• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Mn Majestic

Last year pro purse $14,365 (72 Players)
This year pro purse $9,478 (83 Players)

Not trying to accuse anyone but what is the deal? Not as much sponsorship/added cash, as much disc goes on in the twin cities and how many disc stores are popping up there I figured it wouldve only been bigger this year.

Not an excuse or an explanation, but something to point out. Sponsors are going to be hard pressed to fully support the Majestic and Am Worlds back to back. These tournaments are a little more than a month a part. Not to mention that we also have a ton of other regionally big tournaments.

Maybe the way to go is strictly trophy only for everything but the top pros. I know the advanced field was well paid down in merchandise and maybe that is where some of the money went. Look at how MN Am Championship went. Trophies only and people walked away with a wonderful (but if you think about it, relatively inexpensive) player's pack. I heard nothing but good things about that tournament, and it is only in its third year.

Not an excuse or an explanation, but something to point out. Sponsors are going to be hard pressed to fully support the Majestic and Am Worlds back to back. These tournaments are a little more than a month a part.
This is pretty much why I posted, I completely forgot about Am Worlds which I'm sure sucked up a lot of resources. Love the courses and overall disc golf scene up there, disappointing to see people unhappy with the Majestic even if it is just the select group of touring pros. But then again it rarely seems like they are very satisfied with payouts unless there is a ridiculous amount of added cash.

Not MN Majestic related, but figured I'd ask since I didn't see anything in the 14' tour standards document on pdga.com

A-tier has a min 2k added cash I relize, but is there a min. 1st place payout as well?
Always thought it was 1k.
Thanks to whomever can answer.

This is pretty much why I posted, I completely forgot about Am Worlds which I'm sure sucked up a lot of resources. Love the courses and overall disc golf scene up there, disappointing to see people unhappy with the Majestic even if it is just the select group of touring pros. But then again it rarely seems like they are very satisfied with payouts unless there is a ridiculous amount of added cash.

Keep in mind that some of these pros, I did not care to find out which, just got back from the Japan Open the weekend before. I am sure they were spoiled over there.

Also, it is the Minnesota Majestic, meaning a Minnesota tournament. The idea is to bring in the best in the state. For better or worse, this is what MN Am Championship has become, which could eventually lead to the death of the Majestic.

Not MN Majestic related, but figured I'd ask since I didn't see anything in the 14' tour standards document on pdga.com

A-tier has a min 2k added cash I relize, but is there a min. 1st place payout as well?
Always thought it was 1k.
Thanks to whomever can answer.

no minimum for first.

Hmmm interesting mn ams is ran by a much smaller retailer Tom Marcus, who's shop is under 5 miles from the final 9. He does a great job with his events and doubles series, mn ams is a great a tier am tourney. Tom Marcus needs to be running this event, plain and simple. I like the guys over at gggt but this was not up to par with the last 2 majestic they ran. They had way more fundraiser discs before, better flymarts as well. There were people upset about the lack of merch at kaposia yesterday and I was one of them. Other retailers such as everyday disc golf, airborn and disc life should of been allowed to be there but guessing Charlie either told them no or he wanted too much money. In reguards to the am payouts, remember Charlie is not paying retail on the Merch that the ams are paying full money on so he's making profit off of the ams of he is not putting extra cash up.

no minimum for first.

Just to add to this a little, the PDGA doesn't actually have any requirements at all for how the payout itself is distributed. The *recommended* payout depth is 45% of the field, but the particular curvature on how the payout is divided actually is up to the TD.

Last edited:
The Majestic 2 years ago was awesome! There were a bunch of big name pros, multiple flymarts with great stuff, and payouts were good!

Last year...payouts were still good, a few top pros played, but the flymart was GGGT

This year...payouts sucked, still got some top pros to come out, and the flymart was GGGT in the back of a truck?????

I'm sensing a pattern. The Majestic seems to be dying, or is in need of a serious makeover. I bet next year Cale is the only top pro to play otherwise.

The Majestic 2 years ago was awesome! There were a bunch of big name pros, multiple flymarts with great stuff, and payouts were good!

Last year...payouts were still good, a few top pros played, but the flymart was GGGT

This year...payouts sucked, still got some top pros to come out, and the flymart was GGGT in the back of a truck?????

I'm sensing a pattern. The Majestic seems to be dying, or is in need of a serious makeover. I bet next year Cale is the only top pro to play otherwise.
Guarantee no top women show up at all.

The same trend happened during Tim Gill's last few years running it. New blood for better or worse maybe in order here. It could be any combination of title sponsor or TD, but some kind of change will bring people back who are now on the fence.

The courses speak for themselves and people really look forward to multiple day tournaments. This year, unfortunately, was kind of a perfect storm. MN Am Championship was multiple rounds, multiple days at Kaposia, and Am Worlds share some of the same courses as the Majestic. Three big tournaments in three months; kind of hard making one more special than another unless you are willing to bend over backwards as a sponsor, take a loss, and go all in to ensure that player's have a great experience.

Whatever needs to be done, look back at 2009, that was an incredibly successful year.

Latest posts