• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

I was a spotter for some of the rounds. The holes I spotted on either had out of bounds that weren't really relevant or they had drop zones. So I never had to make that call. Even so if any rules questions came up, and they did, I knew that ultimately it is a group decision.

I was a spotter for some of the rounds. The holes I spotted on either had out of bounds that weren't really relevant or they had drop zones. So I never had to make that call. Even so if any rules questions came up, and they did, I knew that ultimately it is a group decision.

Thanks for coming out and spotting. It is much appreciated. I wish we would have had a few more spotters on a couple of the courses.

correct me if im wrong on this but doesnt $4 of kapoisia fees go to his shop? i need some verification on that

Not sure how much goes to "the Shop" I do know that the city charges him quite a bit to have the "pro shop" there.

Not sure how much goes to "the Shop" I do know that the city charges him quite a bit to have the "pro shop" there.

still probably much less than any brick and mortar business would be taxed yearly considering its just basically a retrofitted shipping container. Hell on sight DG shop with little overhead seems like one actually winning DG business'

still probably much less than any brick and mortar business would be taxed yearly considering its just basically a retrofitted shipping container. Hell on sight DG shop with little overhead seems like one actually winning DG business'

I think it was around $20,000 a year... might have been $15,000 I remember talking to him about it and thinking it seemed like a lot. I think the city also gets a cut of the sales.

I think it was around $20,000 a year... might have been $15,000 I remember talking to him about it and thinking it seemed like a lot. I think the city also gets a cut of the sales.

i thought $1 went to the city. $4 went to the shop? just want i heard, wanted some verification.

At least the spotter had been coached. The only rule with spotters is whether they have been formally deputized by the TD to make rulings or are already certified officials. None of the spotters were deputized for Am Worlds so the most they could do was find your disc or point to where it went out. However, the group decision matters in this case if there's a disagreement. If the spotter is deputized, then their call stands.

What? Unless you are a certified official, you can't make any rulings in sanctioned tournaments. Regardless if the TD deputizes you.

Then what's the point of being an official other than A/NT tier qualifying?

Last sentence of Competition Manual 1.11D:
The Tournament Director may empower non-certified officials to act as spotters for a specific spotting purpose. The ruling of such a spotter supersedes the ruling of the group.

Last sentence of Competition Manual 1.11D:
The Tournament Director may empower non-certified officials to act as spotters for a specific spotting purpose. The ruling of such a spotter supersedes the ruling of the group.

Ok that clears it up, spotting only. I thought you were implying all rules.

So if all refunds were to be handled by the PDGA, I'm sure that also means the Players Packs for players that had to drop at the last second.

When should I expect that to be mailed? Anybody have any clue? Or do I need to go on a giant rage fest to figure it out? No contact from the PDGA at all regarding this matter

Question about placing. I remember it being said that in the semis a player from the B pool wouldn't be able to jump pools for final placing since we played different courses (The best finish from a B pool player would be 76). 75 players made the a pool (I believe, I don't see the pool assignments any more). I bombed my round in the semis to finish dfl in the A pool, which should have been 75th minus any DNFs, yet I'm listed as 84th. I realize it doesn't make much difference, a few points maybe and some minor bragging rights, because 75th sounds so much more BA than 84th... :D

Question about placing. I remember it being said that in the semis a player from the B pool wouldn't be able to jump pools for final placing since we played different courses (The best finish from a B pool player would be 76). 75 players made the a pool (I believe, I don't see the pool assignments any more). I bombed my round in the semis to finish dfl in the A pool, which should have been 75th minus any DNFs, yet I'm listed as 84th. I realize it doesn't make much difference, a few points maybe and some minor bragging rights, because 75th sounds so much more BA than 84th... :D

It went back and forth for a while but when the placing was correct us B poolers didn't have ratings for the finals round. Maybe they couldn't find a way to do both?

What it said was "Players in this group [the B pool] can improve their final rank but cannot advance to final four."

I guess some of those B-poolers improved their final rank at your expense.

And that makes sense how? Kenwood plays about 2 throws easier - players on an easier course can pass up those playing a harder course? And maybe it wasn't official, but I swear I saw it written that players in the B pool wouldn't be able to jump pools after the semis - either in this thread or on facebook somewhere, but I suppose I could have misinterpreted what you posted... Again, not really pissed or anything, just curious.

Funniest post I've seen in a while.

I was reading this thread to see what the issues were. The PDGA Board was discussing how this tournament was an embarrassment to the org and what to do in the future. So they've heard the complaints.

I've found that good prizes make up for a poorly run tournament. A really well run tournament makes up for weak prizes. If you're going to charge $225 or whatever for a trophy-only, and then be giving out player packs that you claim are sponsored, the player party should be serving steak.

Am Worlds has gotten away with neither good prizes nor good organization, year after year. The combined Pro/Ams have been pretty good, probably because they were making it top notch for the pros and that just spilled over to the Am side. The stand-alones have always been lame money grabs.

You just have to know that going in.

Hmm, funny to me, when you read all the chatter on Facebook, there was nothing but praise (from the same 10-12 people) that helped volunteer or run the event.

There are so many players complaints in regards to the shoddy handling of this event that I feel they should all go in a book, be handed to tournament directors that are going to run major events and call it "How to Not Run a Quality Event" by the PDGA and Minnesota Tournament Directors.

Honestly, I was really upset that I had an emergency happen, had to cancel my hotel, my car and my plane ticket because I wanted to play. After the multitude of responses that I've seen saying it was a week long C/B tier, I am glad that the emergency happened.

Any idea for those of use who were un(Fortunate) enough to not be able to make it will be sent out? I missed the full refund by three days so I would like to know when I can expect my players pack to arrive.

Not a single one of the golfers I know IRL were happy with this event. This was the conversation I had with a good buddy who spent 2000 grand on the entire week long event just in travel and rental fee's.

"How was worlds?"
"Courses were awesome, the town was pretty decent. The handling of the event was more like going on a date with an incredibly attractive female that you later find out has a penis"
"So surprising?"
"Surprising in a manner that was not pleasant. At all."

Latest posts