• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 in Minnesota

Major redesign and upgrade at Acorn once the brush has been cleared by the environmental team working there to remove invasive species like buckthorn. Should be done soon if not already.

I like the potential for a cone basket design to be even better than chain baskets but it needs to be done better than the original design. Nubs on the baskets for example.

No idea, but the hole 2 teepad is a deathtrap...

I have been teeing off from the sidewalk for a few years now or just throwing stationary from the pad.

Acorn is one of my favorite courses solely based off of memories I have playing there. When my parents got me into disc golf as a child we frequented Acorn weekly. It will be getting a well deserved face lift and I hope the vandals don't mark it up too bad! Seems like the past couple of years the tagging and trash at the course has gotten worse.

Major redesign and upgrade at Acorn once the brush has been cleared by the environmental team working there to remove invasive species like buckthorn. Should be done soon if not already.

Very cool! When I played there last week things looked pretty well cleared out and cut down. Excited to see the final product! I will keep my ears open for a clean up day or two, to help out anyway I can. Had a lot of fun working on Lakewood for an afternoon!

I have been teeing off from the sidewalk for a few years now or just throwing stationary from the pad.

Acorn is one of my favorite courses solely based off of memories I have playing there. When my parents got me into disc golf as a child we frequented Acorn weekly. It will be getting a well deserved face lift and I hope the vandals don't mark it up too bad! Seems like the past couple of years the tagging and trash at the course has gotten worse.

I stand and deliver forehand on hole 2, out of fear of rolling my already compromised left ankle. I didn't discover Acorn until 2007 but I frequent her often. Lakewood Hills followed by Acorn with a cool down at Hansen is pretty much my ideal day of disc. As for the vandals... The sport is becoming cool, so the dirtbags come with that territory. People apparently learned nothing from the Ham Lake debacle...

Hole 2 as it currently exists will likely disappear in the new layout which is being designed to reduce interference with pathways where possible.

What exactly was the main reason for closing Ham Lake? I don't remember seeing too much trash or vandalism really. Were kids chopping down more trees or something?

What exactly was the main reason for closing Ham Lake? I don't remember seeing too much trash or vandalism really. Were kids chopping down more trees or something?

I have friends in Ham Lake and the story was there was racist/Anti-Semitic imagery drawn on all the signs/baskets/garbage cans.

Confession time: I am the one who wrote "GAY!" on the sign by old hole 10 saying that the back 9 were removed due to vandalism. I was young/filled with angst due to the awesomely technical back 9 being gone...

I admit that we are definitely blessed compared to other areas. In some places a course like Plymouth Creek would be worshiped.

As for Elm, it is not about tees. I hate to say this about my home course, but it is boring AND frustrating. I have 410 foot power, which means that only when it is extremely accurate do I have a birdie attempt. Getting that distance but being 40 to 70 feet or more wide is just as far from the basket as someone who only throws 330-350. Therefore, such a long course really only comes down to wide open second shots.

Also, with it being so wide open, someone who has 450 foot power or more has such a huge advantage that it is almost not even competitive. Unless you are a horrible putter, there are such few spots to give up strokes, but if you do not have 450 foot power, there are even fewer spots to make up strokes. Essentially someone who has more power but has just above a mediocre day can beat out a shorter player having a good, almost great day.

While shortening up holes may give me and others more birdie opportunities, it does not address the fact that almost every hole is open. The only fun and or challenging holes are also the ones that it is the easiest to lose discs on (Hole 4, 5, 10-12, and 14).

What Elm needs are more holes in the woods. Unfortunately I do not think it is possible because Elm is also a park reserve and carving out and having a potentially destructive activity in the woods (discs hitting and damaging trees) goes against the concept of a park reserve.

HOWEVER, if Three Rivers can be talked into it, either adding more holes to make 27 or 36 (two 18s) or removing those repetitive holes, Elm Creek can definitely be the jewel of the Westside. Then you will see me stop complaining about the Eastside.

At least some of the trees are getting bigger :|

I love/hate elm.

Nope, not changing them a bit. I used to think the cones would push people away but it couldn't be farther from the truth

I have no problems with cones at Hansen or Moir, but they better not be starting a trend anywhere else. I hate cones with a passion; robbed me of at least three aces and untold birdies and par saves. However, I rarely play Moir or Hansen competitively, so an occasional round with cones for nostalgia sake can be fun (or at least tolerable because of the cones).

I have no problems with cones at Hansen or Moir, but they better not be starting a trend anywhere else. I hate cones with a passion; robbed me of at least three aces and untold birdies and par saves. However, I rarely play Moir or Hansen competitively, so an occasional round with cones for nostalgia sake can be fun (or at least tolerable because of the cones).

The cones add to the challenge. I typically finish a round here with 33 strokes here but I bet I would average in the high 20s if Hansen had DGA Mach Vs or Chainstars...

Nope, not changing them a bit. I used to think the cones would push people away but it couldn't be farther from the truth
Too bad because with the proper redesign, they would have a chance to become an advanced standard better than chain baskets having better radial symmetry.

Well for the most part if your playing Hansen competitively you have a partner there, whom you probably have never seen at a pdga event before who can shoot unreal scores and bang 40 ft cone putts! Cones were mental for me, I actually shortened my putting routine up by a few seconds to not let them get in my head or overthink the putt.

Well for the most part if your playing Hansen competitively you have a partner there, whom you probably have never seen at a pdga event before who can shoot unreal scores and bang 40 ft cone putts! Cones were mental for me, I actually shortened my putting routine up by a few seconds to not let them get in my head or overthink the putt.

Could not be more true.

Normally leagues out there run on Sundays when I have church or in the evenings which conveniently seem to be the same evenings my boys have Cub Scouts.

One time I was able to sneak out for a mixed doubles. The first round I played absolute horse-you-know-what and depended on my partner to pick up most of the slack. Comparatively we did poorly at only -3. The second round I finally found my shots and we played better as a pair. We banged out eight straight birdies and finished that round at -10 (out of 13 holes). At -13 we still placed fourth and won only enough to cover our fee.

Via CRDGC Facebook group--

DanS:February 27 at 5:01pm

The Coon Rapids Disc Golf Club (CRDGC) is open to all Disc Golf Enthusiasts who represent positive passion and enthusiasm for the sport of Disc Golf. We will become the caretakers of the new Coon Rapids Disc Golf Course which will begin its construction in fall of 2015. We share our passion through the education of written and unspoken rules, ownership of our course and others. We will share positivity through a beloved recreational activity that is fit for people of all ages, skill levels and abilities.
Cool!