter, so practice putting which I've never done.
Add an x-step to drives.
Develop a FH out to at least 275 ft (it hurts).
Play in at least one tournament.
Not buy any discs, unless MVP comes out with a new mold.

2013 Lessons
Bust out more courteousy violations. Sick and tired of people talking while others are on the tee, or groups walking up to a backup with their mouth flapping and someone is on the tee. And the bag fiddlers are just as frustrating. Sitting quiet and mostly still is not hard for 30sec. It's messed up that calling the rules out on someone messes with my head, I was raised in a no narcing type family.

Perhaps your participation in this forum has developed in you the courage you require to be the card member you were meant to be. Best of luck.

1. Develop more accuracy.
2. Buy my second and third baskets.
3. Work on my course.

Perhaps your participation in this forum has developed in you the courage you require to be the card member you were meant to be. Best of luck.

these forums are for my trolling amusement only. and I am a great person to have on the card, I keep the mood light and jovial.

1007 would be a good and attainable goal this year. That'd make me very happy.

That's 2014/2. :)

2013: Backhand vastly improved by finally discing down. Putting was stagnant. Forehand gained a little distance but a lot of accuarcy.

2014: Get backhand distance from current 370' to 400'. Improve at the 150' approach shot. Practice putt more (My putting is fairly strong but could definitely improve. Continue to work on accuracy with forehand. Play a few sanctioned tourneys

I had a rather disappointing year, but had fun doing it. I started the year at 936 and wanted to finish at 950 with no sub 900 rated rounds. I knew it would be tough, but I thought there was a chance. Due to two abysmal tournaments, I ended up at 938 with 11 of my 68 rated rounds sub 900. I had a shot at winning the biggest tournament in the area in MA1, but fell flat in the finals and finished 4th.

Goals for this year are similar to last, but a little more aggressive. I really expect to get much better this year. I want to end the year at at least a 960 and actually shoot no sub 900 rounds. I also want to finish in the top 5% of either BG am championships, the am world championships, or the us am championships. The final and probably hardest goal is to find a girl that is accepting of my addiction...

Definitely want to be more consistent.

24v763b.jpg

Latest posts