• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Tourney Videos

"I do not have the time to sit through a 4 hour version of DG coverage."

I just watched round 4 in pretty much the same time span as typical condensed versions. Granted...I had to press "right arrow" on keyboard alot to fast forward 5 seconds a click, but that was no biggie and worked fine.

I might need to try that if they don't come out with a condensed version.
I usually watch DG videos on the big screen with the Blu-ray player pulling in the YouTube, and the FF doesn't work well at all.

"I do not have the time to sit through a 4 hour version of DG coverage."

I just watched round 4 in pretty much the same time span as typical condensed versions. Granted...I had to press "right arrow" on keyboard alot to fast forward 5 seconds a click, but that was no biggie and worked fine.

Yep. I do this a lot, especially if videos include tap-in putts, which can add a LOT of time to a video, and it's just guys dropping 3-footers into the basket.

I for one like having longer videos. I don't like it when videos cut out drop ins or even short puts. I think it's incredibly rude to both the person watching and the player himself. If you want to fast forward, fine. But don't make me miss part of the game cuz you decided to cut it short.

Suggestions...

As a guy who is part of the crew that puts out 4 hour videos, let me just suggest something.

1. You can watch almost every video on YouTube in 1.25 or 1.5 speed video if you watch it via the YouTube mobile app or online. That can cut out a lot of video time.

2. If you run across a 4 hour video and there is no alternative to watch. Go ahead and volunteer to comment on the video and include the time code for the start of each hole. Then, the creator could include that in the description.
1:25 - Hole 1
2:56 - Hole 2, etc.

That would help out future viewers skip to specific spots. Just a thought if you have extra time or so. It would help us all out.

Thanks.

I for one like having longer videos. I don't like it when videos cut out drop ins or even short puts. I think it's incredibly rude to both the person watching and the player himself. If you want to fast forward, fine. But don't make me miss part of the game cuz you decided to cut it short.

duuuuuuuuumb

I don't like it when videos cut out drop ins or even short puts. I think it's incredibly rude to both the person watching and the player himself.

Haha what? I don't think Paul McBeth gives a **** if you watch him tap in a 2 footer

I just think that if we want the sport to grow. Broadcasting it more like a ball golf game would be beneficial. You don't see the PGA cutting out one inch tap ins do you? Why do the pros wear sponsorship gear? To be seen. You're cutting them short as well.
Look, my main gripe is that I'm watching to watch the game. As much of it as possible as it is played.

I just think that if we want the sport to grow. Broadcasting it more like a ball golf game would be beneficial. You don't see the PGA cutting out one inch tap ins do you? Why do the pros wear sponsorship gear? To be seen. You're cutting them short as well.
Look, my main gripe is that I'm watching to watch the game. As much of it as possible as it is played.

Actually, you do. Consider that ball golf broadcasts cover the whole course and the whole field at one point or another. For every tap-in shown, there are literally dozens of full shots not shown, even from the leaders or crowd favorites. Usually the only reason they hold a shot on a player as he taps out is because they intend to show his cardmate's putt and elect not to cut away in the meantime. Often, they really don't have much choice but to show it.

Hard to compare live television to edited video though. The better comparison is probably recorded and condensed versions of other sports. ESPN, for example, will often fill their 3am slot with a condensed replay of a game they showed live earlier in the evening (NBA and MLB in particular). In order to fit their pre-determined running time (usually 2 hours), they cut out plays or even entire sections of the game if they feel it didn't have a significant impact on the outcome of the game. NFL Network runs game replays mid-week in which they do the same thing.

I think most disc golf youtube channels are doing the same thing. They're taking a 3-4 hour round and condensing it into a pre-determined period of time. If their goal is to keep the video under 30 minutes or something like that, shaving 4-5 seconds on a tap out makes sense.

Guess who doesn't care about the player's sponsorships... most of the guys putting this stuff on YouTube. The videographers don't get a cut of that. If they wanted to take the time to blur out the sponsors, they could do that. Of course no one would take all that time to do that, it is unrealistic.

Unless you have an agreement with the event, or a specific manufacturer you don't have any obligation to show anyone or their sponsor. The YouTube guys are providing FREE advertising for all of these manufacturers. Whenever they put up what disc a player is throwing... free advertising. Whenever they show the player's shirt... free advertising.

I am not saying that it is a bad thing. Some people prefer a very shortened version. Some people prefer seeing every tap-in shot. Some people like watching a 4 hour, unedited version that can build extra drama. No one is wrong and there is something out there for everyone.

Yeah I understand. When it comes down to it I just voiced an opinion. People have the option to fast forward but others don't have the option to watch what was cut out.

I'm just glad these folks put up these videos when most are doing it on their own dime. I'm friends with the disceye & he has a wife & kids. He doesn't get paid to do it & takes time away from his family to do it, so thanks again to anybody who films these tourneys.

I really appreciate that as well. Thanks to everyone who films these. This is the only thread I'm subscribed to

Yeah I understand. When it comes down to it I just voiced an opinion. People have the option to fast forward but others don't have the option to watch what was cut out.

Let me voice my opinion... if you want to see the tap ins, fly/drive around to all these tournaments and film them yourself. Then you can watch all the tap ins you want.

How about a little winter in the middle of summer? I'm getting cold just watching. :)

Personally, I'm fine with tap-ins getting edited out. If a guy is two feet away from the basket and just has to place a disc in the basket, it's a 99.99% chance it's good (you do have the rare one that messes up for whatever reason), so why bother showing that. I also don't really like the 4 hour videos, as I'd rather spend that time doing other things. I was not aware of the fast forward button, I may do that to watch Paul's ridiculous third round. But by and large, I'll just stick to the condensed versions, and watch anything live if I get the chance. Props to the guys who do the live coverage though, and definitely a huge shoutout to everyone who films these videos on their dime.

Now can we just get back to the tourney video thread?

Leave the tap-ins in and use that time for extra color commentary. Seems the guys from CCDG do this some, and I like it. You don't have to show every tap in, but take advantage of the time you're given when you leave them in to include some extra information/commentary.

Latest posts