• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pro Worlds

I agree. I've played Linbrook a bunch of times and it is a fantastic course. Would be an awesome test for the pros. Although being rough around the edges would probably upset a lot of people, unfortunately.

I guess so. I think Linbrook was going to be used when it was on schedule to have 18 baskets in. But politics stopped the back nine from ever getting finished/started. It's a shame because it would have been a great test for the Pros.

I don't think the Parks department will let concrete pads be installed at Moraine. I may be wrong.

Got to play both Deer Lakes and Moraine a few weeks ago. From a design and fairway cutting/implementation standpoint, Moraine is superior. I thought 6 and 10 were great multi-throw holes executed perfectly. Effective landing zones leaving well earned opportunites for clean looks at the second shots. For my likes; Moraine actually has fairways that are a smidge too open/forgiving. Deer Lakes is the opposite; several of the multi-throw holes have lots of smaller/random trees (1, 5, 9 and especially 14) that were left leaving inconsistent or random landing zones for shots. Too many fluke trees.

Late to the game on this thread, but I thought I'd add my comments on Deer Lakes (blue tees) based on almost 100 rounds over the past five years.

HOLE 1: There's a little randomness in your landing area stance (i.e., a good shot could put your against a tree trunk), but the tee shot to the landing area and the landing area to the green are fair challenges.
HOLE 3: Flags are marked for some drainage improvements!
HOLE 5: Yeah, it's a somewhat fluky putter shot. A couple early trees did come down a year ago, though, but there's not really an alley that I expect to hit. When a shot leaves my hand, I still sometimes can't really tell if it's going to get through or get knocked down.
HOLE 8: Logs are in place for the park to build a mound for the green to make the hole a little more interesting. Grass has grown in over the past year or two to make it a little nicer.
HOLE 9: Phenomenal hole. Fluky if you go the left on the approach to shoot down the cliff (which I sometimes do), but there is a nice fairway. The approach to the D-pin has a dozen trees in a patch that interfere, but otherwise the hole should probably be a gold-level par 4 with pros.
HOLE 11: I have the most fairness-related qualms with this hole, although I still like the hole overall. I throw a turnover shot off the tee, and I find getting past the trees in front of the ravine to be a matter of luck (and getting an unlucky kick left most often means a bogey). The trees are about 250-300' out, and it's just not realistic to aim to thread gaps that far out.
HOLE 13: There used to be a skinny tree on the hillside in the middle of the main left gap. I whined to J. Gary about it and he took it out.
HOLE 14: Another fantastic hole. Like Hole 11, there is a patch of trees in the fairway's left-hand side about 300' out that is a roll of the dice to thread off the tee. Some seemingly great drives get knocked down here. However, a birdie is still very plausible even if you hit a tree -- you can all but drive a truck down left hand side of the fairway for the rest of the hole. All you need to do is get on the hillside over the second ravine and you're in good shape. In the DGM 89 video, Ricky hit this patch of trees still had an easy birdie. Steve Brinster plays my preferred route for the hole.

I should learn the preliminary design for the worlds pin set for Deer Lakes this weekend, and will post an update. Personally, I think it would be fun to install a few extra d pins to aim for a true gold layout (par 66 = 1000 rated) but I don't think that's a priority given the work that Slippery Rock needs.

Late to the game on this thread, but I thought I'd add my comments on Deer Lakes (blue tees) based on almost 100 rounds over the past five years.

HOLE 1: There's a little randomness in your landing area stance (i.e., a good shot could put your against a tree trunk), but the tee shot to the landing area and the landing area to the green are fair challenges.
HOLE 3: Flags are marked for some drainage improvements!
HOLE 5: Yeah, it's a somewhat fluky putter shot. A couple early trees did come down a year ago, though, but there's not really an alley that I expect to hit. When a shot leaves my hand, I still sometimes can't really tell if it's going to get through or get knocked down.
HOLE 8: Logs are in place for the park to build a mound for the green to make the hole a little more interesting. Grass has grown in over the past year or two to make it a little nicer.
HOLE 9: Phenomenal hole. Fluky if you go the left on the approach to shoot down the cliff (which I sometimes do), but there is a nice fairway. The approach to the D-pin has a dozen trees in a patch that interfere, but otherwise the hole should probably be a gold-level par 4 with pros.
HOLE 11: I have the most fairness-related qualms with this hole, although I still like the hole overall. I throw a turnover shot off the tee, and I find getting past the trees in front of the ravine to be a matter of luck (and getting an unlucky kick left most often means a bogey). The trees are about 250-300' out, and it's just not realistic to aim to thread gaps that far out.
HOLE 13: There used to be a skinny tree on the hillside in the middle of the main left gap. I whined to J. Gary about it and he took it out.
HOLE 14: Another fantastic hole. Like Hole 11, there is a patch of trees in the fairway's left-hand side about 300' out that is a roll of the dice to thread off the tee. Some seemingly great drives get knocked down here. However, a birdie is still very plausible even if you hit a tree -- you can all but drive a truck down left hand side of the fairway for the rest of the hole. All you need to do is get on the hillside over the second ravine and you're in good shape. In the DGM 89 video, Ricky hit this patch of trees still had an easy birdie. Steve Brinster plays my preferred route for the hole.

I should learn the preliminary design for the worlds pin set for Deer Lakes this weekend, and will post an update. Personally, I think it would be fun to install a few extra d pins to aim for a true gold layout (par 66 = 1000 rated) but I don't think that's a priority given the work that Slippery Rock needs.

Great comments. When I pure a drive on a par 4/5 (like 1 and 14); I don't expect to land in a jumble of small trees leaving odd stances and lines due to minute differences in a 300'-350' shot. But that's what I saw at Deer Lakes. 5 and 9 just need a few trees cleared to assert a "gap" or "line" to hit. It doesn't need to be a big gap or line; just a best gap to hit. I just didn't see that gap on those.

Some of the "jumbleness" of the fairways at Deer Lakes might be do to trying to accomodate yet challenge the multiple tees and multiple skill levels. I think Moraine more effectively manages the multiple tees. We are pretty lucky in my area (Charlotte) that we have enough courses that the designers can commit to a single fairway or line of play and difficulty of course. All of the newer courses (post 2000ish designed) using multiple tees will use use the same line of play but add additional distance or strokes.

Both Moraine and Deer Lakes will play well as Worlds courses. The pars are well set for open players based on "typical conditions". If the wind is down, I can see Open players taking advantage of the non-wooded holes at Deer Lakes. I scored a little bit better at Moraine but that was probably due to the fact that I played it first and was probably a little fatigued at the end of Deer Lakes.

Great comments. When I pure a drive on a par 4/5 (like 1 and 14); I don't expect to land in a jumble of small trees leaving odd stances and lines due to minute differences in a 300'-350' shot. But that's what I saw at Deer Lakes. 5 and 9 just need a few trees cleared to assert a "gap" or "line" to hit. It doesn't need to be a big gap or line; just a best gap to hit. I just didn't see that gap on those.

Some of the "jumbleness" of the fairways at Deer Lakes might be do to trying to accomodate yet challenge the multiple tees and multiple skill levels. I think Moraine more effectively manages the multiple tees. We are pretty lucky in my area (Charlotte) that we have enough courses that the designers can commit to a single fairway or line of play and difficulty of course. All of the newer courses (post 2000ish designed) using multiple tees will use use the same line of play but add additional distance or strokes.

Both Moraine and Deer Lakes will play well as Worlds courses. The pars are well set for open players based on "typical conditions". If the wind is down, I can see Open players taking advantage of the non-wooded holes at Deer Lakes. I scored a little bit better at Moraine but that was probably due to the fact that I played it first and was probably a little fatigued at the end of Deer Lakes.

Thanks for sharing -- it's interesting to hear your first impression of the courses. I'm not too concerned about the trees on 1 and 14 that I would want to remove any (which isn't my decision, although I can complain to J. Gary). On 1, you can always stay out in the grass where you'll have a slightly longer shot but will have a good stance and a lane to hit (albeit a narrow uphill lane).

On 14, some trees might be coming down -- I forget what the latest status is. As on 1, you can also throw a shorter shot off the tee if you want to guarantee a better stance. Plus, smacking those trees is usually done with velocity and height so I don't think bad stances occur too frequently. You can also go through a narrower window and the fairway to the right on that hole.

I would pretty severely resist the idea that any trees need to come down on Hole 9. There's a very nice curving fairway road on the approach to the green. I wish they would plant more to make the path to the left of the first shot landing area more of a jail.

Overall, it takes a couple rounds at Deer Lakes to see a few of the lanes. I used to be very intimidated by Hole 14 -- now I look at it as a birdie opportunity.

To try and answer one of the OP's original question, it looks like there are going to be videos for each of the courses. I don't know when they will be completed but it looks like they will be pretty sweet.

You can count Linbrook (or any other courses) out. 4 it is. Linbrook was supposed to be a part of the worlds bid, but when we asked for the park departments approval, the rest of the board members replied "we have a disc golf course being built"

Which took what would have been a complete 18 hole course and stopped it at 9....... for the moment.

4 courses, About 300 players.

Tournament Central will be Slippery Rock University. All field events will happen there as well.

Cranberry, PA is the most centralized location to all courses. 35 to Moraine, 35 to deer Lakes, 40 to Slippery Rock and 5 minutes to Knob. And only 25 minutes to downtown Pittsburgh.

A drone was taken out to the courses and 5 holes at each of the courses was filmed. The video is currently in post processing, but there will definitely be some footage of each of the courses.

This past weekend was the PFDO with Deer Lakes and Knob Hill set up in essentially Worlds layout. The unofficial SSA are below in near perfect weather.
Round 1 - Deer Lakes Blues - 64, Whites - 58
Round 2 - Deer Lakes Blues - 64, Whites - 59
Round 3 - Knob Hill Blues - 59, Whites - 52

Some family things to do in the city... I would suggest heading up to Mt. Washington to take in the view, go down to the Strip District on a Saturday morning, maybe hit up Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, but they are quite a ways away. If you're looking for a crazy time, check out the South Side on a Friday or Saturday night as that is the place to go with over 80 bars.

Places to eat would obviously be Primanti Bros. Another touristy place where tons of people eat is DeLuca's in the Strip. In Slippery Rock, North Country Brewery is a disc golf supporter and has good beer and great food.

If you're looking for breweries, there is a list here. Also be sure to check out Wigle Whiskey. Oh. And of course support the sponsors! :D

Looks like Moraine and Knob Hill will have new sets of concrete tees. Moraine will be Gold & Blue. Knob will be the Blues. Woo Hoo

First 10 concrete tees went in at Moraine SP yesterday! Holes 13, 14, 15, 17 & 18 all have concrete on blue and gold tees

The plan is to be pouring these the next 3 weekends. First set of 10 teepads looks great!

1277913_994095937274283_7441870453818224811_o.jpg

Also, work has been going on at Deer Lakes. The fairway of hole 3 has been torn up and work has been done to reduce the mud. I am not sure whether french drains will be going in or whether this will turn more into a small stream.

10507090_987263947957482_7860768237689867287_o.jpg

And the elevated basket on hole 8 is also having work done to it. I believe that the final plan is to have 5 tiers going up. Will definitely help this hole from being such a filler hole.

10460678_987269404623603_8607246109245784859_n.jpg

Got lots done out there this week at Moraine. Framed more pads and got them ready for concrete pour this Saturday.

It's great to finally see this happening.

Any updates on Moraine? We're thinking of heading out there in the next few weeks, maybe this Sunday, and am wondering how the course looks. Also, what about Deer Lakes? Is it currently playable?