• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 US Amateur Doubles Championship

True, but playing best shot will certainly help that a lot.

Just gotta get the "easy" holes and survive the hard ones.

I'll take this scorecard right now:

232453343344534224 = 60
I would take that score card for sure. Boggie free! I'd also could see this happening

233453333344534223 = 59
The birdies on 8 and 18 in doubles are very very doable. I'll check in on your progress when you make the turn at the ball field.

I would take that score card for sure. Boggie free! I'd also could see this happening

233453333344534223 = 59
The birdies on 8 and 18 in doubles are very very doable. I'll check in on your progress when you make the turn at the ball field.

18 is insanely hard with the new tee. Insanely.

It scores as a 4.5. 3 is crazy good.

And 8 is a bit hard with the new OB off to the left. You either have to throw a PERFECT drive or have a longer 2nd shot.

3 isn't that hard of a hole. Just gotta commit to not throwing a hyzer - gotta throw the straight disc off to the right.

7 should be interesting in best shot.

The absolute best round I could see is about 53. Which would be both players killing it.

18 is insanely hard with the new tee. Insanely.

It scores as a 4.5. 3 is crazy good.

And 8 is a bit hard with the new OB off to the left. You either have to throw a PERFECT drive or have a longer 2nd shot.

3 isn't that hard of a hole. Just gotta commit to not throwing a hyzer - gotta throw the straight disc off to the right.

7 should be interesting in best shot.

The absolute best round I could see is about 53. Which would be both players killing it.
wow has it been that long since i have been there? i didn't think 18's tee was that big of a change. i have played the hole with the mando left on the tree on the right and i think you are right, not being able to go right of that tree off the tee to get good distance probably does make that second shot to the sloping green much longer and much more difficult. especially considering the uphill lie. key here will be who ever goes first needs to make sure they throw a GREAT shot so the second person can still be aggressive on the tee shot AND upshot.

Also forgot about that little pocket of OB on the left side of 8. But with all the trees that have been lost on that hole i am still thinking 3 is prefered. I will play it Monday so i we will see how it plays out.

I aggree on hole 3's strategy but the execution is still required. i could live with a 3 there for sure. I would want the 2 but wouldnt be bummed with 3.

the new tee on 18 forces you to get over to the left to 3.

And the uphill lie makes you commit to your shot or you saw it off and go OB.

I played it as a 3 shot hole last year - sidearm, buzzz turnover, aviar hyzer.

Last year, the winning team's scores were (my assumptions on course scores, since I can't imagine a 42 at Kilborne and 58 at Eastway):

58 (Kilborne Alternate Shot)
42 (Eastway 6-6-6 format: Best Shot on 1-6, Alternate Shot on 7-12, Best Disc/Score on 13-18)
56 (Winthrop Gold, Best Shot)

156 Total

I imagine that Hornets Nest and Nevin will play significantly higher than that this year.

and Winthrop will score higher. last year was just distance - this year it's stroke and distance.

big difference

Last year's USDGC major was just distance, but they kept the stroke and distance rule for the Dubs. Jim and I got hurt at least twice on that front; I remember it (not so) fondly.

Last year's USDGC major was just distance, but they kept the stroke and distance rule for the Dubs. Jim and I got hurt at least twice on that front; I remember it (not so) fondly.

Yep. Dubs played stroke and distance last year.

Winthrop is looking good, played a rd today. McBeth, Nikko, Wysocki, and Feldbeard were all there practicing.

We will be putting together players packs for US Am Dubs at Icehouse (2100 South Blvd) in the upstairs room at 6pm tomorrow (Thursday). Come out and help !

I haven't been this excited in a long time for a tournament!

It's best shot (standard doubles).

Both throw from the tee. They choose the best lie and throw from there until the hole is completed.

Every year I bug them to change the name to PDGA standard names so you can direct people to the appropriate format and rules there.

We might shoot 20 over par at Nevin, but I don't care. Sunday at Winthrop is gonna be a blast. I've played it a number of times, but never in tournament play.

I want to play this course and tourney so bad next year....gotta get a game together by next spring, haha.

Just need to find a partner you work well with. Last few past champions werent the best individual players by a long shot...just worked well together. Im fact, the last three years I think my groups have had the highest average rating and finished 13, 11, and 3rd (behind by a mile). Dont tell Aaron but I stink at doubles...unless it is with a woman partner.

Arg! Left an old Red Firebird at Nevin when I played there last Sunday. Has my info on bottom around the circle. I know it's a long shot but if anybody on here found it I'll gladly pay for its return. This one was special, spent the longest time of any disc in my bag.

Latest posts