• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Thrower's Choice Awards -- WINNERS:

I also voted for the Envy and thought it would be a sure thing...

Until I remembered that I just don't see MVP or Axiom out on he course and especially not in tournaments.

Until I remembered that I just don't see MVP or Axiom out on he course and especially not in tournaments.

dr-who-rain.gif

Hopefully 2015 is full of sunshine. I have the hope! :D They certainly win for most new stuff produced in one year. MVP/Axiom has put out this year more new discs than some companies have entire lineups.

Last edited:
The first day that I put the Thunderbird in my bag, I aced with it--- so I had to buy another one.

I am not at all surprised that the Thunderbird won this....actually I'd have been shocked if it hadn't. Let's see, it is:
  • Made by the largest manufacturer
  • Instantly adopted into the bag of the #1 player.
  • A driver (let's be honest - we all love our drivers so much)
  • At a speed & stability that can have a lot of uses to various skill level players.

Now - is this the best new disc - who knows...it is way to early to tell that. To be honest, I'd bet most people who voted in the poll (or even on here) haven't thrown most of the new discs this year as there are so many.

For those that have been around for a few years, I am curious. Go back a few years to say 2009, 2010, & 2011. What were the "hot" discs that were released that year? Looking back, are they still the popular molds from those years?

With that said...I will say this - one throw and I knew it was going in my bag. Not a ton of discs do that.

glad to see you think for yourself :thmbup:

You're good a trolling sir. But all I was saying is that the disc isn't JUNK, as you so eloquently put it. I've thrown it a handful of rounds and am still making mind up on the whether it's a disc for me. That has nothing to do with what I was saying. That I'll take the word of a 3x Champ,that the Thunderbird isn't junk, as opposed to your internet opinion. Sorry if that makes you mad, bro.

Innova is just weird about mold approvals/names... like the 3 series are not "new approved" discs so they don't come up on the PDGA as new molds. Here is the background on "T"bird. "approved 1999" initially......

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85889&highlight=thunderbird

The PDGA rules are weird about this. The wing of a disc can be drastically altered without having to be re-approved (Innova Beast) but changing the name of the disc with no additional alterations to the mold (Vibram 420/Solace) requires re-approval.

yeah that made it a little tricky when trying to put together "new discs" for 2014 so I just decided to keep it simple and go with only those which actually went through the PDGA approval process throughout 2014.

I'm a stubborn old man type of golfer (I'm not actually old) in that I like what I've used forever and haven't made any effort in years to try new molds to add to my bag. I'll throw new stuff for kicks and giggles occasionally, but that's about it. I wouldn't be a good voter for this award, cuz I don't really try new discs. But the thunderbird went into my bag immediately, and I started hording a couple of different versions (proto stars, Aussie metal flakes, the McBeth 3xs) immediately after I threw one because they are amazing. So given how much I hate throwing new discs, for them to stick immediately means its a pretty spectacular mold. Its a big winner in my book. The last new mold I started bagging was when the Destroyers came out... I'm pretty stubborn about my bag.

If…

But see, he didn't do that. He bagged the Thunderbird. So I'll take his opinion over yours.

I don't really put much stock in what McBeth bags. It seems to me like he's a pretty shrewd guy from a business/finance/marketing standpoint. Probably more came down to this disc will do an acceptable job of replacing his PDs and he gets to cash a paycheck for them. Plenty of other pros just bag what they like, McBeth seems pretty willing to advertise new molds when it benefits his bottom line. Not being critical at all, just observing.

I don't really put much stock in what McBeth bags. It seems to me like he's a pretty shrewd guy from a business/finance/marketing standpoint. Probably more came down to this disc will do an acceptable job of replacing his PDs and he gets to cash a paycheck for them. Plenty of other pros just bag what they like, McBeth seems pretty willing to advertise new molds when it benefits his bottom line. Not being critical at all, just observing.

Of course. Its only McBeth. :doh::wall: