• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Discraft Ace Race

Hello everyone I just signed up for a local Discraft Ace Race in August and I'm curious as to what the disc will be. Anyone have any insider info? What's everyone hoping to get? I've heard rumor of a BuzzzOS :clap::thmbup:

Nope. It's a Buzzz SOS

We've embedded a minimum of 10 billion chainsaw toting nanobots in the rim of our new Buzzz SOS. So when you're stuck behind branches and leaves just pull the Buzzz SOS from its protective sleeve (included) and let those little lumberjacks cut a clear path for your chain-smashing approach. Best of all, since the Buzzz mold is already PDGA approved, the Buzzz SOS is too!

Ahh april fools in july....

That's Innova April Fool's Quiver is at least a couple of years old.
I just pulled it outta my @$$ in response to this Ace Race Speculation thread.

Looking at what they've done thus far:
• 2003: Breeze ...US mid
• 2004: Glide ...slightly faster US mid
• 2005: Slipstream ...I believe it was a mildly OS fairway w/thumb groove
• 2006: Meteor ...US mid
• 2007: Impact ...slower US fairway
• 2008: Nebula ...OS mid (Buzzz OS Jr)
• 2009: Focus ...OS putter
• 2010: Hornet ...OS mid
• 2011: Zeppelin ...oversize P/A
• 2012: Zombee ...stable fairway
• 2013: Mantis ...OS fairway in Ti Ace Race garb, significantly less stability when released for production in Big Z plastic (supposedly they tweaked the mold after feedback from Ace Races because the OS discs weren't what they were shooting for).*

I see no real pattern... seems like they'll try anything. The only thing they haven't tried yet is a true distance driver (kinda doubt they'd throw one out there as an Ace Race prototype).

* That's what a Discraft representative (didn't catch his name) told me when we got to chatting at Am Nats. Has anyone measured and compared? Kinda makes me wonder: Ace Race discs have always been OK for sanctioned events after the production discs were PDGA approved. The Mantis has been approved, but if they tweaked the mold as he told me, I wouldn't think the Ti discs would necessarily be PDGA apparoved, unless they spcifically submitted them to the PDGA. If they did, wouldn't they have to submit under a different name (maybe 2013 Ace Race)??. :confused:

Does anyone have actual facts on that?

Last edited:
yup its a longer teebird, and there making the baskets recommended length farther this year

FTFY
yup its a longer teebird, and they're making the baskets recommended length farther this year

What's "a longer TeeBird," the production Mantis?

...or are you speculating that the 2014 disc will be a longer TeeBird?

Last edited:
no. have you ever thrown the mantis?
Yes. Big Z went pretty far, fairly neutral stability....quite a bit less stability than a Champ TeeBird, about as stable as a semi-beat DX, but with more glide, maybe a bit faster too.

Ti's were decidely OS.

Yes. Big Z went pretty far, fairly neutral stability....quite a bit less stability than a Champ TeeBird, about as stable as a semi-beat DX, but with more glide, maybe a bit faster too.

Ti's were decidely OS.

ill agree with this

I'd prefer a putter but would be psyched for the Buzzz OS as well. Who knows though?

1) That's exactly what I think the Nebula is.
2) Theoretically, isn't the Wasp an OS Buzzz? Tried a brand new Z Wasp once, but to be honest, it wasn't particulary more OS than a Buzzz, despite what the #'s say (perhaps slightly more).... which is why I bag a Nebula and not a Wasp.

I thought I read somewhere that the Wasp was released first, then wanting a more neutral complement to it, retooled to have less stability and released as the Buzzz, hence the early "Wasp tooled Buzzzes."

Can someone please confirm?

2) Theoretically, isn't the Wasp an OS Buzzz? Tried a brand new Z Wasp once, but to be honest, it wasn't particulary more OS than a Buzzz, despite what the #'s say (perhaps slightly more).... which is why I bag a Nebula and not a Wasp.

Can someone please confirm?

Well theoretically the buzzz is a WaspSS.

I think Discraft needs to scrap all of their mids except the Buzzz. Release the Buzzz OS and rework the Buzzz SS to be more understable. So all you have is the Buzzzes.

Ok the Comet can stay lol. They should make a Comet OS and SS too.

I think Discraft needs to scrap all of their mids except the Buzzz. Release the Buzzz OS and rework the Buzzz SS to be more understable. So all you have is the Buzzzes.

cant take the wasp from me. if that ever comes true im going to hoard 100 flat heavies

Boy, as a Discraft mid fan, I hope you are kidding. I bag a Comet, Buzzz Ti, Wasp, Nebula and a Stratus. I think they are all very servicable discs.