• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

I plan on attending and just renewed my membership today. There seems to be enough local tournaments from Aug through October to net me 500 points as long as I don't suck compared to when I played a couple years ago.

worlds 2015 is in battle creek, mi fyi
since you are right by there (i assume fromyour location) you could wait until then and really work on your game.

Not a bad idea. Battle Creek is a little under 80 miles or so down the road - depending on which part of Battle Creek we're talking about. ;) Yeah, I will almost certainly be there for that one.

honestly i went unprepared in 2007 and it wasnt that much fun getting my butt handed to me the whole time. much better to go witht he mindset that you can compete

This is where people are going to think I am a little weird...I don't really care how I would do at an event like that. So I get killed on the course - I wouldn't care. So long as I play my game well I'd be happy. For me, an event like that would be the experience. The oodles of people I could meet. I like meeting fellow DG'ers. I also like playing with people way better than me often times because I still have so much to learn.

Not only that but my brother used to live in the Twin Cities area so he might be able to get me hooked up with some free lodging. :thmbup:

-Dave

This is where people are going to think I am a little weird...I don't really care how I would do at an event like that. So I get killed on the course - I wouldn't care. So long as I play my game well I'd be happy.

ya i was raised on the mentality that 2nd place is the first loser.
but to each their own.

but to each their own.

Just goes to show it takes all kinds. Me, I have way to much stress in my life to think like that when I am participating in one of my hobbies. I'm just happy when I can get out and toss some plastic even if it's a tourney.

but to each their own.

If I had any chance of winning AM Worlds I would not be playing AM to begin with. Here in Denmark we are encouraged to move top Open if we are above 900 in rating (would not be much of an Open field if we waited until 980+).

But after having been to the last two AM Worlds it is going to take somewhat of a catastrophe to keep me away from it next year (or the years after that). Even if I am 100% certain that I am only there to participate and (attempt to) play my best.

Then you have to factor that the course needs to get expanded in the next under 365 days, who will be doing it Mike Snelson? Just like he was telling everyone a year and a half ago that last spring acorn would be shutdown for a major overhaul and it never happened and some miracle happened where the deal didnt happen.

I know Jim Beilby will need some help/input from someone outside of Bethel, I don't think Snelson would be the best option for that. He already has his hands full with everything else, and I'm not a fan of the course he has designed anyway. Maybe CK or Steve West will help out, who knows.

As for the acorn thing...the $ for those changes is still there. You're right though, it should've been kept quiet until it was closer to actually happening. The $ is just on hold for now. I'm not sure the reason why.

The courses being used for the Am Worlds are still being vetted and until we have the city's approval we're not locked in. I can tell you that North Valley in Inver Grove Heights, Kaposia in South Saint Paul, Oakwood in Cottage Grove, CP Adams in Hastings and Kenwood Trails in Lakeville are on the schedule.

Jim and Josh (Bethel designers) are in discussions with their University administrators, gaining approval for their expansion and subsequent inclusion in the 2014 Am Worlds. We've met with them and are happy with the additional holes they are proposing, and look forward to their expansion;

Acorn, initially asked to be one of the courses, will probably not be included due to Roseville's extended timeline on course improvements;

Bryant Lake has been petitioned to be included and the groundwork has been added as an option. Specific divisions may compete there;

As you may have read, HSSA is going to be under construction and will not be part of the course offering;

Lakeville in White Bear Lake is not solidified yet but is still in negotiations;

The one that may have everyone excited about, and we won't know until the first of the year if we get it, is to have the Spectacular Final Nine at Como Park in Saint Paul. There are a couple of additional hoops that we have to jump through but this is the venue that had almost 2000 spectators during the 2001 Pro Worlds, and it holds much promise to do the same for the 2014 Am Worlds.

I know Jim Beilby will need some help/input from someone outside of Bethel, I don't think Snelson would be the best option for that. He already has his hands full with everything else, and I'm not a fan of the course he has designed anyway. Maybe CK or Steve West will help out, who knows.

As for the acorn thing...the $ for those changes is still there. You're right though, it should've been kept quiet until it was closer to actually happening. The $ is just on hold for now. I'm not sure the reason why.

Thanks for the update... never too early to begin researching these course... which for me begins in 3... 2... 1... click!

The courses being used for the Am Worlds are still being vetted and until we have the city's approval we're not locked in. I can tell you that North Valley in Inver Grove Heights, Kaposia in South Saint Paul, Oakwood in Cottage Grove, CP Adams in Hastings and Kenwood Trails in Lakeville are on the schedule.

Jim and Josh (Bethel designers) are in discussions with their University administrators, gaining approval for their expansion and subsequent inclusion in the 2014 Am Worlds. We've met with them and are happy with the additional holes they are proposing, and look forward to their expansion;

Acorn, initially asked to be one of the courses, will probably not be included due to Roseville's extended timeline on course improvements;

Bryant Lake has been petitioned to be included and the groundwork has been added as an option. Specific divisions may compete there;

As you may have read, HSSA is going to be under construction and will not be part of the course offering;

Lakeville in White Bear Lake is not solidified yet but is still in negotiations;

The one that may have everyone excited about, and we won't know until the first of the year if we get it, is to have the Spectacular Final Nine at Como Park in Saint Paul. There are a couple of additional hoops that we have to jump through but this is the venue that had almost 2000 spectators during the 2001 Pro Worlds, and it holds much promise to do the same for the 2014 Am Worlds.

Afton State Park

Seems to be the closest state park for camping to the venues. Cabins sleep 5 or 6 for less than $60.00 a night. I think I'll be making reservations soon. I drug my camper to Emporia, but this is a touch further and I can split the cost with some buddies.

AndyJB-

My daughter is going to qualify for FJ4. She is 8 in December. How old is your girl?

Also, does anyone know what happens if only 1 person qualifies for a division? e.g. FJ4

what is this test everyone is talking about.

i haven't played a single event; don't care. i'd be in the lowest division over 18, i'm sure. i want to play, feel the heat, and i'm going nuts since i wanted to compete this year, but also wanted to feel better about my game first. didn't realize there aren't really any planned (and i'm too broke for the ones in the immediate future.) for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
LOL. Nothing about your post above mine. Sorry about that.

Snelson is the guy who's basically in charge of bringing Am Worlds to the Cities.

I'm interested to see how it all turns out.

Latest posts