• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 in Minnesota

timj5304

Double Eagle Member
Well after an uneventful last couple season in Minnesota what do we have in store for next year opening? I know of red ribbon pines but let's hope to see some others within the St. Cloud to iowa border area pop up. Since 2011 I can't think of much outside of Kenwood trails, Mathew creek and Zimmerman to open of note :(

On the flip side what courses are in danger of getting pulled. Most of us saw the writing on the wall for ham lake in 2011 when the back holes got pulled. I am concerned about oakwood, family Christ church which had stolen baskets this year and of course silverview which most of us thought was gone 2 years ago.

Here are some large cities that have great land for a course that do not support any currently. Forest lake, for that matter anywhere on hwy 8 all the way to Taylor's Falls where we have no courses. Hugo, Lino Lakes, Shoreview, Eagan, Minnetonka.

Well after an uneventful last couple season in Minnesota what do we have in store for next year opening? I know of red ribbon pines but let's hope to see some others within the St. Cloud to iowa border area pop up. Since 2011 I can't think of much outside of Kenwood trails, Mathew creek and Zimmerman to open of note :(

I haven't heard much about Red Ribbon Pines... Any info that can be shared? I would assume there's a BRP tie-in there, or Ray's involved?

Eventually the Elk River course will close I think. With Zimmermans course opening up and being better IMO, that course hasn't seen much use. Probably won't close for a few years or until it's vandalized but one to keep an eye on

It's a good beginner course, open and not a lot of chanced to lose a disc unless a shanked drive in water. Courses like that are vital to the game

You have no idea how desperately the north-west suburbs needs a quality 18 hole course. Elm Creek does not count because it is a drive-approach-putt-repeat course, plus it gets pulled for six months out of the year. All of the best Twin Cities courses, the 18 or more holes, are on the East Side.

I teach in Saint Cloud now, so I can hit up Cavalry and Sportsman Hill on regular basis, but I live in Maple Grove and desperately need something more than a few small 9 and 12 hole courses close to my house.

Here are some large cities that have great land for a course that do not support any currently. Forest lake, for that matter anywhere on hwy 8 all the way to Taylor's Falls where we have no courses. Hugo, Lino Lakes, Shoreview, Eagan, Minnetonka.

These places do not NEED courses. Do not get me wrong, it would be nice to have more options, but as I already mentioned, there is a large section of the suburbs currently being neglected with quite a large player base growing.

Cities with land that could do something would be Maple Grove, Dayton, Corcoran, Plymouth, Ramsey, and Champlin.

Lol whatever scott! Your just asking for all the courses to be in your area vs mine! Tons of players all over but prob the lack of players there are zero courses for 20 miles over there. At least there is elm creek in maple grove and some dinkers in between. The northeast burbs have nothing from lochness to Linwood twp to Lakewood hills.

Acorn renovation should be done in 2015. Still very outside chance for Battle Creek but if it comes along it may not happen until 2016.

You have no idea how desperately the north-west suburbs needs a quality 18 hole course. Elm Creek does not count because it is a drive-approach-putt-repeat course, plus it gets pulled for six months out of the year. All of the best Twin Cities courses, the 18 or more holes, are on the East Side.

I teach in Saint Cloud now, so I can hit up Cavalry and Sportsman Hill on regular basis, but I live in Maple Grove and desperately need something more than a few small 9 and 12 hole courses close to my house.

True about elm being boring as heck if you can't throw 475 ft. It's pretty obvious that it would be nice to get some extra courses but we are spoiled overall. Some areas have a course and that is All.

Having legit blue or white tees/pins installed at Elm would be a nice improvement if Three Rivers could be persuaded to do it.

Having legit blue or white tees/pins installed at Elm would be a nice improvement if Three Rivers could be persuaded to do it.

I admit that we are definitely blessed compared to other areas. In some places a course like Plymouth Creek would be worshiped.

As for Elm, it is not about tees. I hate to say this about my home course, but it is boring AND frustrating. I have 410 foot power, which means that only when it is extremely accurate do I have a birdie attempt. Getting that distance but being 40 to 70 feet or more wide is just as far from the basket as someone who only throws 330-350. Therefore, such a long course really only comes down to wide open second shots.

Also, with it being so wide open, someone who has 450 foot power or more has such a huge advantage that it is almost not even competitive. Unless you are a horrible putter, there are such few spots to give up strokes, but if you do not have 450 foot power, there are even fewer spots to make up strokes. Essentially someone who has more power but has just above a mediocre day can beat out a shorter player having a good, almost great day.

While shortening up holes may give me and others more birdie opportunities, it does not address the fact that almost every hole is open. The only fun and or challenging holes are also the ones that it is the easiest to lose discs on (Hole 4, 5, 10-12, and 14).

What Elm needs are more holes in the woods. Unfortunately I do not think it is possible because Elm is also a park reserve and carving out and having a potentially destructive activity in the woods (discs hitting and damaging trees) goes against the concept of a park reserve.

HOWEVER, if Three Rivers can be talked into it, either adding more holes to make 27 or 36 (two 18s) or removing those repetitive holes, Elm Creek can definitely be the jewel of the Westside. Then you will see me stop complaining about the Eastside.

Champlin definitely has a lot of space... As does Brooklyn Park. Also, my old man has 480 acres in Hinckley and I am trying to talk him into letting me build a 9 hole. 150 acres were strip mined by a gravel company so there are already some sweet elevation changes. I will obviously be letting you all know if this plan comes to fruition.

From what I've heard up here... Spirits bottom 18 will get finished. Hopefully the 'championship' course near the top will get started.

LSC (Miller Creek) is looking at a 9 to 12 hole redesign as well.

On the flip side what courses are in danger of getting pulled. Most of us saw the writing on the wall for ham lake in 2011 when the back holes got pulled. I am concerned about oakwood, family Christ church which had stolen baskets this year and of course silverview which most of us thought was gone 2 years ago.

I would love to get a course in the Shoreview area (other than the Bethel one). I live in Brooklyn Park now but grew up in Shoreview and find myself heading to Lakewood and Acorn more often than not. Lots of great land with potential for an nice 18 hole course. I would be highly interested/motivated working with someone to make that happen and bring a plan to the city. I always thought that Sucker Lake Park had nice potential for a course (technically Vadnais Heights).

I would hope the new cones are an improved design versus trying to duplicate the existing models.

Acorn renovation should be done in 2015. Still very outside chance for Battle Creek but if it comes along it may not happen until 2016.

I have just seen reference to Acorn getting a face lift. Is the layout changing? Or just need teepads. signage, etc?

I happen to like the current cones for the simple fact that they are solely responsible for helping me become an accurate putter. The common analogy is "like trying to putt through a mailbox slot" but I feel like if I can make putts on those turds, I can make putts anywhere else.

Latest posts